NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

lazycatze wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 21:50
deirfiur wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 16:54 The money these days is in gigs not recording.. so, by not releasing new songs, then fans have to go to gigs to hear them...it provides a reason for fans to buy tickets.... it makes (some) financial sense..
I guess that gigs are the only way for him to get some money. I don't think that they can get enough from merch or physical releases of the old material.
I love to disagree on this one. Even if he released the news songs in form of a live album in 20 different vinyl colors, I know personally that I had to buy all releases just to keep my record collector sanity intact.
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Drsisters

Some songs works great as openers, some just doesn't cut it..

My fave openers :
*First And Last And Always
*Comfortably Numb/Some Kind Of Stranger
*Kiss The Carpet
*Alice
*Romeo Down
*Crash And Burn
*Ribbons
*But Genevive
*More (Long Version)
*Vision Thing

Least fave openers:
*Flood 2
*Giving Ground
*Dominion/Mother Russia
*Lucretia My Reflection
*Temple Of Love
*More (Short Version)
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
LyanvisAberrant

Honestly, I've said this before and I'll say it again. They don't even need to record an album. There are hundreds of youtube channels that host incredibly well recorded and filmed sessions of live bands. Check out what Aha have done with take on me - that wouldn't have happened in a studio. Deezer, KEXP, end of the road, even OGWT back in the day. A more controlled environment to capture the tone and feeling of a live band without having to get them in for weeks of studio time.
This would be a really good way to accrue some new fans. Some people just aren't cut out for listening to over-blown PA audience recordings, as clear as they may be. Especially in times when the bands performances flit between Gronigen 2022 and Antwerp 2022. That is to say good, and bad.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:00 Honestly, I've said this before and I'll say it again. They don't even need to record an album. There are hundreds of youtube channels that host incredibly well recorded and filmed sessions of live bands. Check out what Aha have done with take on me - that wouldn't have happened in a studio. Deezer, KEXP, end of the road, even OGWT back in the day. A more controlled environment to capture the tone and feeling of a live band without having to get them in for weeks of studio time.
I'd gladly take something like a new BBC session set of recordings with new material. But sadly I think Von wants a lot of the control when it comes to anything in the studio.
:von: Check out my Artwork: https://x.com/NicksArtCorner :von:
lazycatze
Road Kill

Drsisters wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 04:35 I love to disagree on this one. Even if he released the news songs in form of a live album in 20 different vinyl colors, I know personally that I had to buy all releases just to keep my record collector sanity intact.
Actually I meant the OLD material - like re-issues of the old albums or streaming fees.
But the same here - I ready to buy any kind of releases of the new songs (as well as re-issues of the old things) :D
Pista
Cureboi

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:00 Honestly, I've said this before and I'll say it again. They don't even need to record an album. There are hundreds of youtube channels that host incredibly well recorded and filmed sessions of live bands.
If you're happy with the dreadful audio quality youtube spews out then fair enough. Personally, I would like to be able to listen to high quality recordings.
LyanvisAberrant wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:00 .......... A more controlled environment to capture the tone and feeling of a live band without having to get them in for weeks of studio time.
Aren't those sessions recorded............in studios?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:00 Honestly, I've said this before and I'll say it again. They don't even need to record an album. There are hundreds of youtube channels that host incredibly well recorded and filmed sessions of live bands. Check out what Aha have done with take on me - that wouldn't have happened in a studio. Deezer, KEXP, end of the road, even OGWT back in the day. A more controlled environment to capture the tone and feeling of a live band without having to get them in for weeks of studio time.
This would be a really good way to accrue some new fans. Some people just aren't cut out for listening to over-blown PA audience recordings, as clear as they may be. Especially in times when the bands performances flit between Gronigen 2022 and Antwerp 2022. That is to say good, and bad.
I don't think it's recording that's an issue - I have no doubt whatsoever that recorded versions of most of these songs do exist, even if only in rough demo or practice form. High quality home recording on a PC or laptop is a reality these days as well - Spiritualized (among no doubt others) have entire albums recorded this way.

It's releasing that's the problem. All the legalities, logistics, and crap around that. I know that people have self-released, or released digitally via services such as Bandcamp, or even crowd-funded, but as I understand it, Von still has the idea that the Sisters are a major band, and that releasing in that kind of manner is not appropriate for them. So for him it's a traditional deal with a traditional company, and a traditional release in the shops. And in fairness, it's his band so he does get to call the shots on that, frustrating as it may be.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I don't think it's recording that's an issue - I have no doubt whatsoever that recorded versions of most of these songs do exist . . .
Yep, they play along to them live.
halfback68
Road Kill

Would love to hear fully produced versions of the new songs but if it needs a major company deal for that to be released its not going to happen. A distribution deal could be possible but it would mean the sisters recording and packaging up front. The fan base, and therefore total sales is too small for the majors to offer a fair/decent contract and Von has been burnt before so won't accept a deal loaded against the band.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

Todashi wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 17:40
I don't think it's recording that's an issue - I have no doubt whatsoever that recorded versions of most of these songs do exist . . .
Yep, they play along to them live.
:lol: :von:
Todashi

'Here' is growing on me. I'd like to take a second to congratulate Dylan on adding something genuinely unique and new to the sisters sound. That acoustic section before Ben's solo is excellent. It's creative, interesting, totally fits and is completely unique in the sisters canon.

