Still in love with Still

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

Any love out there for Still ?
sultan2075
Overbomber

deirfiur wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 11:11 Any love out there for Still ?
I’ve always really dug that riff.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

It's a solid riff in a decent little song, but it suffered from Sisters expectations. It was played at a time when bugger all new was happening and so it didn't really 'land' as well with fans as it might have.

If it had dropped as part of the 2022 'album' (sorry, but you know what I mean, the batch of new songs that came along in 2022, amounting to an album's worth of music), I think it would have sat really well next to some of the more substantial songs in there. It would work really well as a sort of light poppier moment, next to Caligula or Show Me.

Also, https://soundcloud.com/alex-meehan/still-rough-demo
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

It's like a latter day Andrenochrome with a bit more polish
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Still is a great track released at the wrong moment as @Todashi pointed out.
I feel Arms is a victim of the same problem tbh.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Husek wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 14:15 Still is a great track released at the wrong moment as @Todashi pointed out.
I feel Arms is a victim of the same problem tbh.
I thought we talked about "inspiration" for Arms, not a bad one, but still resemblance to this is too close.

Still, kind of fade away in the light of the latest batch of new songs, it happens. Each and every bad writing new songs are dropping older. It wasn't particularly bad one, but not great either, too generic, imo.
mh
Above the Chemist

I liked Still.

I wasn't a fan of some of the grumpier moments of the Pearson years; even though the songs were obviously great, the general attitude and mood of the band had soured me somewhat. At the time Still seemed to point to a way forward and a shedding of some of the darkness. It's just a shame that they weren't able, for whatever reason, to follow through with more songs at the time.

But I still liked Still, and miss it from the sets.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Still was written by Chris Catalyst, to the best of my recollection. Well after the Pearson era.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

mh wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 15:53 I liked Still.

I wasn't a fan of some of the grumpier moments of the Pearson years; even though the songs were obviously great, the general attitude and mood of the band had soured me somewhat. At the time Still seemed to point to a way forward and a shedding of some of the darkness. It's just a shame that they weren't able, for whatever reason, to follow through with more songs at the time.

But I still liked Still, and miss it from the sets.
Completely agree ... :wink: ... a little less darkness, that was nice, but they decided for the other way somewhat unnoticed by most and decades ago ...
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

The definitive version from the AB recording is fkng brilliant.
If you were asking my opinion then I would say delete that.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Todashi wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 11:51 It's a solid riff in a decent little song, but it suffered from Sisters expectations. It was played at a time when bugger all new was happening and so it didn't really 'land' as well with fans as it might have.

If it had dropped as part of the 2022 'album' (sorry, but you know what I mean, the batch of new songs that came along in 2022, amounting to an album's worth of music), I think it would have sat really well next to some of the more substantial songs in there. It would work really well as a sort of light poppier moment, next to Caligula or Show Me.

With respect i heartily disagree with a lot of that Todashi. it was the very first new song written/played out by anyband members who had never recorded with the band so yes a flower in the desert of silence.

2006 was the beginning of a new age of optimism from Andrew it seemed. Smoke and Mirrors ending in 2003 was dark in so many ways in the abscence of Our Glorious Summer and the 2005 fezzie tour saw the end of Mr Whammy. However 2006s Silver Bullet tour showed us this- it was either a big goodbye or a statement of intent with the band playing everywhere worthy playing as well as the University of East Anglia where i determined to my satisfaction that Von was being terribly grown-up and touring the world as a drug-free elder statesman. The same gig also confirmed to my satisfaction that Andy -Burn- was much better at pool than i was but i was far luckier, and that Chris Robo-Breezers Catalyst was a damned nice bloke. He chatted with us for ages after i sent a couple of vaccuous groupies off with fleas in their ears.
Chris: You must be Heartlanders
Me: How could you tell?
Chris: because you are intelligent
Me: Are you saying that there are Sisters fans who arent intelligent
Chris: I'm saying that there are Sisters fans who arent Heartlanders...

I discovered that Von was indeed on early nights (druglesss douglass and smoking silk cut but holding the voice together).

Next evening at Rock City i spent the last painfree night of mine and my sons mums relationship before she started taking speed and drinking again after 9 months breast-feeding Rocky and went insane.

And i watched the Sisters for the 3rd time in 3 days with no idea if this was the last time.
4 songs in SOMETHING NEW! definitely not an oldie played badly or a cover cuz none of us had heard it before. When i got Si Denbighs cue-sheet for the Doktor at the end of the night a new song was confirmed!

dont think it was played again until Lokeren or Tilsburg a couple days after -which is the definitive version IMO- but pretty sure no recording of Notts was available to the masses until after then so that was the version of the song added to the collection inc CnB, Summer, slept et al. and because it seemed to say that the Sisters were just changing state not packing it in so "Stilll.....The Sisters Of Mercy" has been my personal title for that '4th' album ever since. (Andrew wouldnt call it anything that drab but seeing as its his fault -sort of- that i was taking speed almost exactly the same time i discovered the band but i never have given it up hes allowed to see things from an artistic point of view rather than a quantum one.)

