Interview with Ben in Soundsphere. May 2024

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ruffers
Overbomber

He remains a lovely chap.

Bit of chat about how happy he is to have Kai in the band and Chris back which I believe although he would say that anyway of course.

Beginning to feel like Dylan is being erased from history. Given how much the band advanced during his tenure I'm a bit uncomfortable with that but I guess it's not my trainset.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

A nice interview, but yeah, I know what you mean.

Dylan coincided with the greatest period of productivity and creativity in 20 years. Possibly it had nothing to do with him, and he just happened to be around and this would have happened anyway. But if he WAS instrumental to it, then sadly the implication is that with him gone, so too is that creative streak. Hard to say. But I think that's fair game in an interview to ask about.

I slightly wonder if Ben et al are specifically asking NOT to be asked about what happened when they agree to do press? Maybe the interviewers just aren't switched on enough to ask?

I can understand why they might not want to talk about it - it might be embarassing for Dylan (or them!) and they don't want to focus on it because it wouldn't be nice - but in the absense of any actual statement etc, all we're left with is 'so that happened.'

At the same time, there were parts of this interview that probably could be interpreted as being about Dylan - Ben talks a bit about the pressures of the road and fitting in, etc.

I'm still glad they do these interviews, and Ben's personal journey is really something remarkable. Both Chris and him are really cool people. I can understand why Von would be drawn to continuing to work with them. Problem solvers the pair of them.
Depprocksfarfar

... that was a lot of talking and not much of interest for me personally, nice chappery chap aside. And he's obviously not allowed to talk about whatever happend to Dylan or Eldritch recent health-problems, causing quite a few cancellations rather recently etc.etc., things that interviewers REALLY want to know about, even though the latter is no surprise keeping quiet on. In Dylans case; being fired from a band ONSTAGE during a live concert was quite a shock for a lot of us. And STILL keeping Dylans picture on official site and "having a go" at him with that "so that happened" line, rather to announce they have a new guitarist, is a strange move to me if Eldritch just want to keep things quiet. To this day Kai doesn't officialy exist on "the only official source" since Eldritch can't be bothered. Quite sad really. And Dave Creffield? He suddenly seems to be permanently out? Not a single word about him either. And yes, i'm aware of why he had to be temporarily out.

...God, i really miss Dylan, pardon my gibberish..
Pista
Cureboi

Depprocksfarfar wrote: 30 May 2024, 10:42 ... that was a lot of talking and not much of interest for me personally, nice chappery chap aside. And he's obviously not allowed to talk about whatever happend to Dylan or Eldritch recent health-problems, causing quite a few cancellations rather recently etc.etc., things that interviewers REALLY want to know about, even though the latter is no surprise keeping quiet on. In Dylans case; being fired from a band ONSTAGE during a live concert was quite a shock for a lot of us. And STILL keeping Dylans picture on official site and "having a go" at him with that "so that happened" line, rather to announce they have a new guitarist, is a strange move to me if Eldritch just want to keep things quiet. To this day Kai doesn't officialy exist on "the only official source" since Eldritch can't be bothered. Quite sad really. And Dave Creffield? He suddenly seems to be permanently out? Not a single word about him either. And yes, i'm aware of why he had to be temporarily out.

The "so that happened" comment was there after Dylan played his first show
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Depprocksfarfar

Pista wrote: 30 May 2024, 20:26
Depprocksfarfar wrote: 30 May 2024, 10:42 ... that was a lot of talking and not much of interest for me personally, nice chappery chap aside. And he's obviously not allowed to talk about whatever happend to Dylan or Eldritch recent health-problems, causing quite a few cancellations rather recently etc.etc., things that interviewers REALLY want to know about, even though the latter is no surprise keeping quiet on. In Dylans case; being fired from a band ONSTAGE during a live concert was quite a shock for a lot of us. And STILL keeping Dylans picture on official site and "having a go" at him with that "so that happened" line, rather to announce they have a new guitarist, is a strange move to me if Eldritch just want to keep things quiet. To this day Kai doesn't officialy exist on "the only official source" since Eldritch can't be bothered. Quite sad really. And Dave Creffield? He suddenly seems to be permanently out? Not a single word about him either. And yes, i'm aware of why he had to be temporarily out.

