The Mi$$ion - Why all the cr@p???

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Gary and Craig went on their own accord. Wayne actually stayed the longest - and tried to keep the band together. Gary/Mark wanted to walk pretty much as soon as Wayne got on board.

The Mish was never really about records. It was the lifestyle during the Eighties and paying back in the 90ies. Actually the Mk II line up is the one I prefer. Excellent sound and a lot tighter. The Mk I was great as an outfit, but listening to their live-gigs a bit ramshackle in places.

IMHO it was Andrew who wanted to break the line-up and take more control musically himself. That and the exhaustion from touring and substance abuse must have triggered the decision to move and start afresh.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I was never convinced that the Von/Wayne split was as acrimonious as was made out in the Music Press. After all, both camps got a lot of coverage out of it, and no publicity is bad publicity.
It obviously was deliberate publicity trick to use the Sisterhood name. But also a race agains time to ensure the WEA publishing advance which Eldritch got in the end by releasing Giving Ground. Although there was never a legal case, there was a story and the music press did eventually help the Mish to a great deal of publicity and Serpents Kiss to the No.1 in the indie chart.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

What Karst said.

It's making me all misty-eyed and nostalgic. I'll have to dig out Children when I get home. :eek: That makes me sound like Fred West :eek:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

ouch!
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

But a very funny ouch! :lol:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Quiff Boy wrote:gods own whatsit: whoa there wayney baby, hang on a sec. what the hell are you doing? production is shocking - its a very "small" album, and barring a couple of feisty riffs its all a bit poor really.

i confess i have only heard the first few seconds of "aura" - the fisr few bars of that first track that is basically just FALAA in all but name... doh! :roll:
I beg to differ on both counts.

Gods Own Medicine is FANTASTIC. It's Wayne and Company at their finest...great all around sound. There is Nothing Small about it...in fact it's HUGE all the way round, from the drums, bass, guitars and Wayne's vocals. And yes I like the lyrics too. It utterly rocks.

AurA *cough* equated with FALAA? Farthest from the truth. Nothing similar there, especially in the first trak which is entitled, Evangeline. Evangeline Evangeline bow down and worship the whiplash Queen....If you like that one, and I do...try Slave to Lust..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Nothing in AurA that remotely resembles the broken hearted love songs on FALAA, and soundwise..forget about it.

AurA is probably the most like God's Own Medicine in sheer sound and lyrics. Was once told it's GOM rightful successor! :D And Craig...OH MY GOD....such bass lines. He's great! Wayne hit the ball out of the park with this issue...it's been a long time coming but it's fabulous...(compared to what was put out in the 90's).

@Ryan: Try Amazon.com. half.com and ebay for M*sh. I got most of mine in cd format from them. You can also try the mi*sh homepage for AurA and the singles off AurA. And of course....Karst. :wink:
Dave R
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Well well....

It appears to have worked, got you lot talking bout T'Mish!!!
Few things I notice reading the above...

Agreed - Some P1ss Poor records were made, "lovely" come on...! but then again "under the gun"...it aint even a TSOM song...
Legal Stuff - yep, sisterhood lp = spoiler, yep the Journo Wars of 86/87 were FANTASTIC to follow...great cartoons of Von and Hussey in the MM, vitriol full interviews, all fuelling the fires of "All press is good press" for BOTH parties...

Would be interesting to poll :

Who did you hear first TSOM, Mish, Neff Other...try it out kids....

For me, it is all too funny for words, I mean, Jackie Girls Comic having pull out posters of the Mish, TSOM in Smash Hits...it bought our music out of the shadows and into the public eye, (no pun intended) and maybe, just maybe, if it were not for the high profile that a certain band attained :wink: there may not have been a heartland...... :innocent: :innocent:
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, yeah. As I've said before, I got into The Sisters via the Mish. And then the Neff and various other dodgy Goffs after that ;D

I remember seeing the Sisters stuff in Smash Hits, but never actually buying it. I thought I was "too cool" to buy Smash Hits I suppose!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Karst
Slight Overbomber

God's Own Medicine is a speed album. Recorded by Tim Palmer http://www.timpalmer.com who actually would do very well to produce the next Sisters album. His no-nonsense apporach would do very well for it. And he has a bit of a quiff too.

AurA remains an album that has a problem with balance. The first 5/6 tracks are great but after that the momentum slips away a bit. That is a regular occurance with Mish albums (see Children/Carved in Sand 2nd parts). Only album that seems to step away from that is Neverland - oddly enough. Probably because it took such a long time to record.

8)
Lowrider
Road Kill

Johnny Boy wrote:
mh wrote:My main prob with the M****** is that W**** broke up the classic Sisters line up - in particular, alienating Gary and taking Craig with him when he left are 2 unforgivable sins.
We are talking about grown adults here aren't we? Each with their own ambitions, business acumen, sense of direction and ability to make their own decisions? As opposed to a gang of 9 year olds?
Yes, but they're in rock and roll. A business in which the maturity of toddlers, let alone 9-year-olds is rare enough...

