Stop what you're doing and click on this!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

Who's the newspaper comic strip daddy?

Garfield
26%
Peanuts
26%
Calvin and Hobbes
37%
Beau Peep
No votes
Fred Basset
No votes
Hagar the Horrible
7%
Andy capp
4%
Striker
No votes
Those old Star Wars comic strips
No votes
Rupert the Bear
No votes

Total votes: 27
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Let's settle this, ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Please don't enquire as to the whereabouts of 'If?' or 'Doonesbury', they aren't really the sort of comic strip I'm talking about - the ones in me list can be enjoyed by anyone of any age.
Gazza for England manager
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Dilbert. Nuff said.

I actually work for the pointy-haired boss, and one of our tech guys resembles our hero. This scares me, yet still provides me with the motivation to do my job.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
elguiri
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Calvin and Hobbes.......................Cooooooooooooooooool!
"Very Elderly Bastard Groovy"
ryan

fucken hell!! fred bassett!! :x :x :urff:

start of strip

"oh dear..theres a bone...i think ill pick it up"

"yes! i picked it up...oh how good i am"

end of strip
DomConway
Filth

Glad to see Calvin & Hobbes doing so well, always loved Hobes' view of humans.
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Fokke & Sukke

http://www.foksuk.nl/

8)
randdebiel²

Calvin & Hobbes, with garfield runner-up for me :)
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
The Green Lantern

Monty Montahue anyone?
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Calvin and Hobbes? Never heard of 'em. Has to be Andy Capp from that lot. Given an open choice, I'd go with Dilbert like Andy. I suppose Giles doesn't count as a comic strip does it?
Go to sleep now, Francis.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

No way, dudes. Snoopy rules, forever. ;D :notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Candover Premiere
Road Kill

Alex in the telegraph.
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

andymackem wrote:Dilbert. Nuff said.

I actually work for the pointy-haired boss, and one of our tech guys resembles our hero. This scares me, yet still provides me with the motivation to do my job.
I've only ever lived in the UK, and can only judge the importance of comic strips based on their impact on Blighty.
I love Dilbert, but I've never seen a Dilbert strip in a British newspaper, and I don't think it has penetrated our popular culture like the other strips.
Karst wrote:Fokke & Sukke

http://www.foksuk.nl/

8)
I've never heard of this. I'm sure it's fab, but I couldn't list every obscure European comic strip - above all else, you can only pick ten options for a poll.
The Green Lantern wrote:Monty Montahue anyone?
See above.
Candover Premiere wrote:Alex in the telegraph.
Who or what is 'Alex'?
Gazza for England manager
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Black Shuck wrote: I've only ever lived in the UK/impact on Blighty/A British newspaper/our popular culture/obscure European/only pick ten options for a poll.
Are you sure you're not a Daily Telegraph reader? :wink:

8)
Angelchild

Calvin & Hobbes. Cool.
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
Robert E
Road Kill

not that I'm particulary fond of "Peanuts", but all the other guys owe their careers to Charles Schultz (sp?)
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Nemi in the Metro!
Only a paand.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Black Shuck wrote:
andymackem wrote:Dilbert. Nuff said.

I've only ever lived in the UK, and can only judge the importance of comic strips based on their impact on Blighty.
I love Dilbert, but I've never seen a Dilbert strip in a British newspaper, and I don't think it has penetrated our popular culture like the other strips.
Sorry, thought we were voting for quality rather than cultural significance. Can't, off the top of my head, recall whether I've seen Dilbert in a UK paper either ... but I know that it has a profound influence in my office. Hey ho ...

Candover Premiere wrote:Alex in the telegraph.
Very funny, but is it a strip? I tend to think of individual cartoons. Not that I ever read the Telegraph, of course. Errmmm. My friend. Picked on up on the tube one time. By accident. Thought it was the Sport. :oops:

Actually, even though I don't agree with it very often, I enjoy the Telegraph. At least it argues its case intelligently, unless most of the right-wing press. And it's a bit less sanctimonious than the Guardian, which has the knack of making me disagree with my own opinions simply because I don't much like the people who share them :evil:
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

andymackem wrote:And it's a bit less sanctimonious than the Guardian, which has the knack of making me disagree with my own opinions simply because I don't much like the people who share them :evil:
i know exactly what you mean. i only buy the grauniad on saturdays (for my life is not complete without the cultural guide that is the guide) and have to admit that the main section rarely receives more than a cursory glance due to the sanctimonious tone throughout. their sports coverage is very good though i tend to read that on t'internet anyway. but apart from that i'll stick to my baby-size independent.

hmmm.... time for a poll?
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Theres only one Garfield...

Ginger, self-centered and lazy..... mmmmmm

Paddy. :)
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
karin

Gary Larsson in the Evening Standard is the best. I have one of his cartoons on my frigo, 'The dawn of Man' with a bewildered neanderthal falling, flat on his face, out of a tree. :notworthy: :notworthy: :lol:
Zwei bier bitte.....
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

mr strange sometimes gets called 'calvin'
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

karin wrote:Gary Larsson in the Evening Standard is the best. I have one of his cartoons on my frigo, 'The dawn of Man' with a bewildered neanderthal falling, flat on his face, out of a tree. :notworthy: :notworthy: :lol:
Karin, I absolutley adore your avatar :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

There was a women stood at the bus stop in Leeds who looked just like that! Took a lot of strength not to laugh :lol: :lol:
Only a paand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There's a lot of 'women' in Leeds that look like that :? :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

How right you are Mr Fiend, you just need to go down to t'phono to realise that!!!! LOL
Only a paand.