Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

MoBetaBlues wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 08:25 didn't Cadiz sell 30 'test pressings' of Gift a few months back at over £100 each? how could they have needed 30 copies to test the quality?!
i guarantee you that they are simply bog-standard pressings with white labels on them. Maybe even standard MR labels on ordinary black vinyl, not even silver / grey. And as they will no doubt be un-numbered (because they seem to have fucked up the ltd.edn. status of the 'official' reissue(s) ) there could be any number of the fucking things in circulation. Cadiz you bell-ends, you've made a right pig's ear of that ain't you? Useless CUNTS,
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
deckard303
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 17:50
Planet Dave wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 12:05 All black disc? I'm IN!
:lol: Well why didnt they just say that from the start!
:roll:
deckard303 wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 15:02 Look closely and you will spot a personnel change on rear sleeve of this Cadiz release - looks like they've replaced legendary 1986 band member Alan Vela with some bloke called Alan Vega
its only the bootlegged cds that call him Alan Vela...
My CD was bought in Virgin Records in Reading in 1994 - it's the Rough Trade CD reissue from that year with 'Alan Vela' listed on rear sleeve (100% not the later bootleg, just the usual sloppy quality control)
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 06:19
MoBetaBlues wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 08:25 didn't Cadiz sell 30 'test pressings' of Gift a few months back at over £100 each? how could they have needed 30 copies to test the quality?!
i guarantee you that they are simply bog-standard pressings with white labels on them. Maybe even standard MR labels on ordinary black vinyl, not even silver / grey. And as they will no doubt be un-numbered (because they seem to have fucked up the ltd.edn. status of the 'official' reissue(s) ) there could be any number of the fucking things in circulation. Cadiz you bell-ends, you've made a right pig's ear of that ain't you? Useless CUNTS,
Pseudo test pressings aside, the funniest part of this release is that Cadiz don't even realise they've released quite an interesting record... I'm actually quietly thrilled with my copy of Gift because of the alternate takes and the oddities contained therein, such as the abrupt ending on Rain From Heaven. If this was sold as a "previously unreleased"" take of the record it would be a valid, if unessential, curio in the Sisters' discography. That they didn't even know what they had on those tapes which they had access to - and didn't bother to compare it to an original copy - is both mildly amusing and pretty sad...

Gift is a wonderful record and I like having another version of it. But Cadiz are almost comical in their cluelessness of putting it together and marketing it.
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Phantasmagoria wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 00:35 Pseudo test pressings aside, the funniest part of this release is that Cadiz don't even realise they've released quite an interesting record... (...) That they didn't even know what they had on those tapes which they had access to - and didn't bother to compare it to an original copy - is both mildly amusing and pretty sad...

Gift is a wonderful record and I like having another version of it.
Agreed... but who supplied the tapes?

Von?
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill

Yggdrasil wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 02:15
Phantasmagoria wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 00:35 Pseudo test pressings aside, the funniest part of this release is that Cadiz don't even realise they've released quite an interesting record... (...) That they didn't even know what they had on those tapes which they had access to - and didn't bother to compare it to an original copy - is both mildly amusing and pretty sad...

Von?
Yeah, thats an interesting question, isn’t it? Do you have any insight into that? I’ve no idea, personally, but I’d be very surprised if it was Von. Would he just hand off a tape and trust a third party to do it justice…? I can’t see that happening, but who knows? Anything is possible, because we just never know what’s going on with Von/Sisters behind the scenes. Obfuscation has always been their motif, onstage and off.

The fact they still, or at least did in the last few years, perform songs from the album suggests it’s something that Andrew still values.

It’s a good question though… where can someone just pick up an alternate master tape of Gift?
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Phantasmagoria wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 04:52
Yggdrasil wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 02:15

Von?

Yeah, thats an interesting question, isn’t it? Do you have any insight into that? I’ve no idea, personally, but I’d be very surprised if it was Von. Would he just hand off a tape and trust a third party to do it justice…? I can’t see that happening, but who knows? Anything is possible, because we just never know what’s going on with Von/Sisters behind the scenes. Obfuscation has always been their motif, onstage and off.

The fact they still, or at least did in the last few years, perform songs from the album suggests it’s something that Andrew still values.

It’s a good question though… where can someone just pick up an alternate master tape of Gift?
i'm guessing at Boyd Steemison. he was head of Merciful Release & The Reptile House around that time. he also wrote the lyrics for Giving Ground so would hold legitimate rights over (some) of the copyrighted material.. the whole album may be published to him. I doubt Von had anything to do with it.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: