Hello from a Newbie

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
WindyMiller
Road Kill

Just joined this forum, after 17 years since my last Sisters gig at the Nottingham Red Rooms. Never even knew this forum existed…

I’ve been a fan since ‘87 when the This Corrosion video ‘blew my mind’ as a 15 year old hormonally-charged, angst-ridden, ‘dislocated’ (and dispossessed 😄) teenage youf with no clue of where he ‘belonged’.

And then Andy and Patti came along and changed all that for me and I became a self-confessed Goth. Went shopping at Afflex Palace in Manchester (does it even still exist anymore?) and bought myself a leather biker jacket, suede zip-up pixie boots, skinny-leg black Levi’s (which I promptly ‘distressed’), an arm full of bangles, a purple flowing shirt etc. I even got my then GF to dye my hair ‘Raven Black’, which went very wrong and turned my somewhat fluffy ears a lovely shade of blue-black 🤣🤣🤣

Inevitably I bought lots of their vinyl from some
stall on Burnley market with my paper-round earnings (which i still have in a box in the loft - the records, not my paper round tips!) and subject my wife (not the ear-hair dying GF of 1987!) and kids to the FaLaA, FL and VT albums from time to time. On rare occasions I might even ‘treat’ them to an odd m*****n tune, but I suspect such heresy will not be tolerated in these hallowed grounds…

Saw the Sisters first at Reading in ‘91, then 14 years later in Nottinghams red rooms in ‘05 and now a 3rd time in 31 years in Copenhagen (I don’t like to oversubscribe to just one band 😉).

Times and life have moved on and I no longer have any hair to dye any colour, can’t fit into a pair of black skinny Levi’s 501, and mainly shop at M&S, or TK Maxx if I’m feeling particularly ‘flamboyant’…

So that’s me in a nutshell.
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Hi Windy Miller, and welcome to the Heartland Forums ... ;D ;D ;D ...

Maybe you might also like to have a look at our very own SistersWiki ... :bat: :hl: .. ;D .. :hl: :bat: ...
WindyMiller
Road Kill

Thanks Being645 - another hitherto unknown resource. Where have I been hiding these past ~20years… 🤷‍♂️
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Oh well, you've got plenty years to enjoy all these resources now whenever you please ... :D ...
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @WindyMiller & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Yo! Welcome to Heartland. :von: :hl:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
FireInReptileHouse
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hello and welcome!
we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us
Memphis Rich
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hello there, and welcome to Heartland :D

I too bought my leather jacket from Afflex Palace back in '89, and promptly had it painted with the Dominion sleeve in '90. Still going strong (see pic.)

Yes, This Corrosion blew my mind too, and Reading '91 was excellent.
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
ruffers
Overbomber

"Windy Miller" one for the kids there. Hello and welcome.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 24 May 2022, 06:19 "Windy Miller" one for the kids there. Hello and welcome.
Ah yes, those old cartoons! :D :lol:

Far too quaint and innocent - gotta be some sort of Wicker man, 'local town for local people' goings on lurking underneath! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to Heartland! :D :D
Wyrd Sister
Road Kill

Welcome from a fellow newb. :D
Much too young but far too old, to be all cranked up with nowhere to go
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Affleck's Palace still going strong 8) welcome.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
WindyMiller
Road Kill

Thanks all for the welcomes.

Cannot believe (but glad to hear) that Afflecks is still ‘alive’! 👍

I am indeed a child of the windymiller / bagpuss / Wombles era, but the ‘handle’ is as much a tangential reflection on my profession these days, and is also my handle on some other forums. 🙂

I painted my jacket with the VT album cover but didn’t think to look for it in the loft before coming to Denmark this week with work and buying tickets to their gig tonight 🤷‍♂️

In fairness the chances of it remotely fitting me 30+ years later are VERY slim (unlike me these days…!) 😆😆😆