LR
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

I shall be going to Keighly FOR THE MISH. I shall be going to Whitby (probably) mainly FOR THE MISH. They rock, and this whole mish/sisters thing is as childish as theNew kids/Take that debate! (but we all know that New kids were FAR better)
Only a paand.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

The other point being, the Mish have always been much better live than on record.

Which is sadly quiet the opposite of Von these days.
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Ed Rhombus wrote:The other point being, the Mish have always been much better live than on record.

Which is sadly quiet the opposite of Von these days.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

They do rule live
Only a paand.
keys
Road Kill

I got into The Mish before the Sisters, which for most of you, is quite probably a sin in itself!

Both bands are different and both have had their classic moments and utter sh1te moments.

'God's Own Medicine', 'The First Chapter', 'Children' & 'Carved in Sand' were all good albums, then they went well off the boil until the release of 'AurA', which has more high points than low - and yes, 'Evangeline' is a right old riff rip of 'FALAA' - which is mildly amusing in itself.

...and The Mish are definitely a live band - often sounding much better than on record - anyone who went to The Forum last year must agree!

...and, here's the unpopular bit... you can actually hear and feel the bass at a Mish gig - which is more than i can say for the background music The Sisters provided the last time i saw them at Manchester's Academy 1.

Anyhow... from the small number of times i've seen various incarnations of The Sisters, i still reckon the Smurphs do it far better!

The Sisters always sound much better on record when played in clubs though...

...and yes... i'm off to Keighley (why there, eh?) to see The Mish next month...

Whatever happened to Rosetta Stone then? I remember sending off for a couple of their demos - both on cassette - one with a white cover, one black - i think one was called 'Chapter and Verse', the other's name escapes me...

I remember them playing a couple of times at a place called the 'Bishopgate Venue' near Leeds City Station - sadly now some sort of food place, i believe. A small venue full of people chanting 'Quarriers... Quarriers...' I think it was Porl's other half (?) who used to stand at the side of the stage in all her g*thery offering the floor of their flat to anyone who wanted to go and see the band play in Liverpool!

Then they played a proper metal venue in Leeds which was called Scrumpies, much to the offence of the regulars who gathered outside looking for a fight with the g*ths! I remember that show starting really late because their drum machine f*cked up and Carl had to drive back to Liverpool for backup.

Eeeeh... those were t' days... i say, those were t' days... (use a Fred Elliott voice for full effect)

Nowadays, you'll just have to make do with Rhombus (shameless plug, sorry...)
Last edited by keys on 04 Mar 2004, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Good lad that Mr Rhombus. He;s gonna give me his shades y'know!!!
Only a paand.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

he's
<sigh>
Only a paand.
keys
Road Kill

Stealing words from The Mish's classic (?) cover from the 'Children' album... 'Dream On...'
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

And again from 'grains of sand'................... mercenary
Only a paand.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Great song...Wayne angry ('cus most of his crew went off to do Tour Thing).

You're a sycophantic, bullsh*itting, cock sucking, arse licking, mercenary
Mind numbing, money grabbing, motherf*cking scum of the earth, mercenary
You're a cringing, grovelling chicken shi*t, pissing waste of time
You're a crawling, whining hypocrite, you f*cking piece of slime
You can take the money and run, but there's nowhere you can hide,
You arsehole mercenary

So you are so hard done by.
But you took me for a ride, you sh*tty mercenary
You're a parasite of the f*cking world, cockroach I wanna kill
If I don't catch you first then instant karma will
So screw you, f*ck you
Screw you, f*ck you
You're a cringing, grovelling chicken sh*t, pissing waste of time
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Karst wrote:Great song...Wayne angry ('cus most of his crew went off to do Tour Thing).

You arsehole mercenary

So screw you, f*ck you
Screw you, f*ck you
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

fooking love that song
Only a paand.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Well here's my tuppence-worth.

I loved the Mish, up until around the time of Tower Of Strength, then the love affair had to end. I latched onto them because I got into the Sisters right after FALAA, when the classic lineup had just gone their seperate ways. So in a way it was a case of "no more Sisters, better get into the Mish then". The early shows were good, Glasgow QMU, Newcastle City Hall, Edinburgh Coasters, etc. I think I saw them about 6 times in total.

The girl I was with at the time had a major crush on Wayne, and the Mish sorta became 'our' band. She even got handed a rose by Wayne at one of those early Newcastle shows. She had it dried and framed, the sad bitch :)

Anyways, once Floodland arrived I don't think I ever listened to the Mish again, there was no need, TSOM were back, baby :)
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Karst wrote:Great song...Wayne angry ('cus most of his crew went off to do Tour Thing).

You arsehole mercenary

So screw you, f*ck you
Screw you, f*ck you
:notworthy: it was cool when he played that in Leeds on his solo tour, with the audience singing along... :D
The Scene won't save you...
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

That WAS ace, especially when he sang the chorus again as he 'liked it' LOL
Only a paand.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Wonder who it was directed at this time ;)
Was that the New Roscoe (sp?) gig?

8)
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

cardigan arms
Only a paand.