Spot in Classic Rock magazine. Bass player?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Swinnow
Overbomber

From Classic Rock magazine.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

:D Great review,! Thanks. :D
I‘d like a bass too, if anyone cares. :von:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Cool ... ;D ... thank you for posting.
Obviously, a real bass would make them complete ...
I agree. Better sound, better look, better dynamic ... if it can be done.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Great photo in that review. Agree about the bass. Had a conversation on twitter with Chris C last week and he's still keen on doing it, so you never know.

Increasingly, I could see it happen. Von has been resistant to change over the last twenty years, but . . . there's been more change lately than I would have thought possible. Lots of new songs, new guitarist etc. Adding a bass player would make a big difference to the live experience, wouldn't cost a huge amount, would keep Chris on side, would be popular with fans (probably the least compelling reason ha ha) and would inject some new life into the band for the next four or five years of touring.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

I second the "add a bassist" theme.

Ain't gonna happen though. Those bass sounds (and the Doktors percussion sounds) are the result of thousands of hours of Eldritch twiddling the knobs until they now sound exactly precisely how he wants them. They're like his effing offspring. You gonna ask a guy to kill his babies? No.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Todashi

Would it not be as simple as just pulling down a slider? Surely the drum tracks and bass tracks are mixed live separately?
Swinnow
Overbomber

Live bass would add so much. I recall when Rich Vernon took up 4 string duties for t'Mish (before the return of the Craig), instantly they were groovier again.
czuczu
Overbomber

Todashi wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 16:28 Would it not be as simple as just pulling down a slider? Surely the drum tracks and bass tracks are mixed live separately?
You think anything is mixed live?

It is more obvious now that so much of what I originally thought was real bass on the albums was actually sequenced.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 17:03
Todashi wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 16:28 Would it not be as simple as just pulling down a slider? Surely the drum tracks and bass tracks are mixed live separately?
You think anything is mixed live?

It is more obvious now that so much of what I originally thought was real bass on the albums was actually sequenced.
Well, not mixed, but each track is separated on their DAW.
Based on the latest pics I saw from the Dok, It seems the first Macbook is the main mid output for Drums in general (While 80% of the songs uses the same presets for drums, some songs have their own VSTs/effects, like Rain from Heaven for instance);
The second Macbook seems to be handling Bass + Strings + Midi Input for Ravey's keyboard (which it seems he's now playing some chords every now and then?)

Everything is sequenced and "mixed" in the sense that the balance between tracks (how loud should be the bass when compared to strings/drums on this given track) that's true, on the other hand, if by a miracle Von decides to hire Chris back as a Bassist, all they would have to do is select "mute track" on the BASS midi track and call it a day.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Todashi

That's what I would have presumed - they'd be able to pull a slider down to mute the programmed bass tracks, or as Husek said above, just click the mute box.
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

I vote for Chris to come back as a bassist as well. That would be cool as f**k, and would add a lot more to the live experience and as thats what they do now they should capitalise on it
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i'd love to see a live bass but realistically youre talking about wages for a fifth band member purely so they have no excuse to butcher Lucretia anymore. (and Tony James still managed to make a pigs ear of it back in the day -check the reading recording!) most songs dont need a real bass (in vons opinion obviously) and those that do Ben picks up.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I guess, for reasons given by Husek, it' s not gonna happen; money is another one. It would cause too much problem with adjusting the tones of bass and his vox, somehow they've managed to do this right just to destroy it by adding live bass for the whole show.
But yes, it would be great for live expirience.
czuczu
Overbomber

Only needed 3 on stage in 85.. Would still have the keyboard fills too, it's not a cost thing.
eastmidswhizzkid

czuczu wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 19:08 Only needed 3 on stage in 85.. Would still have the keyboard fills too, it's not a cost thing.
i wont argue that they did a grand job of re-arranging the songs for a 3 piece after Mark left but they do need 2 guitars really. with Craig having to cover the rhythm parts (cuz even the Gargoyle cant play bar chords and lead simultaneouly) we were left with thin bass then too (1st example off the top of my head being the start of FALAA)
ultimately the reason as ever comes down to 1% whatevr-the-fuck and 99% Andrew's contrariwise curmudgeonliness.

Dan
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 12:41 ...but realistically youre talking about wages...
More than one person has offered to do it for little more then their BFH and still been turned down.
eastmidswhizzkid

Dan wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 00:50
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 12:41 ...but realistically youre talking about wages...
More than one person has offered to do it for little more then their BFH and still been turned down.
including myself lol. as my later post says, it all comes down to uncle andy being his own person. end of.

Swinnow
Overbomber

The band has long since become Von's plaything, so we have to accept he's right even when he's wrong.

A bit like when the kid with the football takes it home when his mum called him in :lol:
Todashi

Yeah, this would only happen if Von wanted it to. I don't think he's ever been particularly motivated by what others want him to do.

But, maybe he'd like to shake things up a bit more too. Like, he's been doing this for a long time, and there's only so much time left to keep doing it. Like, don't get me wrong, there's loads of time, but even so.

Maybe it'd be fun to try it out. Von thinking that is the best chance of it happening.
eastmidswhizzkid

Swinnow wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 10:49 The band has long since become Von's plaything, so we have to accept he's right even when he's wrong.

A bit like when the kid with the football takes it home when his mum called him in :lol:
"if thatss how it is, it aint so bad"
. NOBODY has given me anywhere near the muisical pleasure that the Sisters do/have. ihe can do what the f**k he wants in my book. HE appreciates us. he told us that much.

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

f**k bass, skinny cnut should pull his finger out and sort a drummer ffs.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
eastmidswhizzkid

Planet Dave wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 15:31 f**k bass, skinny cnut should pull his finger out and sort a drummer ffs.
:lol:

GC
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 12:03
Swinnow wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 10:49 The band has long since become Von's plaything, so we have to accept he's right even when he's wrong.

. NOBODY has given me anywhere near the muisical pleasure that the Sisters do/have. ihe can do what the f**k he wants in my book. HE appreciates us. he told us that much.
its not bad but its not optimal..... no he doesnt owe fans anything. Im glad he's still touring. But come on, a Netflix special is definitely needed.
Being645
Above the Chemist

GC wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 22:00
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 12:03

. NOBODY has given me anywhere near the muisical pleasure that the Sisters do/have. he can do what the f**k he wants in my book. HE appreciates us. he told us that much.
its not bad but its not optimal..... no he doesnt owe fans anything. Im glad he's still touring. But come on, a Netflix special is definitely needed.
... :eek: :lol: ... if so, then that would clearly become more likely without a bass player, without a new album, without further new songs ...