2023 set list: your hopes and fears?

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Purple Light wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 18:08 I’d love a thumping bass and Dr heavy Romeo Down. Like from 2000 ish. Not keen on the stripped down version now.
Hearhear, that would be amazing. Looking forward to all of it though, exited to see the new ones live.
She's a monster would be a treat, but any of the new stuff. Wanna sing along to on the beach, we need to get a chorus going the same way as in this corrosion. Haha
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
vince
Road Kill

Hope they build up and walk on to Led Zeps Kashmir, thus immediately transporting my middle aged self back to Portsmouth Guildhall, March 85 and the anticipation that I felt as the dry ice engulfed the stage.

I'd love Top Nite Out, followed by Suzanne, but hey ho, inside I'll still be that teenager - I think that's why I still go!
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

While the rest of you were discussing this issue properly, I was worried that I couldn’t count. :lol: “Cause I was like there are only two people on stage. Do I need knew glasses?” I still liked the show considering they were two men down.

Ben deserves a raise.
This place is death with walls
FireInReptileHouse

Incoming! wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 23:32 While the rest of you were discussing this issue properly, I was worried that I couldn’t count. :lol: “Cause I was like there are only two people on stage. Do I need knew glasses?” I still liked the show considering they were two men down.

Ben deserves a raise.
Second Ben getting a raise. Poor guy saved the majority of that show
we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us
Fallon
Road Kill

*Turns to camera while gesturing at the Roundhouse gigs*

Well, I don't think anyone had that on their bingo card!

[canned laughter]
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Fears - if it stays as it is… Crash & Burn is finished.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Husek

Purple Light wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 21:32 Fears - if it stays as it is… Crash & Burn is finished.
Hot take, it was already finished when Chris left.

The Dylan/Ben version lacks the call/response backing vocals on chorus, which kinda kills the song for me anyway
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Eighthcircle
Road Kill

If we're going to have only one guitarist for the foreseeable, I'd like to see Flood I back in the mix. If Von isn't up to it Ben can easily do the howly parts
DJW
Road Kill

Romeo Down and Neverland would work well with one guitarist. As would a full length Afterhours but no chance of that!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Or Rain From Heaven, but it might be asking for a bit too much from them to unpack that in the short run ... :wink: ...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I really want them to bring back Black Sail - it would be ideally suited to Kai.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 16:26 I really want them to bring back Black Sail - it would be ideally suited to Kai.
Y€S!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 16:53

I see what you did there, Dave. :wink:
coelocanth
Road Kill

This is a difficult opinion to put into words, particularly written words, as Dylan seems like a lovely bloke, has apparently contributed to some great new songs and I entirely wish him well.

But when I saw them in Aus last year, it didn't entirely feel like I was watching the Sisters - the laddish rawk posturing is a time honoured stagecraft technique, but I kind of see the Sisters as somehow more... poised than that.

Kai seems so much more Sisters in my entirely humble opinion, and I wish they had been on the tour in Aus.
DJW
Road Kill

I’m not a massive fan of Doctor Jeep and have never understood why it gets such heavy rotation live, but it does seem to have some merit as a show opener given many attendees don’t spend their spare time researching the new material via YouTube.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Current setlist hopes andfears, for the forthcoming UK shows and all before and after, remains .... we hope he is okay to perform and the show goes ahead. That's all I hope for, they can play what the heck they like.

On that subject, an interesting update to the official live news page, as well as all January dates now added.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Rantz Hoseley
Road Kill

Planet Dave wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 16:53
Erudite wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 16:26 I really want them to bring back Black Sail - it would be ideally suited to Kai.
Added a third YEA here to this!
G_Paul_K
Road Kill

My biggest hope for 2023 was Dominion since I didn't get to hear it in 2022. Missing out on a song this big on two occasions would be heartbreaking, really. It's a special song for me that got me into Sisters. So I got this one, lucky me :)

Other than that, as I watched this year's setlist develop, I hoped for Crash and Burn. They played it so consistently throughout the year and I was really unlucky here, I think.

