Kai as a permanent member

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

H. Blackrose wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 01:28
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 22:39 Tony James is so shit! Go listen to Reading '91 & the cunt cant play Lucretia!
He sounds fine on Miami 1991. But I only want him back if he plays the Space baSSS.

Honestly can't believe the people in this thread who are *angry* that the Sisters are playing new material rather than nostalgia from 1985 and joke covers! You should meet the people who're angry for precisely the opposite reason from Facebook. Maybe in a steel cage with whips.
Its no secret that on Tour Thing USA James' bass was turned down half the time. But he played fine most times I saw him live to be fair. Even at Reading you couldnt tell on the day. i just dont like the bloke though for all sorts of little reasons. And Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

as for people getting angry at whats played live, be careful what you (they) wish for. One day Andrew won't ge here to play for us anymore & then where has all the whinging got them? Exactly.

EDIT: talking of facebook, i commented on a really nice B&W photo of Andrew that someone had posted saying "I love this". "Thats Von" came the reply..... No shit Sherlock. :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 07:01 Its no secret that on Tour Thing USA James' bass was turned down half the time.
No sh*t? The Doktor wasn't able to play the bass back then, so did the live keyboardist do it or did they just do without bass?
I just dont like the bloke though for all sorts of little reasons. And Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
The only real problem with SSS was that they became much more successful than they planned; if all that people knew of them was the original demos (that came out as The First Generation) they'd be applauded as synthpunk pioneers. To hear TJ talk, Degville was actually a nice person before the drugs and fame.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 01:09 I think the Sisters work best when they've one guitarist playing chugga-lugga-lugga and the other guitarist playing clean, melodic stuff. They didn't always have that (the clean, melodic stuff) with Chris and Dylan, but they do with Kai.
I thought they had a great balance with Dylan, comparing those shows with the Kai shows, despite great performances and good vocals from :von: , the Kai shows sound pretty hollow and unbalanced to my ears due to the lack of distorted guitars, the acoustic guitar/12 string/whatever melodic guitar sounding thin and noisy (or just inaudible); and an over reliance on synths (even though I like the new arrangements and embellishments).

Comparing e.g. the Roundhouse 2021 shows with the most recent shows its night and day, and not in a good way (except Von sounding better).
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

I just want to say that Ben Christo deserves a lot of credit for even having the 2nd show in London go on. He gets beat up a lot on here. But he was a professional by going out on that stage not knowing what would happen.

And as for Dylan, the unprofessionalism of doing what he did is reprehensible and disrespectful to the band. For those who claim to love the band one should not forget what he did.
This place is death with walls
Yggdrasil

Incoming! wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 18:56 I just want to say that Ben Christo deserves a lot of credit for even having the 2nd show in London go on. He gets beat up a lot on here. But he was a professional by going out on that stage not knowing what would happen.

And as for Dylan, the unprofessionalism of doing what he did is reprehensible and disrespectful to the band. For those who claim to love the band one should not forget what he did.
Not contesting any of the above. Just an observation on the much better guitar balance/impact with Dylan.
Gothicbiff

Incoming! wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 18:56 I just want to say that Ben Christo deserves a lot of credit for even having the 2nd show in London go on. He gets beat up a lot on here. But he was a professional by going out on that stage not knowing what would happen.

I have loved The Sisters since 1984 and consider Ben an integral band member. The 2nd Roundhouse show could not have happened without him. To me, Andrew was there in body but seemed lost and strangely vulnerable. Ben absolutely saved the show.
He is talented, professional, accessible, approachable and a thoroughly lovely guy. Andrew is truly fortunate to have Ben as his right hand man
And I'm hoping Kai is now his left hand man!
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
eastmidswhizzkid

Incoming! wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 18:56 I just want to say that Ben Christo deserves a lot of credit for even having the 2nd show in London go on. He gets beat up a lot on here.

Ben gets beat up a lot here ?? on HL?? when does he?? For what?? & by whom?? Utter bollocks !!!! I (We/Us/They -but definitely I) wouldnt stand for it! Similarly there is a good chance I (we/Us/Them but definitely I) wont stand for this unsubstantiated guff either..
Incoming! wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 18:56
What did he do?? & how was it disrespectful to the band? who are you to say it (whatever IT was) was a reprehensible act? i mean -maybe the statute boook punishment for IT (whatever the f**k IT was) was exactly the way in which Dylan was punished for IT (whatever the buggery f**k bollocks IT was) i.e. being sacked from The Sisters? if Eldritch is Judge Jury & Lord High Executioner Elect of The Sisters Of Mercy (& he definitely is) then who the f**k do you think YOU are to say Eldritch' is WRONG? I think you are massively out of your depth vomiting out ill-informed unsubstantiated arse juice like this ... HOWEVER the Road To Redemption is paved with endeavour: so WHAT exactly are YOU saying Dylan did? (*Apart from p*ss off Andrew to the point of no return? Like EVERYBODY Andrew ever works with does , sooner or later! Or vice versa. Or both Thats a fact and it doesnt matter whether the fault for said schism is the band member or Eldritch's -the effect is much the same)
Last edited by eastmidswhizzkid on 03 Dec 2023, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 02:36
Incoming! wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 18:56 I just want to say that Ben Christo deserves a lot of credit for even having the 2nd show in London go on. He gets beat up a lot on here.

Ben gets beat up a lot here ?? on HL?? when does he?? For what?? & by whom?? Utter bollocks !!!! I (We/Us/They -but definitely I) wouldnt stand for it! Similarly there is a good chance I (we/Us/Them but definitely I) wont stand for this unsubstantiated guff either..
What did he do?? & how was it disrespectful to the band? who are you to say it (whatever IT was) was a reprehensible act? i mean -maybe the statute boook punishment for IT (whatever the f**k IT was) was exactly the way in which Dylan was punished for IT (whatever the buggery f**k bollocks IT was) i.e. being sacked from The Sisters? if Eldritch is Judge Jury & Lord High Executioner Elect of The Sisters Of Mercy (& he definitely is) then who the f**k do you think YOU are to say Eldritch' is WRONG? I think you are massively out of your depth vomiting out ill-informed unsubstantiated arse juice like this ... HOWEVER the Road To Redemption is paved with endeavour: so WHAT exactly are YOU saying Dylan did? (*Apart from p*ss off Andrew to the point of no return? Like EVERYBODY Andrew ever works with does , sooner or later! Or vice versa. Or both Thats a fact and it doesnt matter whether the fault for said schism is the band member or Eldritch's -the effect is much the same)
I was on Dylan's side of the venue at the Roundhouse and watching his antics genuinely made me feel uncomfortable, and I have only ever felt like that once before ( Nuclear Assault's singer/guitarist being so drunk he couldn't stand) and I've been going to gigs for 40 years.
His constant gesticulating at the sound desk, waving his arms at his guitar and sometimes just pretending to strum it etc. Honestly it was worse than I had made it seem. I was a fan of his until that point, he seemed to have re-invigorated the Sisters, but there was no justification for his actions IMO. We all have bad days at work, but we get over it and do our best.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
eastmidswhizzkid

