NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Well, there is a page in the SistersWiki, which surely also needs to be reworked ... but I can't cut myself into pieces ...
https://sisterswiki.org/Ravey_Davey

and the current role of Ravey Davey is described by Ben in that recent German interview ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28419
Last edited by Being645 on 16 Apr 2022, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 16:04 Well, there is a page in the SistersWiki, which surely also needs to be reworked ... but I can't cut myself into pieces.
https://sisterswiki.org/Ravey_Davey

and the current role of Ravey Davey is described by Ben in that recent German interview ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28419
Thanks for that. I didn't realise he was so involved. Whatever is happening with the band, I hope it keeps happening. He's not credited on the main site for writing the new songs, but I suppose that doesn't mean he hasn't had a role in the way they sound or the way they are arranged etc.
Last edited by Todashi on 16 Apr 2022, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Todashi wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 16:18 Thanks for that. I didn't realise he was so involved. Whatever is happening with the band, I hope it keeps happening. He's not credited on the main site for writing the new songs, but I suppose that doesn't mean he hasn't had a role in the way they sound or the way they are arranged etc.
Oh well, on my part you are forgiven anyway.
mh
Above the Chemist

The times I've met Ravey it's been very clear that he does a lot more than just standing behind a couple of Macbooks pressing buttons and waving his arms. He's shown a very keen interest in the songs, what people thought of them, and has shown pride in the ones he thinks are best.

He may not have writing credits but he's obviously an important part of the band, and it was great to see that importance recognised by his inclusion in the recent official band photo.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

Ben told me Creff was heavily involved getting the new songs together when they started working on them. I guess he doesn't "write" much if anything, but he's crucial to the "production" and sequencing with drums, bass, keys etc. And it sounded like he's in full charge of The Doktor nowadays. I had a good look on his keyboard via the mirror behind him the other day, and he seems to be playing a lot of the lead synth parts.

I feel some songs sound quite "produced" (like the "phone line" bridge in I Will Call You), which I like because it probably brings the songs closer to an album like sound.

Has anyone noticed that the lead synth in When I'm On Fire plays a melody similar to the organ motif in the Vincent Price part of Michael Jackson's Thriller?
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Todashi

doctor_jeep wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 08:53 Has anyone noticed that the lead synth in When I'm On Fire plays a melody similar to the organ motif in the Vincent Price part of Michael Jackson's Thriller?
Yes, it's pretty similar. I really like it but it's too close to be accidental. They have to know - Ben is such an 80s fan.
Being645
Above the Chemist

mh wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 22:57 He may not have writing credits but he's obviously an important part of the band, and it was great to see that importance recognised by his inclusion in the recent official band photo.
And wasn't it widely thanks to him that all the old Sisters data got converted into present-time working format ... a rather tedious toil the band had escaped for ... decades ... :lol: ...
Todashi

doctor_jeep wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 08:53 Ben told me Creff was heavily involved getting the new songs together when they started working on them. I guess he doesn't "write" much if anything, but he's crucial to the "production" and sequencing with drums, bass, keys etc. And it sounded like he's in full charge of The Doktor nowadays. I had a good look on his keyboard via the mirror behind him the other day, and he seems to be playing a lot of the lead synth parts.
Well, look, whatever they're doing, it's obviously working. If Davey has been in anyway involved, then that's fantastic. Something has happened to get things moving, and it's great. I'll always go see the Sisters if I can - no gigs in Ireland this time around and I haven't got tickets to anything on this tour -- but I"m seriously thinking about travelling to catch one of the remaining shows. And the reason isn't the old songs.

They're great, but I've seen 'that' show over ten times. I want to see 'this' show now. I want to wonder which of the classics will get played, as well as which of the fantastic new songs.

I think the live show has been hugely revitalised by these new songs. They can now tour for a good few years on the back of them. I also get the sense that they're not holding anything back anymore. Maybe Von is thinking of retiring and has a now-or-never thing going on, who knows? Maybe he was holding some ideas back for the album he insisted we weren't getting, and has decided to play it all.

Either way, it doesn't matter. A 2022 Sisters show is something quite different from even three or four years ago, and it's a long long time since anyone could say that.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

iesus wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 15:17 i like the Ravy’s Intro in But Genevieve :D
I believe most of us in here or those that go to the concerts and follow the band are very well aware about his contribution. Those that don't follow close don't. :bat:
Well put 😀
Goths have feelings too
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Todashi wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 09:50 I think the live show has been hugely revitalised by these new songs. They can now tour for a good few years on the back of them. I also get the sense that they're not holding anything back anymore. Maybe Von is thinking of retiring and has a now-or-never thing going on, who knows? Maybe he was holding some ideas back for the album he insisted we weren't getting, and has decided to play it all.