Still is the cheeriest upbeat Sisters song for a while and they need a bouncy tune every now and again. its not as good as Walk Away but it pisses all over Come Together. what underlined Still for me was that the next new song unvieled was Arms which is utter s**t compared to 99.99999999% of the other sisters material IMO.
if you sound like you ripped off Jaz's Joke (but not in a good way like Nirvana did) then its probably s**t. or something. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
copper
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 23 Jun 2024, 11:56it was the very first new song written/played out by anyband members who had never recorded with the band so yes a flower in the desert of silence.
Mike Varjak and Suzanne would like a word.

Chris is a top bloke, but most Adam/Dylan -era songs kick Still and Arms.
eastmidswhizzkid

copper wrote: 23 Jun 2024, 13:55
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 23 Jun 2024, 11:56it was the very first new song written/played out by anyband members who had never recorded with the band so yes a flower in the desert of silence.
Mike Varjak and Suzanne would like a word.

Chris is a top bloke, but most Adam/Dylan -era songs kick Still and Arms.
adam played on Under The Gun so he recorded. mike really didnt write much. suzanne was official as it wwas on the site for d/l. he may not have actually recorded but he was supposed to. so recording era member even if he didnt record.
i love pearson- era songs btw-summer and crash n burn are in my all time favourite sisters songs- and rate most of them above the latest era. but my point remains. still was the first written by a member from the post recording era

H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Adam Pearson was a great songwriter (I agree about Summer, C&B, Romeo Down, possibly War on Drugs being stone classics) but I honestly think that - if you think that Von's stubbornness has sadly curtailed TSOM's possibilities of success - that probably goes double for Pearson. Von gets the blame for a lot of stuff that seems to have been at least partly Adam's doing - down to the end of recordings - and his post-music career is also evidence of crankiness in abundance.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
eastmidswhizzkid

Rock stars innit. Thats artistic types for you. i actually think there are so many contributing factors to how The Sisters' story has panned & it is simply what it is. Too long on this journey now it give it much thought. I just appreciate what we have had and what we have got now. Things aint likely to change much any time soon.

mh
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 23 Jun 2024, 11:56
Todashi wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 11:51 It's a solid riff in a decent little song, but it suffered from Sisters expectations. It was played at a time when bugger all new was happening and so it didn't really 'land' as well with fans as it might have.

With respect i heartily disagree with a lot of that Todashi. it was the very first new song written/played out by anyband members who had never recorded with the band so yes a flower in the desert of silence.

2006 was the beginning of a new age of optimism from Andrew it seemed. Smoke and Mirrors ending in 2003 was dark in so many ways in the abscence of Our Glorious Summer and the 2005 fezzie tour saw the end of Mr Whammy. However 2006s Silver Bullet tour showed us this- it was either a big goodbye or a statement of intent with the band playing everywhere worthy playing as well as the University of East Anglia where i determined to my satisfaction that Von was being terribly grown-up and touring the world as a drug-free elder statesman. The same gig also confirmed to my satisfaction that Andy -Burn- was much better at pool than i was but i was far luckier, and that Chris Robo-Breezers Catalyst was a damned nice bloke. He chatted with us for ages after i sent a couple of vaccuous groupies off with fleas in their ears.
Chris: You must be Heartlanders
Me: How could you tell?
Chris: because you are intelligent
Me: Are you saying that there are Sisters fans who arent intelligent
Chris: I'm saying that there are Sisters fans who arent Heartlanders...

I discovered that Von was indeed on early nights (druglesss douglass and smoking silk cut but holding the voice together).

Next evening at Rock City i spent the last painfree night of mine and my sons mums relationship before she started taking speed and drinking again after 9 months breast-feeding Rocky and went insane.

And i watched the Sisters for the 3rd time in 3 days with no idea if this was the last time.
4 songs in SOMETHING NEW! definitely not an oldie played badly or a cover cuz none of us had heard it before. When i got Si Denbighs cue-sheet for the Doktor at the end of the night a new song was confirmed!

dont think it was played again until Lokeren or Tilsburg a couple days after -which is the definitive version IMO- but pretty sure no recording of Notts was available to the masses until after then so that was the version of the song added to the collection inc CnB, Summer, slept et al. and because it seemed to say that the Sisters were just changing state not packing it in so "Stilll.....The Sisters Of Mercy" has been my personal title for that '4th' album ever since. (Andrew wouldnt call it anything that drab but seeing as its his fault -sort of- that i was taking speed almost exactly the same time i discovered the band but i never have given it up hes allowed to see things from an artistic point of view rather than a quantum one.)

Still is the cheeriest upbeat Sisters song for a while and they need a bouncy tune every now and again. its not as good as Walk Away but it pisses all over Come Together. what underlined Still for me was that the next new song unvieled was Arms which is utter s**t compared to 99.99999999% of the other sisters material IMO.
if you sound like you ripped off Jaz's Joke (but not in a good way like Nirvana did) then its probably s**t. or something. :von:
This is exactly it. :notworthy:

For all that Adam's songs were (mostly) excellent, signs are that he was an even bigger grumpypants than Von (I say this having never met him, and I'll acknowledge that Chris is quite capable of pulling a mood as well) and the mood around the band was dark and unpleasant during his time. You only need to read his contributions to the website to get the vibe.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.