ribbons69 wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 03:21

I was on Dylan's side of the venue at the Roundhouse and watching his antics genuinely made me feel uncomfortable, and I have only ever felt like that once before ( Nuclear Assault's singer/guitarist being so drunk he couldn't stand) and I've been going to gigs for 40 years.
His constant gesticulating at the sound desk, waving his arms at his guitar and sometimes just pretending to strum it etc. Honestly it was worse than I had made it seem. I was a fan of his until that point, he seemed to have re-invigorated the Sisters, but there was no justification for his actions IMO. We all have bad days at work, but we get over it and do our best.
Look at it from a different angle for a second. From the very start the overall sound was awful. the stage PA was out of synch with the acoustics in the venue so there was a weird disparity between the echo and the sound being projected forwards from the stage towards the back. it was so bad to start with that i couldnt even recognise the first song despite knowing what it was that was being played. To make matters worse the stage monitors werent working properly/setup properly so the band was having to use the weird venue acoustics to hear each other. ive played in countless bands and there's nothing guaranteed to make the band play wildly out of time than the monitors not working. This was affecting both Ben & Dylan, and Eldritch was skipping around from side to side of the stage trying to find a sweet spot where the sound was least f**ked.
After 3 or 4 songs the overall sound was pretty much sorted, but although Ben & Andrew seemed to be ok Dylans monitor was stil not working correctly and he couldnt hear either himself or the band or both properly so he was getting wound up because it was making him lok s**t. Add to this the fact that his onstage stack was feeding back horribly (most likely because he was cranking it up to give himself a chance of hearing his own playing).
By the end of the gig he had simply had enough. NOW... ive seen Marx smash jis guitar up at bad sound. ive seen the m*****n suffer so badly from poor sound that Wayne has offered everyone a refund then performed gig of solely audience requsts. Ive seen Lemmy lose his temper at Rock City over faulty monitors in sincerely the ONLY Motorhead gig out of 25-30 where they werre out of time. ive seen the Sisters suffer from bad sound more times than ive had baths & both Craig Adams & A ndrew throw tantrums over malfuncting machinery. Dylan decided he may as well give up but considering the immense frustration he must have felt i thought he dealt with it in quite ggod humour.

eastmidswhizzkid

And if someone could be so kind as to point me in the direction of these Ben-bashings i would appreciate it. Because NOBODY here has ever said a bad word about him that ive read ta..

H. Blackrose

On Facebook, re: the recent tour, our old friend Si Denbigh said "Von does not cancel gigs on a whim". Very true. And despite rumours in the popular press, he doesn't fire guitarists on a whim either.

If Dylan's acting out in reaction to tech issues/horrible sound was within the bounds of what you'd expect, then Von fired him for some other reason. Something we don't know about.
eastmidswhizzkid

H. Blackrose wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 08:55 On Facebook, re: the recent tour, our old friend Si Denbigh said "Von does not cancel gigs on a whim". Very true. And despite rumours in the popular press, he doesn't fire guitarists on a whim either.

If Dylan's acting out in reaction to tech issues/horrible sound was within the bounds of what you'd expect, then Von fired him for some other reason. Something we don't know about.
gary marx
ben gunn
wayne hussey
craig adams
patricia morrison
Andreas bruhn
tim bricheno
tony james

what do these fine folks have in common other than they were all in the band? they all got to a point in their relationships with Eldritch where either a) they were no longer compatible with the project or b) they could no longer live with or work with Andrew. or c) both.

Si Denbigh is right aboiut Andrew not cancelling gigs lightly . but the cancelled gigs were nothing to do with Dylan. and we dont take anything the music press says seriously do we? especially not about the Sisters. So whats your point? Clearly he was fired for a reason we dont know. a reason which is none of our business. That Andrew has dealt with it should be enough for all of you.

Todashi

I have no special insight into why Dylan was let go. But let's do some reasonable guessing. On the night in question, I have only seen bad video recorded from the back of the room that show him acting up a bit in response to his monitors not working. It looked pretty mild to me. Like, what is a guitarist supposed to do if they're on stage in front of a relatively big audience and their gear isn't working? I know I'd be pretty stressed by that. (Also, has anybody seen any front row video of this? - I haven't seen anything clear at all and ususally there are multiple angles of all parts of a Sisters gig.)

From the video I've seen, Dylan appears to lose his s**t on stage and gets invited to take his frustration off stage as he's making a scene. He's not booted off stage, or anything like it - Von wanders over, puts his hand on his shoulder and says something to him, and he leaves the stage. Von has to worry about the viability of his band and its ability to put up on a show, so I don't judge him for this, and Dylan as a performer was probably having an absolute nightmare of a gig, so I don't blame him either.

So I don't think that incident can be solely responsible for him being let go. I think there has to have been other stuff going on. Either beforehand or possibly after the gig/next day when the post mortem happened. I don't know what that is, and it's really none of my business. The onstage stuff sort of is fair game for comment though, because it happened literally on-stage, in front of an audience.

I think Von is very lucky to have Ben at his side. And that extends to Ben being able to look up his contacts book and source a replacement guitarist at relatively short notice in Kai. But let's be clear, Dylan has been the single best thing to happen to the Sisters of Mercy in 20 years.

