"He's not been well"

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

A bit peculiar line of words on live section site.
"He's not been well. We think he's getting better. We're deeply sorry about the sudden burst of inconvenience and disappointment"

"he's not" and "we think" does sound a bit wierd if Eldritch (the man in charge of the rather sparse updates on official site) is talking about himself. For a second there i thought it was some kind of explanation to Dylans sudden departure, but i binned that idea rather quickly.

However all the (known) new dates are there now.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

It's Von, with his penchant for third person.
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm probably overthinking this but....
Given how much Andrew (rightly) guards his privacy, I see this as a rare admission of vulnerability, and an acknowledgement that he appreciates the concern, and support, shown by the majority of fans
I truly hope he is getting better :von:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
LyanvisAberrant

My heart is hoping he's doing ok. What a legend, speaking out and appologising. Humanizing.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
splintered thing

It's a little bit heartbreaking :cry:
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

It's a quote from "The life of Brian".
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 03:45 It's a quote from "The life of Brian".
"Von's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 03:45 It's a quote from "The life of Brian".
Would be legendary if true.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Esoterica
Road Kill

Perhaps it’s the royal “we”? I mean, after all, “von”… but I digress. If he is seriously ill, or even just a bit under the weather, I sincerely hope he feels much improved soon. It’s no fun being sick. :(
mh
Above the Chemist

"He's getting better" is also a running gag from Holy Grail.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Depprocksfarfar wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 17:23 A bit peculiar line of words on live section site.
"He's not been well. We think he's getting better. We're deeply sorry about the sudden burst of inconvenience and disappointment"
[...]
It's kind of them to say so. The first part of the tour was all a bit much and, IMHO, it was only a question of time for such mess to come up...
Looking at all the gigs with Kai then, :von: has visibly been returning to solid ground again with his vocals ever clearer and stronger and with a firm stage presence to say the least... :D :notworthy: ...

The last low in Lisbon has given rise to worries that Von does not always see to his health as good as he oughta ... :wink: ... but Porto and Bilbao were wonderful concerts again... ;D :notworthy: ... So here's really hope that things run on ever more smoothly now, with no further backslide, but hell, if he should not be well again one day or other, or even worse, then health should of course be the most important issue ...
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Well here we are again.
Troubling times. Hope all ill will recover.
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Starting to remind me of the last couple of years of Motorhead. :(
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Depprocksfarfar

Erudite wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 07:38 Starting to remind me of the last couple of years of Motorhead. :(
Hopefully it isn't THAT bad, but clearly one day off is not enough to recover. Obviously. But something tells me he will be back onstage tomorrow again.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

"We play concerts, sometimes."

ditching his carer before such a huge tour. You reap what you sow.
Goths have feelings too
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 07:38 Starting to remind me of the last couple of years of Motorhead. :(
The tour length certainly reminded me of Motorhead's gargantuan treks around Europe. It's worrying but I don't think we're at the end just yet, I doubt he'd have rearranged gigs for next year if he wasn't expecting to be well enough to play them.

We've got everything crossed for you Von :kiss: :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

So it's clearby now that it's Von who's fallen ill again? Well ok, then. The f**king throat infections that are circulating everywhere these days can catch you anytime, however careful you might be.... :urff: ... and unfortunately the effects just won't disappear within a day or two ... *sigh ...

All the best wishes and loads of healthful energies from here... :bat: :bat: :bat: ... Don't let that recurring mess bring you down ... :kiss: :notworthy: ...
Todashi

Being sick away from home is no fun.

It's probably also not helpful that he's not in the same place everytime he needs to see a doctor. So getting a picture of how he's deveoping over time would be harder.

I don't know Von, obviously, but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd pull a gig lightly. I also can't imagine he'd pull a gig when there are people in the building unless he absolutely had to. Doing it a few times in the same tour? Ouch.

He'd know doing that too often gets you a reputation with promoters etc. But in his defence, it's pretty unusual in the overall pattern of the Sisters touring. I can remember one gig where he couldn't finish and Chris C sang Vision Thing without him at the end.

But otherwise, he's not a flakey character, or at least not in this aspect of his business life. I'd guess he's very upset at the moment.
dumbcat
Road Kill

It could be my wishful thinking, but i've kinda had the impression over the years that he's learned to pace himself better and allow time and space to reset when he needs to? If it really is like that, I'm just wondering what changed that made him so careless with his health again...I don't remember it being this bad in recent years :(
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

dumbcat wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 15:45 I'm just wondering what changed that made him so careless with his health again...I don't remember it being this bad in recent years :(
:von: is clearly proud of the new songs and enjoys performing them.
Perhaps he's simply overreached himself in his enthusiasm to get them out there, particularly after the enforced layoff due to the pandemic?

On the plus side, assuming he's determined to soldier on, the remaining schedule for the tour is marginally less intense.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
H. Blackrose

Also remember: your immune system is weakened by stressful situations. Like, for example, having to fire a guitarist during the very first gig of a tour and then replace them, no matter how cool the replacement is.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 20:57 Also remember: your immune system is weakened by stressful situations. Like, for example, having to fire a guitarist during the very first gig of a tour and then replace them, no matter how cool the replacement is.
With all due respect, that seems like a bit of a stretch.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
GC
Slight Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 17:40
H. Blackrose wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 20:57 Also remember: your immune system is weakened by stressful situations. Like, for example, having to fire a guitarist during the very first gig of a tour and then replace them, no matter how cool the replacement is.
With all due respect, that seems like a bit of a stretch.
I dont. I can imagine he'd be stressed to f**k by that. Good call @ H. Blackrose
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Strained, because

- advanced age (in his profession)
- fired guitarist / lost friend abruptly
- tour / band jeopardized temporarily
- exposure to a virus while traveling(?)

Every cancellation adds to his plight, so it's complicated.
Esoterica
Road Kill

Losing a guitarist in just that way had to be tough. Fortunately, Ben and Kai work together, so it was easy to close the gap. In gigs since the time Dylan left, the band seems more relaxed and content.