Those bootleggers ...

Have you established a good reputation at HL and got some Sisters stuff to sell or trade with the community? Or are you searching for that elusive ultra rare live bootleg from 1988? Ever had a bad experience with a trader on Ebay? Let us all know here. Outdated threads will be purged over time.

Warning: Newcomers posting here first will be treated like spammers. At least have the courtesy to say hello in General Chat first...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Randal Flagg in The Stand by Steven King is referred to as "the last magician of rational thought".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

i am the best boot title there is
and i came in a nice package as well
:lol: :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote:Randal Flagg in The Stand by Steven King is referred to as "the last magician of rational thought".
didn't know that, thanks. i've read more bad king novels -that is to say, badly written- than good ones and only bother picking them up on recommendation. does the stand get the meercat's literary stamp of approval?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
streamline
Slight Overbomber

it should do - one of my all time faves. If not THE.

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

streamline wrote:it should do - one of my all time faves. If not THE.
nah, the talisman (with peter straub) is his best 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:didn't know that, thanks. i've read more bad king novels -that is to say, badly written- than good ones and only bother picking them up on recommendation. does the stand get the meercat's literary stamp of approval?
Meh.

:lol:

It's OK but tends to over-long (Doesn't all King's stuff? :roll:)

Frankly I don't really read King any more; I gave most of my copies of his books (among about five hundred others) to Oxfam last time we moved house. The Stand wasn't one that I kept if that's any help. ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
streamline wrote:it should do - one of my all time faves. If not THE.
nah, the talisman (with peter straub) is his best 8)
Yup, forgot about that one :oops:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was white and blinding and waterless and without feature save for the faint, cloudy haze of the mountains which sketched themselves on the horizon and the devil-grass which brought sweet dreams, nightmares, death. An occasional tombstone sign pointed the way, for once the drifted track that cut its way through the thick crust of alkali had been a highway. Coaches and buckas had followed it. The world had moved on since then. The world had emptied.

The above is from the Dark Tower - The Gunslinger.

Although the Last Magician Of Rational Thought is from Stand, It was actually The Dark Tower series that led to Palazzograssi naming their 3rd release after Randall Flagg.

Donald DeFreeze
andreww100
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Stephen King, The Stand (1978, p916)

“Mother Abagail calls him [Randall Flagg] the devil's pawn,” this strong, masculine voice said, originating somehow in the old woman's
wasted chest and emerging from her toothless mouth. “Maybe he's just the last magician of rational thought, gathering the tools of
technology against us. Maybe he's something more, something darker. I only know that he is. And I no longer think that sociology or
psychology or any other ology will put a stop to him. I think only white magic will do that.”

https://archive.org/details/thestand_st ... 5/mode/2up
czuczu
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 25 Feb 2009, 13:44
markfiend wrote:Randal Flagg in The Stand by Steven King is referred to as "the last magician of rational thought".
didn't know that, thanks. i've read more bad king novels -that is to say, badly written- than good ones and only bother picking them up on recommendation. does the stand get the meercat's literary stamp of approval?

The Stand has a famously bad ending that will make you want to pull your eyes out.
Everything prior to that is fairly enjoyable though
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

czuczu wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 12:22

The Stand has a famously bad ending that will make you want to pull your eyes out.
wow serious thread/quote necro! in the 13 years between i still havent read the book... :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
czuczu
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 16:03
czuczu wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 12:22

wow serious thread/quote necro! in the 13 years between i still havent read the book... :lol:
Anything post-93 will always be 'new' here ;D