He brought something the spurred on a bout of creativity that was most unlikely, and in his departure, he created drama that resulted in the band finishing a tour better than it has in decades. Seriously - we had a string of shows that were regularly described as being excellent. A string.

This is the Sisters of Mercy we're talking about. Take your fan-glasses off and take a step back. Was this causation or correlation? Did he spark this, or was he just there when it happened, and it would have happened anyway? Only three or four people know that for sure.

If the band keeps going with this kind of momentum once the 'peril' of an endangered tour receeds, it'll also be remarkable.

All of that said, Kai has been amazing in stepping into a s**t show of a situation and getting it over the finish line. Major credit and he deserves kudos for that. But until he's involved in writing the first serious batch of new songs in nearly 25 years for the band, yeah he's not in the ball park with Dylan.
eastmidswhizzkid

Todashi wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 10:19 I have no special insight into why Dylan was let go. But let's do some reasonable guessing. On the night in question, I have only seen bad video recorded from the back of the room that show him acting up a bit in response to his monitors not working. It looked pretty mild to me. Like, what is a guitarist supposed to do if they're on stage in front of a relatively big audience and their gear isn't working? I know I'd be pretty stressed by that. (Also, has anybody seen any front row video of this? - I haven't seen anything clear at all and ususally there are multiple angles of all parts of a Sisters gig.)

From the video I've seen, Dylan appears to lose his s**t on stage and gets invited to take his frustration off stage as he's making a scene. He's not booted off stage, or anything like it - Von wanders over, puts his hand on his shoulder and says something to him, and he leaves the stage. Von has to worry about the viability of his band and its ability to put up on a show, so I don't judge him for this, and Dylan as a performer was probably having an absolute nightmare of a gig, so I don't blame him either.

So I don't think that incident can be solely responsible for him being let go. I think there has to have been other stuff going on. Either beforehand or possibly after the gig/next day when the post mortem happened. I don't know what that is, and it's really none of my business. The onstage stuff sort of is fair game for comment though, because it happened literally on-stage, in front of an audience.

I think Von is very lucky to have Ben at his side. And that extends to Ben being able to look up his contacts book and source a replacement guitarist at relatively short notice in Kai. But let's be clear, Dylan has been the single best thing to happen to the Sisters of Mercy in 20 years.

He brought something the spurred on a bout of creativity that was most unlikely, and in his departure, he created drama that resulted in the band finishing a tour better than it has in decades. Seriously - we had a string of shows that were regularly described as being excellent. A string.

This is the Sisters of Mercy we're talking about. Take your fan-glasses off and take a step back. Was this causation or correlation? Did he spark this, or was he just there when it happened, and it would have happened anyway? Only three or four people know that for sure.

If the band keeps going with this kind of momentum once the 'peril' of an endangered tour receeds, it'll also be remarkable.

All of that said, Kai has been amazing in stepping into a s**t show of a situation and getting it over the finish line. Major credit and he deserves kudos for that. But until he's involved in writing the first serious batch of new songs in nearly 25 years for the band, yeah he's not in the ball park with Dylan.
Exacty. A storm in a tea-cup.
There was a time when this forum was "trolled" by fans of "other" bands who would make inflammatory non-factual statements about non-legacy members of the band in an attempt to.... i'm not sure really as it was a bit like dealing with a 3 year old who has learned to say "f**k off" knowing its is offensive but has yet to use the phrase properly in context. You expected people to have nothing better to do with themselves when the World Information Service closed but i am a tad puzzled at why anyone here at the Home of Sisters Fanatics Elitism would want to use Heartland like the amoebas pond is used.
GO FIGURE....

Icon

I suggest we all take a breath and try to keep calm here. We may all have different opinions, but going at each other like that here is not a way to communicate among Heartlanders I think. We all love the Sisters. That’s why we are here. :wink:
eastmidswhizzkid

Aw mate thats sweet but i am calm lol if i wasnt i wouldnt be even bothering. its cool though- i have a lot of fun things to do today & i am doing them with The Sisters on at an extreme volume. Without melting. :wink:

lilac
Road Kill

I'll miss Dylan a lot too but about Kai, I haven't seen a member with his beaming energy before and it was cool to watch the videos and hear him play everything better each night after stepping in on so short notice and he makes This Corrosion especially just go off and really the climax of shows
also idk who decided it but I love that fast guitar strummy thingy he's brought back to Marian, and the part before the chorus of This Corrosion and his backing singing, I guess it's like less heavy than with Dylan but the whole sound just works with Kai in his own way to me

I'm so curious to see what the future of the sisters would be like if he stays
but also I wish we could just have all these dudes in the band together
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

Whoa! Whoa. Whoa. Jesus H. Calm yourself. The IT was Dylan playing air guitar on stage. To me that was an offense to the band. You apparently don't agree. Fine.
I'm used to being allowed an opinion on forums. You don't seem to agree with that. If I made you happy by being the focus to go off on somebody, I'm glad I did. :) Have a great week.
This place is death with walls
Yggdrasil

Todashi wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 10:19 I have no special insight into why Dylan was let go. But let's do some reasonable guessing. (…)

But let's be clear, Dylan has been the single best thing to happen to the Sisters of Mercy in 20 years.

This is the Sisters of Mercy we're talking about. Take your fan-glasses off and take a step back. Was this causation or correlation? Did he spark this, or was he just there when it happened, and it would have happened anyway? Only three or four people know that for sure. (…)

Hear hear!
Esoterica
Road Kill

With that list of former members, it’s clear who owns the band, lock, stock and barrel. It’s sad to see what happened to Dylan; but in a way, Dylan had to know what he was getting into from the start. Most of these young men would do anything to get decent rock ‘n roll cred to advance their careers. Always be sure to survey the surrounding landscape before getting your shoes dirty. Ben really helped out by getting Kai into place before there was any “damage done.” :wink:
barbaralesz
Road Kill

And Kai updated his to "Guitar in The Sisters of Mercy (2023–present)". No idea when, unfortunately.

markreed wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 21:59 Dylan updated his Insta bio to read "Writer/guitarist The Sisters of Mercy 2019-2023."

So that happened. Looks like he's permanently out.
It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.
violet hour
Road Kill

Esoterica wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 11:07 With that list of former members, it’s clear who owns the band, lock, stock and barrel. It’s sad to see what happened to Dylan; but in a way, Dylan had to know what he was getting into from the start. Most of these young men would do anything to get decent rock ‘n roll cred to advance their careers. Always be sure to survey the surrounding landscape before getting your shoes dirty. Ben really helped out by getting Kai into place before there was any “damage done.” :wink:
He's 44 and has been making music since the '90s, nothing 'major' but also, not that young or green. I don't know what happened, but I do know (all I know for sure :lol: ) he knew Von's rep, temperament and what that entails when he started out with them.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

violet hour wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 16:18
Esoterica wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 11:07 With that list of former members, it’s clear who owns the band, lock, stock and barrel. It’s sad to see what happened to Dylan; but in a way, Dylan had to know what he was getting into from the start. Most of these young men would do anything to get decent rock ‘n roll cred to advance their careers. Always be sure to survey the surrounding landscape before getting your shoes dirty. Ben really helped out by getting Kai into place before there was any “damage done.” :wink:
He's 44 and has been making music since the '90s, nothing 'major' but also, not that young or green. I don't know what happened, but I do know (all I know for sure :lol: ) he knew Von's rep, temperament and what that entails when he started out with them.
When he joined the band he was replacing someone that had been there for 14 years, the guitarist he would be playing with had already been in the band for 13 year's at that point. Von's reputation for " hiring and firing" is a little exaggerated.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Being645
Above the Chemist

ribbons69 wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 16:45
violet hour wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 16:18
When he joined the band he was replacing someone that had been there for 14 years, the guitarist he would be playing with had already been in the band for 13 year's at that point. Von's reputation for " hiring and firing" is a little exaggerated.
Definitely, and I also got the impression they were not that much decided about "firing" Dylan, but were still open, if not hoping, for his return at least during the Netherlands gigs ... insofar, who knows, maybe we see him back some time ... :wink: ...
H. Blackrose

Dylan was in the band longer than That Guitarist, lol