I can't think of any other Sisters track that includes that style of acoustic break down, complete with harmonics and a kind of pre-solo - this song is significantly better because it's there, and it stops the song sonically sounding like all the others. I presume Dylan wrote it just because he plays it live, but it's really interesting, and it gives 'Here' a depth I'm not sure it would have otherwise. This sounds like the most fully realised of the songs to me because of it.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Todashi wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 11:19 'Here' is growing on me. I'd like to take a second to congratulate Dylan on adding something genuinely unique and new to the sisters sound. That acoustic section before Ben's solo is excellent. It's creative, interesting, totally fits and is completely unique in the sisters canon.

I can't think of any other Sisters track that includes that style of acoustic break down, complete with harmonics and a kind of pre-solo - this song is significantly better because it's there, and it stops the song sonically sounding like all the others. I presume Dylan wrote it just because he plays it live, but it's really interesting, and it gives 'Here' a depth I'm not sure it would have otherwise. This sounds like the most fully realised of the songs to me because of it.
Fully seconded, couldn't say it any better ... :D :notworthy: ...
LyanvisAberrant

Being645 wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 11:34
Todashi wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 11:19 'Here' is growing on me. I'd like to take a second to congratulate Dylan on adding something genuinely unique and new to the sisters sound. That acoustic section before Ben's solo is excellent. It's creative, interesting, totally fits and is completely unique in the sisters canon.

Fully seconded, couldn't say it any better ... :D :notworthy: ...
Also, on that note (as a guitarist who jams a lot of sisters songs for fun) playing the main piano riff of 'here' really feels like a sisters fiff. Actually feels very floodlandy to play, if that makes any sense.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

You’re right, it’s an absolute cracker
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Wilkstein
Road Kill

When I'm On Fire is literally on fire.
LyanvisAberrant

Wilkstein wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 22:40 When I'm On Fire is literally on fire.
for those that haven't heard...
OOOOOOH THEY'RE BACK BABBYYYYYYYYYYY
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Instant bloody classic!
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
LyanvisAberrant

He just looks like he's having more fun than he's had in a long time and I am in absolute full support. Keep flying whatever flag it is your flying andrew, we're right here behind ya.
Todashi

Okay the two new songs played last night need to be reckoned with. They're really strong. Like, what the hell happened?

How have they managed to write so many bangers in such a short period of time, compared to the output of the lasts 25 years? Has Von been sitting on some of these for decades, waiting for the right album offer? Are they genuinely the work of Ben, Dylan and Von equally?

What am I missing? This is really not typical of a dried out husk of a band, which is what I'd kinda grown to think of the Sisters as. The last ten years has seen f**k all activity, bar the odd cover version, and endless tours rehashing the 1990s versions of the hits.

But this 22 edition of the Sisters is genuinely something vital and new. I'm genuinely surprised.

Also, and I know as I say/type it how it sounds, but these songs really do sound like an album. There's a stylistic thread running through them and they fit together well. Some of them sound fully finished, some sound like they could do with a few days in a studio to fill them out, but there's no doubt in my mind, there's a strong album and one or two cracking b-sides on display.

Did I ever think I'd find myself saying that? No.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

I don’t think Ravy’s part in all of this should be understated
Goths have feelings too
Todashi

paint it black wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 12:33 I don’t think Ravy’s part in all of this should be understated
Yes, I've heard people suggest this on here and elsewhere. Genuinely just wondering why you think that? Has he been credited with musical input somewhere I've missed? I've always taken his role to be a sort of honorary 4th (human) member, there to sort the setlists and trigger the sequencers. No disrespect intended to the guy - does he have a more active role? I'd presumed Von programmed the drums, bass and keys.

That said, I think I did once see a keyboard reflected in the mirrors behind Davey at a gig before the pandemic when they kicked off this run. Does he play keys? Totally happy to give credit where it's due, if it's fact due. If he's been instrumental in getting this spate of songs kicked off, good for him and Go Ravey Davey!
Husek

Todashi wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 12:36
paint it black wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 12:33 I don’t think Ravy’s part in all of this should be understated
Yes, I've heard people suggest this on here and elsewhere. Genuinely just wondering why you think that? Has he been credited with musical input somewhere I've missed? I've always taken his role to be a sort of honorary 4th (human) member, there to sort the setlists and trigger the sequencers. No disrespect intended to the guy - does he have a more active role? I'd presumed Von programmed the drums, bass and keys.

That said, I think I did once see a keyboard reflected in the mirrors behind Davey at a gig before the pandemic when they kicked off this run. Does he play keys? Totally happy to give credit where it's due, if it's fact due. If he's been instrumental in getting this spate of songs kicked off, good for him and Go Ravey Davey!
He has been playing some chords here and there and minor melodies afaik
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
czuczu
Overbomber

I don't think Von has programmed anything for a very long while. It was Andreas' job back in the VT days, think it's always been a band member since then.
iesus
Overbomber

i like the Ravy’s Intro in But Genevieve :D
I believe most of us in here or those that go to the concerts and follow the band are very well aware about his contribution. Those that don't follow close don't. :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Todashi

iesus wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 15:17 i like the Ravy’s Intro in But Genevieve :D
I believe most of us in here or those that go to the concerts and follow the band are very well aware about his contribution. Those that don't follow close don't. :bat:
:roll: