There's A Door

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

THERE’S A DOOR

Anna moved. She’s got a carpet.

It isn’t on the floor.

You have the freedom to be living in a car

Not made here any more.

There’s a door.

And did you do the do the payments?

Did you love her less as such?

Because there’s carpet on her wall it don’t mean much?

There’s a door.
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks Mark, don't think anyone was brave enough to tackle that one from the recordings so far. Spared us the carambolage.
LyanvisAberrant

Dr. Moody wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 16:01 Thanks Mark, don't think anyone was brave enough to tackle that one from the recordings so far. Spared us the carambolage.
HA that made me laugh.
These are fantastic!
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Being645
Above the Chemist

MAndrews wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 14:42 THERE’S A DOOR

It isn’t on the floor.

Not made here any more.

There’s a door.

There’s a door.

Many, many thanks ... :D :notworthy: ... how in hell do you manage? ... :lol: :notworthy: ...
sultan2075
Overbomber

MAndrews wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 14:42 THERE’S A DOOR

It isn’t on the floor.

Not made here any more.

There’s a door.

There’s a door.
I find this to be quite brilliant, but also quite heartbreaking. I had a student last summer, taking an online course from me, who worked for Tesla. She asked for flexibility on deadlines at the start of the course because she lived in her car. She made a good living - or what would have been a good living at one time - but was completely priced out of the market for housing in California. The song could also describe stories I've heard from any number of rust-belt friends and acquaintances.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Dr. Moody

Totally agree, so much gritty reality in this one. In a few of the recent gigs he sings "It doesn't matter anymore" as the last line, either Anna has left for good or possibly doesn't survive? It's typical :von: open endedness I know, but that line really hit me while listening one day.
Also "There's a door there's a brand new door" did the police smash the door in or is it simply a new address, a home with a door (besides the door of opportunity type allusions), there's so much suggestive potential in many of the lines.
lilac
Road Kill

I love the words (and music!) of this too. It seems to go together with Show Me and Six Ways to Sunday and I feel like they kind of make sense of each other, like Show Me spells out the overall theme of dispossession and alienation and then TaD and SWTS are like individual stories/scenes in that world.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Couldn't agree more to any of the last three posts. It is a wonderful song, including the music. And the title: There's a Door.
Hell, how often is this sentence being told to people only to have them walk through a door which will make them follow nothing but the will of others or some imaginary "community" to which they'll never belong further than anyway. And as if that were a disaster... it''s not more than post and parcel of a doctrine based on allegedly the best for all at the cost for those who profit the least. And money and/or love are of course the major means of blackmail. Or something ... won't rant on further along since it only derails from the core of that mechanism. Counteract by using the mirror. Facing and holding it... if you've got the chance and the time at all...
lilac
Road Kill

lilac wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 19:50 like Show Me spells out the overall theme of dispossession and alienation
And Eyes of Caligula of course
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Good that Von has finally acknowledged Betty Boo influence on the Sisters sound
Goths have feelings too
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

MAndrews wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 14:42 And did you do the do the payments?
Mark: is this right, or is it supposed to be “And did you do the payments?”?

Cheers,
George
[repeat x40]
LyanvisAberrant

Dumb moment:
"There's a" is just the name Theresa but with extra steps... I wouldn't think it meant anything but didn't Theresa May cause some unrest a while back? Haha
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
PuppetTroops
Road Kill

> carpet on her wall < that Russian thing? >Anna moved< Sorokin maybe? she didn't do the payments ;)
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

He's doing his metaphor about lady parts again and no one has told him Benny Hill is dead.
Goths have feelings too
Moving forehead
Road Kill

AE about the song:
When I was writing that, I was picturing to myself an American who is so patriotic, he’d rather live in his car than talk to his immigrant neighbour about how she was making something of her life.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... er-version