Germany in January

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Imho it would be a great idea if Von would invite Andreas Bruhn to perform More, Ribbons, Vision Thing and Doctor Jeep/Detonation Boulevard at Wiesbaden, Berlin and Köln in January.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Being645
Above the Chemist

... :urff: ... honestly, I want to see them as they are now with Von and Ben and Kai and Chris and I'm utterly looking forward to this ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ...

If a 90s nostalgia reunion act is so bitterly needed, they might play some additional gig in Hamburg to commemorate their olden days ... :wink: ...

Also, I'd prefer Adam anytime to Andreas... :lol: ...
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 20:12 ... :urff: ... honestly, I want to see them as they are now with Von and Ben and Kai and Chris and I'm utterly looking forward to this ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ...

If a 90s nostalgia reunion act is so bitterly needed, they might play some additional gig in Hamburg to commemorate their olden days ... :wink: ...

Extra nostalgia gig? Ok, maybe the better plan. But sorry, I would prefer Andreas over Adam.
(Homer Simpson)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Cedarjet wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 20:52
Being645 wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 20:12 ... :urff: ... honestly, I want to see them as they are now with Von and Ben and Kai and Chris and I'm utterly looking forward to this ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ...

Extra nostalgia gig? Ok, maybe the better plan. But sorry, I would prefer Andreas over Adam.
No worries, Andreas was surely great as well. No bad blood against him.
Also an extra nostalgia gig with Adam would have to take place in Berlin, I guess... :wink: ...
Fallon
Road Kill

Well, with the obvious exception of Chris Catalyst (who in one sense never really ceased to be part of the Sisters), I don't really get the impression that Eldritch is that interested in prior lineups.

The guest spots he's made room for lately generally seem to have more to do with his personal history than they do with band membership. Teri Nunn, Duncan Kilburn.

Which rather makes sense, imo. I don't really think there's much to be gained from dragging someone back up on stage just for the sake of "hey look it's the person from the record", when one of the most compelling aspects of the Sisters is the way the songs are never frozen in time and thus generally don't resemble the records anyway.

That said Adam Pearson has largely vanished off the face of the earth so I'd probably welcome proof of life at least.
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Fallon wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 01:18 That said Adam Pearson has largely vanished off the face of the earth so I'd probably welcome proof of life at least.
Is this him?!?

"While music was my former profession, and I want to do more of this as a hobby in future, my main m*****n now is to get the world “konnekted”, whereby everyone will learn, train, and use KONNEKT - a universal psychosocial operating system which I have uncovered - as a lived part of daily culture."

ETA: if this *is* him, he's become a hardcore Islamophobe
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Fallon
Road Kill

Well, I looked at his profile pic in that weird "Konnekt" business and I thought, that doesn't look like our Adam. But I've had a look at this and I now have a feeling that yes indeed, our Adam is now an evil lunatic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Z0M6N ... Evolution
That's a shame. Wrote a hell of a riff. Maybe someone connected to the band will see this and opt to remove his songs from the setlist to avoid subsidising him with performance royalties, necessitating the premier of a few new tracks to make up the runtime.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Basically,, everybody has the right to have his own opinions, and everyone should respect that to a certain point. But if this IS really him on Twitter and in the YT video, this whole picture plopping up here is rather spooky.
(Homer Simpson)
H. Blackrose

Well, his Twitter ranting about Israel/Palestine is sadly not very far from what you see in the German mainstream - although it means he won't be working with Von, who wore a keffiyeh on stage, any time soon.

But let's face it, this "Konnekt" stuff is pure crankery. This Adam Pearson (assuming it is our guy) appears to believe that he's discovered the secret cheat code for human civilisation. He's not the first person to come up with an idea like that, and not the first person to get bitter and twisted that the globe won't recognize his genius. And I would say that anyone who has come up with a practice that he thinks should/must be adopted by "every being capable of symbolic thought" has no business criticising Islam or any other religion!

