Album Title: Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
NineWhileNine
Road Kill

I remember hearing that the name for the projected album after Overbombing was Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?, is this true or am I just misremembering. Would work with the song Summer
irresponsible decision making
Icon
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I never heard about a possible album title. But I‘d also like to know.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Not something I’ve ever heard.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
NineWhileNine
Road Kill

NineWhileNine wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 18:32 I remember hearing that the name for the projected album after Overbombing was Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?, is this true or am I just misremembering. Would work with the song Summer
Update: So I found out it was actually supposed to be made Glorious Summer and it was on the Sisters official website
irresponsible decision making
mh
Above the Chemist

I don't that was intended to be an album title. It was used as a title on the "Record News" page, explaining that the planned release of Summer as the first of a series of independent singles wasn't going to happen. But it was never explicitly said to be an album title.

It is of course a reference to a Shakespeare quote: "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York" - which could in turn be viewed as a reference to Summer being the first release after the escape from WEA ("the winter of our discontent").

Being of a certain age, it's impossible for me to hear that Shakespeare quote without adding "and consign their parts most private to a Rutland tree".
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
GC
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 06:01
Being of a certain age, it's impossible for me to hear that Shakespeare quote without adding "and consign their parts most private to a Rutland tree".
That was the alternative title to Gift.
mh
Above the Chemist

GC wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 09:54
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 11:06
GC wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 09:54
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
For you guys, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

But more serious: I always wondered whether the March Violets' excellent _Made Glorious_ album's title wasn't Si Denbigh's sly dig at Von
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Doubt it. Best buddies, still are. Which if you think about both Eldritch and Si's working relationships is a bit of a bloody miracle. :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: