Politics? Nah

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 13:50 This may or may not be related, but I guess the main reason is invasion itself. States are usually slow in reacting, thus time was needed to see some changes in the spending area.
Your last comment is so on point. This years conference is focused on increasing funding from NATO countries.

“We are the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx.
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.”
This place is death with walls

Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears
alanm
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So how long do you reckon after Trump is elected to when then new album drops?
Von clearly meant the second term.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
ruffers
Overbomber

I'm watching a Trump speech live from a rally in Michigan and it's amazing. Kind of free style word association throwing in asides from all over the place.

It's fascinating to watch

He just said he owes his life to an immigration policy because he turned to look at a sign about it when shots were fired.
Chucking another log on
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Even not being a big fan of Orange Goblin , to put it lightly, his major opponent it also not in touch with reality mostly due aging and its natural consequences (I know, it's ageism from my side).
longtimelurker
Road Kill

ruffers wrote: 20 Jul 2024, 22:46 I'm watching a Trump speech live from a rally in Michigan and it's amazing. Kind of free style word association throwing in asides from all over the place.

It's fascinating to watch
That's how I felt watching him in the run-up to 2016. To me his speeches & rallies seemed to have a lot more energy/entertainment back then, though maybe some of that was due to the newness of it all. Still remember some of his random quotes from time to time and laugh. "I love the poorly educated", no politician but Trump was saying those type of things out loud.

And now Hulk Hogan just gave a primetime speech at the RNC. Wild times we're living in.
longtimelurker
Road Kill

Bartek wrote: 21 Jul 2024, 10:32 Even not being a big fan of Orange Goblin , to put it lightly, his major opponent it also not in touch with reality mostly due aging and its natural consequences (I know, it's ageism from my side).
Yeah, the physical & mental condition of Biden is legit terrifying. Weeks of debate preparation & presumably drugged to the max. And that's the best they could make him appear.

As much as Eldritch hates Trump, the American media he likes to consume shares a lot of blame in us being in the position we're in right now. They long knew the truth, but have instead been aggressively gaslighting and pressuring people for years.

A mere month ago MSNBC (a Von favorite) was saying that this is the "best version of Biden ever". An actual quote! Biden gaffes were being arrogantly dismissed as "cheap fakes". Or simply not reported at all. Another Eldritch favorite, Seth Meyers, gave Biden the biggest softball interview ever a few months ago. It has since come out that recent Biden interviews were scripted in advance & even edited according the the wishes of Biden's people. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Such a gross and deliberate coverup. You can even go way back to the 2019 Democratic primaries. Julian Castro (then a rising young democrat running for president) called out Biden's memory problems and lack of mental acuity. (doing so ended Castro's political career, surprise surprise)

To Bartek, I would like to respectfully disagree with pinning it solely on age. Bernie Sanders is older than Biden and far far sharper than a lot of dumb youngish Republicans in both the house and senate. You have plenty of much older people in all facets of life who are still competent. Warren Buffet is 93 and drinks 5 cans of coke a day while I think still running Berkshire Hathaway!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Well yes, you're right with these example, yet statistically and biologically the older you are the worst your cognvitive ability become. Fact there are examples proving otherwise doesn't make this wrong.

Saying that Kamila Trump is another opponent as Joe has stepped down. The corpses in her wardrobe can't wait to come out and strangle her (unlike in Donald Harris, who's wardrobe have been searched numerous of times).

People of USofA and the rest of the world must learn again how to deal with Orange Goblin (yet i really want to be wrong here; but more investors from Silicon Valley are supporting the Goblin, and betting on his win, also because he is less willing to make them any trouble and maybe even some tax preferences to come).
Last edited by Bartek on 22 Jul 2024, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote: 21 Jul 2024, 20:46 Well yes, you're right with these example, yet statistically and biologically the older you are the worst your convitive ability become. Fact there are examples poving otherwise doesn't make this wrong.

Saying that Kamila Trump is another opponent as Joe has stepped down. The corpses in her wardrobe can't wait to come out and strangle her (unlike in Donald Harris, who's wardrobe have been searched numerous of times).

People of USofA and the rest of the world must learn again how to deal with Orange Goblin (yet i really want to be wrong here; but more investors from Silicon Valley are supporting the Goblin, and betting on his win, also because he is less willing to make them any troubble and maybe even some tax preferences to come).
Kamala Harris has a pretty bad reputation in DC, and I notice that Obama does not seem to have endorsed her yet (and he's the real kingmaker, or in this case queenmaker, in the Democratic party). I've got a dear friend who has worked with her in a professional capacity on a couple of occasions and doesn't have anything nice to say about her. She's regarded by a lot of people here as being the worst combination of intellectually lazy and viciously cruel. Staff turnover in her office is pretty high.

I increasingly view American elections as contests between war-criminals and aspiring war-criminals. Ian MacKaye from Fugazi/Minor Threat once commented that he votes for the most anti-war candidate he can. Other than Libertarians or the American Solidarity Party (not even on the ballot in half the country), that is, paradoxically and perhaps surprisingly, Donald Trump. He's the only American president of my lifetime to not launch an invasion of another country (and when pushed to start a war with Iran over a drone being shot down, he refused on the grounds that no one had actually died since it was a drone). Trump's Republican Party is increasingly the party of the American working-class who have seen their children sent overseas to fight and die in the pointless forever wars, and they're tired of it. Can't say I blame them. When he called the invasion of Iraq a terrible idea, he gained a lot of loyalty from that part of the American people. Picking Vance for VP will almost certainly shore up that loyalty, since he's a veteran of those wars and has been very critical of American foreign policy under Bush/Obama/Biden.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

She's regarded by a lot of people here as being the worst combination of intellectually lazy and viciously cruel. Staff turnover in her office is pretty high.
That is pretty much what I've heard listening left-wing podcast here. But it's down to people, to media machinery to make people's mind, to convince them by using popularity and voices of celebrities (which is already happening), that Kamala is the best what Democrats has to offer to the people of the USofA (and btw the rest of the world). But to me it looks the same as here in PL, so-called liberals from big cities are puzzled why citizens of mid-size, smaller towns, and villages are not loving them, trying to find good from their perspective "moral" and "intellectual" explanations/excuses to that, throwing words like: "fascism", "populism", but not trying to understand their pains and needs and address it properly. But in USofA is also about representation; so have fun watching how hundreds of millions of dollars are being burned.

Being anti-sending new troops to foreign lands to fight a war that means nothing and change even less, it's obviously right, but on the other hand world is different place now, the grasshopper (China) lays fat, and for some reason both PRCh and USofA seems to be OK with the idea of conflict (either old fashioned mano a mano by sending sons to the foreign land, or other way; anyhow destructive).
sultan2075
Overbomber

I have no idea who is running the USA right now. To be fair, I never really thought Biden was in charge (his issues were apparent before he was elected), so practically speaking nothing has likely changed. But the fact that it's so blatantly obvious that the president is not actually in charge is concerning for a whole bunch of reasons.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.