Introduction

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

I guess the first post should be an introduction, right? So, it's, well, about the Sisters and me...

In school there have been two path that could lead into coolness; one was athletics, being star of the football team, and so. Of course that wasn’t for me.

The other was the artsy, boheme thing, and that felt more apt. Soon enough I found that the older rock thing was a better canvas to throw my attitude upon than contemporary music (it was the mid-eighties, so not that much of a surprise), and some listening took me to the darker side of the sixties (think The Doors, „Paint It Black“, The Velvet Underground, MC5) than Bubble Gum and I was convinced that black suited me better than neon pink.

Then the summer of 87 came, MTV introduced me to The Cult and the Cure, there where posters from a band called the Mishies or so hanging all around Vienna, a movie called Gothic was the craze among us youngsters around here. I discovered new places, and on one of my explorations to those lesser promoted records stores I finally brought First And Last And Always home with me (among some Siouxsie, Dead Can Dance and Echo and The Bunnymen) and that was it for that.

It was consequently the Sisters that defined the soundtrack of this summer, dwelling in a dark, Byronesque attitude I’m afraid I was a bit prone to at these times.

But when in fall Floodland hit the shelves, I’ve recognized the band (or, Mr. Eldritch, to be precise), had a much wider range, and it might be that his sometimes more educated attitude encouraged me to become a bit more serious person myself. But anyway, who knows…

So, while I’m for sure not the one around here having attended the most gigs nor with the biggest range of Live records in my shelf, they remained being a mayor influence ever since.

When asked, what still gives them this influence for me, I’d say it’s simply Von’s vision of his band being that of an intelligent, kind of anti-naive, anti-simplish kind of a rock band. I like his take on post modernism as well. Intelligence, as I said.

Aren’t that many around these days.

Thanks for having me aboard, I promise to misbehave properly.
Fireworks, Black Winds, Guns, all that lot...
ExPsichonaut
Road Kill

Welcome
Icon
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Welcome! :D
Your shelf might get filled with a few live recordings if you‘d like it to. Just post some more on the forum and you you might find a source.
Are you from Austria? You mentioned Vienna…
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

Icon wrote: 22 Jul 2024, 16:40 Are you from Austria? You mentioned Vienna…
Yep, Vienna in Austria. So I guess we're neighbours - where in Germany?

Sure looking for one or the other live records, but as a next I made the plan to gather all the official recordings. "Body & Soul" is still missing, 12" from "Temple of Love" and I don't have "Floodland" on vinyl any longer, since I borrowed it to a friend some 36 years ago.

But I definitely am looking for a good quality recording from the newer stuff...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Hi there, welcome here ... :D ...
Icon
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Chief Cohiba wrote: 22 Jul 2024, 18:22
Icon wrote: 22 Jul 2024, 16:40 Are you from Austria? You mentioned Vienna…
Yep, Vienna in Austria. So I guess we're neighbours - where in Germany?

Sure looking for one or the other live records, but as a next I made the plan to gather all the official recordings. "Body & Soul" is still missing, 12" from "Temple of Love" and I don't have "Floodland" on vinyl any longer, since I borrowed it to a friend some 36 years ago.

But I definitely am looking for a good quality recording from the newer stuff...
I‘m from the North of Germany. Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony).
For live recordings you might find the Sharing section helpful. But to avoid random people downloading them and then selling them on eBay, you only have access after a number of posts. So just participate in the chats a bit and suddenly you‘ll be quite busy listening to a lot of stuff new and old. :)
Pista
Cureboi

Welcome @Chief Cohiba all the way from deepest darkest Hungary :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

Icon wrote: 23 Jul 2024, 06:35
I‘m from the North of Germany. Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony).
For live recordings you might find the Sharing section helpful. But to avoid random people downloading them and then selling them on eBay, you only have access after a number of posts. So just participate in the chats a bit and suddenly you‘ll be quite busy listening to a lot of stuff new and old. :)
Sure, I've read the policy (somewhere) and makes sense to me. Can't wait to dive into some new stuff, and Grüße in den Norden!
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 23 Jul 2024, 06:43 Welcome @Chief Cohiba all the way from deepest darkest Hungary :D
I see, a lot of neighbours around here! I am myself in Budapest quiet often for business reasons. Thanks for the welcome!
ruffers
Overbomber

Hello from here (Leeds)
Chucking another log on
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

Guys, many thanks for the welcome to y'all, from Hungary to Leeds, from Vienna to Hamburg and everywhere else!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Welcome to Heartland Chief :D
If you were asking my opinion then I would say delete that.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Welcome to Heartland. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

Thank you all, guys, for the welcome!
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

howzit! and welcome to :hl:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Chief Cohiba
Road Kill

Well, many thanks!