Either way, it doesn't matter. A 2022 Sisters show is something quite different from even three or four years ago, and it's a long long time since anyone could say that.
I agree completely, the quoted above is exactly what I have felt both after listening to YT clips and seeing them in Dresden. It feels like a new band, and I don't mean since Dylan joined (which obviously was the biggest change), no, they have taken a clear step since the Roundhouse gigs! Very uncompromisingly choosing new songs now to fill half the setlist with, even if it of course has the consequence of the crowd not getting as much into it as they would have with more classics being played.
Crucial is of course also the attitude centre-stage, that Andrew is singing the new songs loud and clear and dedicated, and that most of the new songs are far kinder to his voice compared to Flood II or Vision Thing of course.

Btw yes you should get a ticket to one of the remaining shows, you never know what the future will bring or if the festival set will be the same! :)

Personally I wonder a bit what they are up to in the break between Madrid and Wroclaw, guess the original plan was to do a few Latin America dates because this kind of break is too long to serve as a break and too short to pack go home and then unpack all equipment again. Can we hope for some more sessions at Trix?
iesus
Overbomber

We already have a studio version of "When i am on Fire"

Tobias i think :notworthy: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

Uuh, gotta give that a listen later. I'm curious whether they'll bang out even more newbies in Brussels.
iesus wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 15:17 i like the Ravy’s Intro in But Genevieve :D
Speaking of Brussels, they should open one of the shows with that. I'd love to hear it again.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Craig Fox
Road Kill

Todashi wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 09:50
doctor_jeep wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 08:53 Ben told me Creff was heavily involved getting the new songs together when they started working on them. I guess he doesn't "write" much if anything, but he's crucial to the "production" and sequencing with drums, bass, keys etc. And it sounded like he's in full charge of The Doktor nowadays. I had a good look on his keyboard via the mirror behind him the other day, and he seems to be playing a lot of the lead synth parts.
Well, look, whatever they're doing, it's obviously working. If Davey has been in anyway involved, then that's fantastic. Something has happened to get things moving, and it's great. I'll always go see the Sisters if I can - no gigs in Ireland this time around and I haven't got tickets to anything on this tour -- but I"m seriously thinking about travelling to catch one of the remaining shows. And the reason isn't the old songs.

They're great, but I've seen 'that' show over ten times. I want to see 'this' show now. I want to wonder which of the classics will get played, as well as which of the fantastic new songs.

I think the live show has been hugely revitalised by these new songs. They can now tour for a good few years on the back of them. I also get the sense that they're not holding anything back anymore. Maybe Von is thinking of retiring and has a now-or-never thing going on, who knows? Maybe he was holding some ideas back for the album he insisted we weren't getting, and has decided to play it all.

Agree completely - to me the last few years have revived the shows. Love Genevieve as a "new song" but so quickly its morphing into an "old" back catalogue - its hard keeping up
fractalsister
Road Kill

Personally I wonder a bit what they are up to in the break between Madrid and Wroclaw, guess the original plan was to do a few Latin America dates because this kind of break is too long to serve as a break and too short to pack go home and then unpack all equipment again. Can we hope for some more sessions at Trix?
A concert in Kyiv on the 9th of May, perhaps? They could even play Dominion with lyrics slightly altered for the occasion.

Would be a good way to p*ss on someone's parade.
iesus
Overbomber

fractalsister wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:02
A concert in Kyiv on the 9th of May, perhaps? They could even play Dominion with lyrics slightly altered for the occasion.

Would be a good way to p*ss on someone's parade.
Sure and selling the "Sisters Gegen N***s" tee in the merchandise stand and see what will happen to them :roll:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

Yes, send musicians into a war zone to perform amongst rubble for people in bunkers. They can bring back the Andrews Sisters cover for that forces sweetheart vibe. That'll really show Putin who's boss!
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ain't that a banger
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
TheBoyNextDoor

This is good; love the new songs.

They know what they need to do after the tour.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

TheBoyNextDoor wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 22:30 This is good; love the new songs.

Yeah, tour England! ;D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
TheBoyNextDoor

Planet Dave wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 22:57

Yeah, tour England! ;D
Of course... after. :D
LyanvisAberrant

TheBoyNextDoor wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 23:08

Yeah, tour England! ;D
Of course... after. :D
I think I would happily take the trade off of no tour for a few years in return for an album, as long as it meant Von was still able to pay the bills.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

This one sounded distractingly like No Time To Cry to my ears. I’d have to listen to it again to get that out of my head. Very 1985 vibe. Very pleased to hear another new song though!
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Yeah, tour England! ;D
Right after they play Scotland. :P
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

and another new song! how exciting! 8)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 17:31 and another new song! how exciting! 8)
Very.
I was worried the break caused by the pandemic might have killed their momentum.
Thankfully, the machine appears to be at maximum revs! :D
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!