Netsky virus

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Bouncing around all over my workplace. Anyone else?
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

No.
Thea
Overbomber

dunno - but summat's had my 'puter screwed up all day :\ anyone recomend a good Free* virus killer

*really free. not 1-week trials
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Lucky you. Not got your side of the pond yet then. I'd assumed that was the source. At the risk of putting you to sleep, my company is currently evaluating its e-commerce platform and is veering towards Java/ Oracle rather than .Net/ SQL server due to the number of high-profile MicroSoft attacks. Even our MD thinks MS are a bad risk. Personally I reckon there are two rooms in every anti-virus software house. On for the poachers and another for the gamekeepers. It would be nice to work in a less scurrilous industry which pays the same. Ho hum.
Dan
Overbomber

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Use the free online virus scan here.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote:dunno - but summat's had my 'puter screwed up all day :\ anyone recomend a good Free* virus killer

*really free. not 1-week trials
If you're the same Doomy that I have on my Soulseek user list then yeah, you do have problems!

(All the following are Free full versions)

1. Go to www.grisoft.com and get the AVG Free Edition. Do a full system scan. This should pick up whatever nasties you have on your system, but it may not be able to clean them. If it can't then...

2. Make a note of the name of the viruses/trojans you have then go to here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... .list.html and get a removal tool.

3. Once that has been done and you're happy your computer is free of nasties, get and install the following programs (if you don't already have them):

Adaware 6 Standard Ed - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Spyware Blaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

and last but not least -

Zone Alarm Firewall - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1 ... 38_001.exe

This should keep you protected from most nasties. All you have to do is keep them all updated and virus scan everything you download off the net!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

As usual C3 you are a wealth of information, in language an idiot like my self can understand.

As for you Harry...for god's sake..speak to me in English.,..not Tekkie talk.

Sorry that's far over my head....and utterly Greek to me.

oh and nite nite...I'm off.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Black Planet wrote:As for you Harry...for god's sake..speak to me in English.,..not Tekkie talk.
I'm practicing for my next interview. If I've got you baffled, then I reckon I'm halfway there. :wink:
hallucienate
Overbomber

Thrash Harry wrote:
Black Planet wrote:As for you Harry...for god's sake..speak to me in English.,..not Tekkie talk.
I'm practicing for my next interview. If I've got you baffled, then I reckon I'm halfway there. :wink:
Not going for anything to technical then?

We installed www.clamav.net on our mail servers recently. It seems to do the job excellently. :notworthy:
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

hallucienate wrote:
Thrash Harry wrote:
Not going for anything to technical then?
More like never been interviewed by anyone too technical.
hallucienate wrote:We installed www.clamav.net on our mail servers recently. It seems to do the job excellently. :notworthy:
Our ISP is catching and reporting them, just surprised we're being spoofed/ attacked so much. Never been touched by any of the more high profile ones.
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeh, we're being spoofed as well, it's good fun.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm getting this one about ten times a day, spoofed from PayPal:
Dear PayPal member,

We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to reactivate it by providing us with your personal information.

To update your personal profile and continue using PayPal services you have to run the attached application to this email. Just run it and follow the instructions.

IMPORTANT! If you ignore this alert, your account will be suspended in next five business days and you will not be able to use PayPal anymore.

Thank you for using PayPal.

aiqaawea
It has an attachment called www.paypal.com.pif which is obviously a virus. I know (think) it's not Netsky, but it's very annoying.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I'm getting this one about ten times a day, spoofed from PayPal:
Dear PayPal member,

We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to reactivate it by providing us with your personal information.

To update your personal profile and continue using PayPal services you have to run the attached application to this email. Just run it and follow the instructions.

IMPORTANT! If you ignore this alert, your account will be suspended in next five business days and you will not be able to use PayPal anymore.

Thank you for using PayPal.

aiqaawea
It has an attachment called www.paypal.com.pif which is obviously a virus. I know (think) it's not Netsky, but it's very annoying.
The contents of the file can be found on this page:

http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identityt ... -11159.htm

The site that virus sends info back to has now been closed down anyway, so at least that's something!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
James Blast
Banned

Our IT section have been evaluating a G4 Mac running Panther to sort out e-mail and security problems. We got their report the other day and, baring in mind the Council has about 5,000 PCs to only a hundred or so Macs, the bottom line was a killer: "Mac OS X 10.3.1 (Panther) is not only the most stable OS on the Council's network, but also the most secure".
And that was from a bunch that used to say it wasn't Council policy to buy anything but peecees.:P
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Run a Win 2000 Advanced Server on an ADSL line. You want to see my event viewer. Ha!

8)
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ive got a friend of mine sending me virus's... the sad thing is i know he's doing it on purpose :X

never accept em though..im not that stupid.. though it wouldnt account for the record of 1023 virus's ive had on my comp at one stage :eek:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I still can't see how anyone can get a virus on their computer. It's easy enough to stop them. This is mainly advice for home users:

1. Don't open any email you don't know the source of.
2. Check your virus scanner is set to check all incoming (and outgoing) mail. This is for those who use Outlook and Outlook Express.
3. Get ALL the Critical Updates from the Windows Update site.
4. Use the other programs I have listed above.
5. Make sure that you have Heuristic Scanning on (this will check for any virus/trojan-like properties in the files)

Easy huh?
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

CellThree wrote:Easy huh?
Yes. Until you discover all that interferes with your favourite piece of software/ game/ website. Then it all goes out the window.
James Blast
Banned

ryan_w_0000 wrote:ive got a friend of mine sending me virus's...
not what I'd call a friend ryan :eek:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Gary

I recently (6 months ago) reinstalled XP, and never bothered installing anti virus software.. due to pure laziness, and im normally pretty carefull anyway, however recently (3rd of may) i was infected with the Sasser worm/virus nasty little thing it was to!, fortunatly i noticed the odd aserve thing running in my machines processes and stopped it, which allowed me to access the net to find out more about the virus. Now have anti virus software installed again ;) and all critical updates..
Dan
Overbomber

A few weeks ago I got a new (larger) hard drive and reinstalled everything and did all the windows updates. Now I have the latest Outlook Express I see it has a feature my previous version didn't have. tools-options-read-"read all messages in plain text". This prevents an email loading a virus from embedded html/java or launching a browser window.

You can also do tools-options-security-"Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potrntially be a virus" and block all attachments.
ryan

Red Sunsets wrote:
ryan_w_0000 wrote:ive got a friend of mine sending me virus's...
not what I'd call a friend ryan :eek:
with friends like these.... :roll:
Dave R

you could use this if you are a Wintel User.....

http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/mydoom.asp

And if anyone can help me with an OSX prblem drop me an emai and i will give you details.....sorry to use HLand as a computer resource but it IS better than Sourceforge.....
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've had an influx of them over the past few days.
Thank heavens to Norton.
I never can work out where they come from :eek:
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
Dan
Overbomber

I have attachments and html in emails switched off. It makes deleting viruses a breeze.