But given all that, *no* to cutting his songs out of the set. I am not prepared to lose "Summer" for anything - and the measly performance royalties Pearson gets will not be anything that will cause an effect on his behaviour. If bands had to stop playing songs written by previous members who'd "gone a bit wrong", then David Gilmour couldn't play any Pink Floyd songs again.
H. Blackrose

Further discussion in the Where Are They Now? forum. I should have checked that thread first, because there was a mention of him using the KONNEKT brand as long ago as 2011.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 23:33

Our initial discussion is getting quite eerie by now,,,

Also an extra nostalgia gig with Adam would have to take place in Berlin, I guess... :wink: ...
Our initial discussion is getting quite eerie by now…
(Homer Simpson)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Cedarjet wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 21:48
Being645 wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 23:33

Our initial discussion is getting quite eerie by now…
Indeed ... :lol: ... although I knew that Adam decided to follow his interest in say human development instead of staying with The Sisters. Didn't find time to watch that video, though, and check which direction it's apparently taken over the decades ... :wink: ... still, I love all the songs he's been involved writing and wouldn't want to miss them in the set only because he might have developed opinions I might not agree with over the years ... and who knows, even Von might have opinions, that I wouldn't follow for love nor money ... :lol: ...
H. Blackrose

How many in the current setlist did Pearson write the music for? Is "Crash and Burn" one of his?
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 00:13 How many in the current setlist did Pearson write the music for? Is "Crash and Burn" one of his?
Crash and Burn and Summer as far as I know.. but what do you suggest? „Let‘s pretend he never existed.“?
(Homer Simpson)
Fallon
Road Kill

H. Blackrose wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 00:13 How many in the current setlist did Pearson write the music for? Is "Crash and Burn" one of his?
Romeo Down came back in briefly last year too
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Crash & Burn and Summer are so good they should really be played twice at every gig. Maybe starting in Germany in January, just to try get thread back on whatever its original track was.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 13:29 Crash & Burn and Summer are so good they should really be played twice at every gig. Maybe starting in Germany in January, just to try get thread back on whatever its original track was.
Well, it started with me wishing a guest appearance by Andreas Bruhn at the rescheduled German concerts :lol:
(Homer Simpson)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Cedarjet wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 19:17
Planet Dave wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 13:29 Crash & Burn and Summer are so good they should really be played twice at every gig. Maybe starting in Germany in January, just to try get thread back on whatever its original track was.
Well, it started with me wishing a guest appearance by Andreas Bruhn at the rescheduled German concerts :lol:
:lol: oh yes! High quality can of worms opened inadvertently there, nice work! :lol: all I can say of any value regarding Germany in January is that if the shows are as good as the UK ones, you're all very likely to have a brilliant time. I've never seen so many comments along the lines of 'best show in decades' 8) with or without added special guest stars.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
H. Blackrose

Fallon wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 12:51
Romeo Down is an underrated classic, we can't lose that one either
Being645
Above the Chemist

H. Blackrose wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 21:40
Nor Top Nite Out ... :wink: ...
Fallon
Road Kill

H. Blackrose wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 21:40
I love the song too - its got such a weight and tension to it.

I tend not to weigh in on the lineup v lineup stuff, I think that the Sisters are a band that is largely about who they are now, and how they reconfigure the songs for now, so please take this as nothing more than personal taste but it's a song that works less for me when you separate it from Adam's bass playing style.

Eldritch seems to recognise that it's a song which requires the bassline to be played, and you won't catch me joining in on the "Ben sucks" crowd, but I do think he plays the Romeo Down bassline a little less percussive, a little less wind-up and release, or something. It's still a fabulous song but something of the mood is lost and it seems to come down to little more than the personality of the player.

Which is nice, really.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

The discussion about which songs "must stay" or not is one of the reasons why I will always mourn the lack of new recorded output. If these songs existed on a record, we would never "lose" them. They would be there to enjoy, think about and groove to until the end of time, regardless of which songs the band chose to include on the setlist.
Oh well.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.