The "so that happened" comment was there after Dylan played his first show
Nah, it was "So that's happening" after he joined the band, and changed to "So that happened" after he got fired.
Todashi

Yes, that was a small but interesting change.

The page has also been updated multiple times since then with new gig entries, etc. And that pic of Dylan is still there.

Which I suppose is marginally better than just erasing him, Stalin-style, from history. His songwriting credits are still there too.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I rather like this interview, particularly the parts about the difficulties of being in a position as such (inclucing the alcohol thing). On the fan side, one might also end up somewhat outside, not doing drugs and stuff, but hell. Gotta know who you are.

And maybe too much of all the impressions that touring bring with them for a band have also been one reason for Dylan's fall, but that could have happened to anyone not used to it, so I don't think he will be forgotten or deleted from Sisters history but always remain friends with the band (from all sides) with out any bad thoughts after all.

Lovely anyway, to listen to this interview after almost 20 years of Ben being in the band ... cool ... :) :notworthy: ...
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Todashi wrote: 30 May 2024, 09:45 Dylan coincided with the greatest period of productivity and creativity in 20 years. Possibly it had nothing to do with him, and he just happened to be around and this would have happened anyway. But if he WAS instrumental to it, then sadly the implication is that with him gone, so too is that creative streak. Hard to say.
It's a tough one.
Dylan’s just a rock monster! Musically he’s got the chops, but he joined us because he’s a fantastic rhythm guitar player – that’s all I was basically interested in at the time; I’m discovering the depth of his talent now. When we first got all together in that rehearsal space in Belgium – wow: things started happening. But I can’t tell you what he brings exactly; I’m so inside of it, I can’t see it, but the chemistry is definitely different. Even Ben is more revved up.
- Von, 09/21
With Ben, Chris and Kai, they can keep working on the new songs. The sound would be slightly different (I'm thinking some more elaborate drums and airier gtr), but it would be just as much The Sisters.
Todashi wrote: 31 May 2024, 09:33 And that pic of Dylan is still there.

Which I suppose is marginally better than just erasing him, Stalin-style, from history. His songwriting credits are still there too.
Never seen any USSR-stylings anywhere near this band. :innocent:
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Dylan was mention in this interview from 6 days ago.

And Ben even mentions a desire to get the 20 or so songs finished and road ready. Surprising lack of mentioning Kai.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Ta for that. From 16:35:
In 2019 through to 2021, we had this incredible, very prolific burst of creativity of new songs, where we wrote maybe over 20 songs... in different var(iations?)... and there's still stuff now, in fact, we've... I'm actually... we're looking to do some more writing sessions and I've actually revisited some of the works we didn't quite finish during that period, and bringing them out again.
Ben's on the job, then. New-new songs possible in the setlist this fall.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

the first interview is a bit dull but never mind. Loved him going on about the credit thing for far too long to emphasise -both ways- how hes let it all go, but really hasnt let it go,
Let It Go, Christo! ...giving up alcohol does weird things to folks. if you know you know.

second interview was good. loved the joining the Sisters story. why am i not surprised that Von uses a fax machine? curmudgeonly yet tech-aware old git. respectfully.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

copper wrote: 08 Jun 2024, 10:35
Dylan’s just a rock monster! Musically he’s got the chops, but he joined us because he’s a fantastic rhythm guitar player – that’s all I was basically interested in at the time; I’m discovering the depth of his talent now. When we first got all together in that rehearsal space in Belgium – wow: things started happening. But I can’t tell you what he brings exactly; I’m so inside of it, I can’t see it, but the chemistry is definitely different. Even Ben is more revved up.
- Von, 09/21
What brings amazing amounts of energy in 2019-2021 might threaten to capsize the band altogether in 2023, and perhaps for the same reason
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."