2023-11-23. Barrowland Ballroom, Glasgow UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
mh
Above the Chemist

That was a suitable conclusion to the tour.

From where I was stood the sound seemed a tad quieter than recent nights, but on cross-checking with others it seems to have been a local phenomenon. When Dominion kicked off in the main set it was evident there was gonna be no Duncan Kilburn, and it was probably a bit much to expect him to come up here & play sax for 5 minutes. No extended portion on Lucretia either, I'd hoped they might have played that even without Duncan.

The only let down was the lack of after-show watering holes; every pub in the area had shut early and you'd almost think they didn't want a bunch of rowdy Sisters fans in! We're nice people, really!
lilac
Road Kill

there's a video of this corrosion, sounds really good
ruffers
Overbomber

They are really good now, really really good and that was a really good show with a happy sing along crowd.

What's not to like?
Chucking another log on
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just home, courtesy of my Uber taxi.
Feeling very emotional really
Incredibly happy to have witnessed another fantastic show, and another night feeling brave enough to be on the barrier stage left
But also incredibly sad it's all over for this year
Can't quite believe I've done 6 shows this tour
Thank you Ruffers
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Being645
Wiki Wizard

So for you all to enjoy a little longer ... collected that stuff from YT with of course endless thanks to all the uploaders ...

Here

Marian

Lucretia, My Reflection

Wonderful videos of a wonderful performance ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ;D ;D ;D ...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Thoroughly enjoyed that. A fitting end to a tour which, as we know, has not been without its problems. Cliche or not, it's true adversity brings out the best in some.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
hellboy69

Cheers for the updates as ever HLanders, band & crowd sounding ace there. Now keeping everything cross’d for leftover Neon tees in the webstore… 8)
Big Si
School Bully

mh wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 00:27The only let down was the lack of after-show watering holes; every pub in the area had shut early and you'd almost think they didn't want a bunch of rowdy Sisters fans in! We're nice people, really!
I had to head straight back to mine (I only live round the Corner from the Barras) as HalfmanII had dropped his Bag off and had to get the 11pm Bus Home to the Southside (8am start at work). I got back to the Gallowgate, and bumped into AndrooS, his friend Julie and Erudite who said you and abridged had gone back to yer Hotels :( I took 'em over to Saint Luke's (less than 5 mins walk from the Barras) and we were in there 'til midnight. Unfortunately they plugged in a Guy with an Acoustic Guitar very, very loudly in the Bar for the last 30 mins before they shut, and it was almost impossible to hear each other talk :urff:

Having not seen the Band here since they last played (at the ABC (RIP)) in 2015 (or was it 2016?), I thought they played very well. Was nice to see :von: moving around the stage much more (instead of being glued to a Mic Stand) although the sound in the Crowd in front of :von: could have been louder, as Kai's Guitar was very low in the Mix (I could only hear Ben). The New (Dylan) Tunes mixed in well with the Auld Hits and Classics. I was very disappointed by Dominion/Mother Russia (the Song that's responsible for my last 35 years) as all the 'oomph' of the Synth playing during the Chorus was gone, it fell flat to my ears and wasn't the stand out Song I always look forward to them performing. Anyway, was great to catch up with Auld Friends, but the Night went far too quickly....
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
mh
Above the Chemist

Big Si wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 15:27
mh wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 00:27The only let down was the lack of after-show watering holes; every pub in the area had shut early and you'd almost think they didn't want a bunch of rowdy Sisters fans in! We're nice people, really!
I had to head straight back to mine (I only live round the Corner from the Barras) as HalfmanII had dropped his Bag off and had to get the 11pm Bus Home to the Southside (8am start at work). I got back to the Gallowgate, and bumped into AndrooS, his friend Julie and Erudite who said you and abridged had gone back to yer Hotels :( I took 'em over to Saint Luke's (less than 5 mins walk from the Barras) and we were in there 'til midnight. Unfortunately they plugged in a Guy with an Acoustic Guitar very, very loudly in the Bar for the last 30 mins before they shut, and it was almost impossible to hear each other talk :urff:

Having not seen the Band here since they last played (at the ABC (RIP)) in 2015 (or was it 2016?), I thought they played very well. Was nice to see :von: moving around the stage much more (instead of being glued to a Mic Stand) although the sound in the Crowd in front of :von: could have been louder, as Kai's Guitar was very low in the Mix (I could only hear Ben). The New (Dylan) Tunes mixed in well with the Auld Hits and Classics. I was very disappointed by Dominion/Mother Russia (the Song that's responsible for my last 35 years) as all the 'oomph' of the Synth playing during the Chorus was gone, it fell flat to my ears and wasn't the stand out Song I always look forward to them performing. Anyway, was great to catch up with Auld Friends, but the Night went far too quickly....
I forgot St Lukes but the prospect of a guy with a guitar might have been a bit much!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 03:22
Incoming! wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 20:52 Hi!

European Tour Shirts were not available in London. :cry: Any good soul willing to pick up one for me at upcoming shows? Of course I will pay for shirt and shipping.

I'd appreciate it. :D

You might want to post this in the Glasgow thread in the 2023 section, that's the last gig this year before the handful of rescheduled ones next January.
Failing that, hopefully any surplus stock will be on the website soon.
Thank you! Missed that chance. Better idea than mine. Had to work late and forgot about it. I'll take a 5X on the surplus stock if I have too. :lol:

Next time they tour....I estimate 2 years as is normalish. I'll just do a tour of British cities and get a taste of the audience in each one. :D

God save the King though. One confused female roaming around Britain using mass transit. :lol: Where I live there is no mass transit. We all just drive big cars. :wink:
This place is death with walls

Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears
Big Si
School Bully

mh wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 00:27I forgot St Lukes but the prospect of a guy with a guitar might have been a bit much!
Auld maudlin Pop Songs like The Cranberries 'Linger' and Natalie Imbruglia's 'Torn' sung Ed Sheeran style in a Scottish Accent at Full Volume :urff: He offered to take requests at the end of his Set, and some Goths at the next Table asked for 'Friday i'm in Love' by The Cure but he said he only knew 'Close to Me' :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Dominion / Mother Russia without saxophone, but still a nice version ... :D :D :D ... many thanks to bodydave ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
It's cool how the colour of the lights turns to red with Mother Russia ... didn't notice that before ... :) ...

ruffers
Overbomber

I also noticed tonight how Ben's backing vocals on things like Ribbons aren't just the obvious repeats but kind of counter points from time to time.

Along with various keyboard bits especially on new tunes things continue to evolve. Go back not too long and imagine....

New arrangements?
New keyboard lines?
Extra chorus?
Sax?

I for one am hugely impressed and pleased about Von's willingness to experiment or progress like this. I'd kind of assumed we were happy where we were.

Here's to the future.
Chucking another log on
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

ruffers wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 23:09 I also noticed tonight how Ben's backing vocals on things like Ribbons aren't just the obvious repeats but kind of counter points from time to time.

Along with various keyboard bits especially on new tunes things continue to evolve. Go back not too long and imagine....

New arrangements?
New keyboard lines?
Extra chorus?
Sax?

I for one am hugely impressed and pleased about Von's willingness to experiment or progress like this. I'd kind of assumed we were happy where we were.

Here's to the future.
I guess that's why Ben gets paid the big bucks as artistic director. I doubt AE gives one s**t as long as it gets the punters in
Goths have feelings too
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 23:09 (...) especially on new tunes things continue to evolve.

Here's to the future.

Hear hear

My feeling exactly.

And the maddening thought that he has to have all of these great new (and older new) songs (and concert intros) recorded and readily available to him in e.g. Logic to be able to fiddle with them...
Gothicbiff

I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Thanks for the reviews links, Gothicbiff ... :D ...