Some of my "smaller" hopes were Susanne and Instrumental 86. The former did have some appearances this year and I kept my fingers crossed - no luck here either. And the latter was dropped after Dylan "left", so I didn't expect it to come back.

And from the I Was Wrong / Something Fast duo I hoped for the latter, because I had the former checked last year. Maybe next time!

Still, having been to merely two gigs, you can't really expect to get everything you wish for :)

Oh, and at some point I just hoped they'll play at all :lol:
DJW
Road Kill

Let’s have your predictions for the January set lists.

I expect the set to be identical to the vast majority of the recent autumn dates. No sandstorm, no surprises.

But let’s hope the band are in rude health and on top form.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

DJW wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 14:45

I expect the set to be identical to the vast majority of the recent autumn dates. No sandstorm, no surprises.
That would also be my prediction. Except for Ghent, where in lieu of the VirginMarys they will be performing The Reptile House in full prior to the main set. :innocent: :wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Aye, can't see any reason why they'd mix up a winning formula for these few dates. I confidently predict that The VirginMarys will rip the roof off the venue each night before the Sisters 8) :notworthy:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Erudite wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 15:03
DJW wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 14:45

That would also be my prediction. Except for Ghent, where in lieu of the VirginMarys they will be performing The Reptile House in full prior to the main set. :innocent: :wink:
:lol: ;D :notworthy:
oldmonkey
Road Kill

I was having a very in-depth conversation with my mate on the way to the footy about whether there would be a setlist refresh now for any more gigs later this year or next, now that there's been a few months of basically the same every night with only a couple of minor alterations, at least until the Jeepy medley found it's way to the front. My mate is very firmly of the opinion that any incarnation of a live band should only play the songs that they are involved in the creation of , so when a member leaves they should archive their songs. I did point out the obvious flaw in that with the recent Dylan departure!

Not sure I'd want a Sisters gig without at least a nod to days gone by, but I don't feel as though I want to hear Alice or Marian's current incarnations all that often. Personally I'd be happiest with a set of mostly stuff from the last five years or so, with three or four older tracks in the main set then the big old crowd pleasers in the encore. And I'd rather have a pre-recorded Von at audible levels than Ben's whine filling in, but that's just me being old I guess. And ALL gigs should start with FALAA, it should be mandatory like a rite of passage for all those in attendance. Would love to see Nine While Nine again, was lucky enough to see both its live outings back in 85. It won't happen of course. For me, Ribbons needs the outgoing INCOMING, not the same without it. Always very happy to have Body Electric offered up, but sad we've gone almost 40 years without Adrenochrome. Really want to see Show Me come back in for any more 2024 gigs, and Black Sail.

Hopes: FALAA restored to its rightful opening slot, Show Me, Black Sail, Body Electric, Driven Like The Snow, Nine While Nine

Fears: "Marian by numbers" version will stay, and there won't be any more gigs
Firmly in the veteran category these days. First near meth experience was 21/01/1983 upstairs at the Fighting Cocks pub in Moseley, Birmingham. Chalked up 50 odd in the next two years but tend to make it an annual pilgrimage nowadays.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

oldmonkey wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 23:13 My mate is very firmly of the opinion that any incarnation of a live band should only play the songs that they are involved in the creation of , so when a member leaves they should archive their songs.
I'm off to see Judas Priest in March, if they don't play any Tipton or Downing songs it's going to be a short set.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
H. Blackrose

ribbons69 wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 00:54
oldmonkey wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 23:13 My mate is very firmly of the opinion that any incarnation of a live band should only play the songs that they are involved in the creation of , so when a member leaves they should archive their songs.
I'm off to see Judas Priest in March, if they don't play any Tipton or Downing songs it's going to be a short set.
As I've said elsewhere, ex-members get royalties when their old band plays the songs they wrote. If the Sisters stopped playing Marian, W. H*ssey would be pissed off. Probably the same applies to A. Pearson and Summer.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."