'HERE'. The successor to 'Paint My Name in Black and Gold'

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
black smurf
Amphetamine Filth

That's me in as well.
trying to be the person my dog already thinks i am......
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The more I think about it, the more I think the title is misleading, because _Here_ would be the theoretical fifth TSOM album. The fourth would have come out in about 2000 and had "Summer", "Crash and Burn", "Romeo Down", "War on Drugs" and "Will I Dream" on it.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 09 Sep 2024, 22:47 The more I think about it, the more I think the title is misleading, because _Here_ would be the theoretical fifth TSOM album. The fourth would have come out in about 2000 and had "Summer", "Crash and Burn", "Romeo Down", "War on Drugs" and "Will I Dream" on it.
To be fair, there's no reason to think that the various tunes which hinted at previous recording plans when they first emerged would've actually ended up on an album.

Anyway, I'm in.
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

Ocean Moves wrote: 07 Sep 2024, 22:41 This is wonderful news.

But - a point of clarity - am I right that there are no plans in the wings to cover the 1986 - 1993 period, in a book ? - since "Here" starts 1993 onwards ?
I'll be honest, as much as my gut reaction is to feel that 86-93 is *the* period to investigate and demystify, my head reaction is to think that there's probably not much there that's particularly edifying. Lots of myth, lots of legend and lots of unanswered questions, but I generally suspect that if anyone manages to put a book out around this period it will reveal little more than ordinary, mundane, prosaic reality. The periods before and since strike me as the more fertile.
H. Blackrose

86-89 is probably subject to the gag order that ended Morrison v. Eldritch.

90-93 was IMHO pretty adequately reported in Underneath The Rock.

ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 10 Sep 2024, 01:11 86-89 is probably subject to the gag order that ended Morrison v. Eldritch.
If that was the case that would only apply to Patricia since Von isn't going to contribute anything to this book, everyone else would be fair game. Although Steinmans no longer with us of course.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 08 Sep 2024, 23:41
Ocean Moves wrote: 07 Sep 2024, 22:41 But - a point of clarity - am I right that there are no plans in the wings to cover the 1986 - 1993 period, in a book ? - since "Here" starts 1993 onwards ?
Trevor Ristow has those plans. Mark Andrews doesn't.
I think if you want to deal with an unrealised album and how the band has functioned instead, there are things 1978-93 that are relevant. I doubt 'Here' will have a linear structure.
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 09 Sep 2024, 17:23 Is 'here' a working title? Do we have it from the band that that would be the name of the 4th album? :)
I get to choose the title of the 4th album and the tracks that are on it! Eldritch has ceded that right ...
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 09 Sep 2024, 22:47 The more I think about it, the more I think the title is misleading, because _Here_ would be the theoretical fifth TSOM album. The fourth would have come out in about 2000 and had "Summer", "Crash and Burn", "Romeo Down", "War on Drugs" and "Will I Dream" on it.
Never had an album's worth of material until 2019-2022, in my view. There are better songs 2019-22 than 1993-2018. Mostly. Crash and Burn is a keeper.
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

Fallon wrote: 09 Sep 2024, 23:05

But - a point of clarity - am I right that there are no plans in the wings to cover the 1986 - 1993 period, in a book ? - since "Here" starts 1993 onwards ?
I'll be honest, as much as my gut reaction is to feel that 86-93 is *the* period to investigate and demystify, my head reaction is to think that there's probably not much there that's particularly edifying. Lots of myth, lots of legend and lots of unanswered questions, but I generally suspect that if anyone manages to put a book out around this period it will reveal little more than ordinary, mundane, prosaic reality. The periods before and since strike me as the more fertile.
1986-89, Andrew is (musically) a solo act and everything goes swimmingly. Much of it in public. There's a story there for sure but what has Eldritch to add. Morrison won't talk. Steinman's dead. There are interesting seams that haven't been mined. Trevor has his helmet on and pick-axe out ... let's see what he unearths.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

MAndrews wrote: 10 Sep 2024, 16:06
Never had an album's worth of material until 2019-2022, in my view. There are better songs 2019-22 than 1993-2018. Mostly. Crash and Burn is a keeper.
How controversial!
War on drugs, We are the Same, Susanne. But, de gustibus non est importantum :wink:
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote: 10 Sep 2024, 17:28
How controversial!
War on drugs, We are the Same, Susanne. But, de gustibus non est importantum :wink:
If Jimmy Iovine had agreed to produce We are the Same, Susanne, we might have heard it. Just a guess ...
Nyth Grandbeard
Amphetamine Filth

Im assuming since Mr. Whammy was the deciding factor on whether or not these got recorded back in the day, and now that he is A.) no longer in the band and B.) gone off the conspiracy deep end, chances are even lower for these songs to be revisited in any recorded capacity. Even if one day when Von joins the 'Great Avocados Farm in the Sky,' and the rights to his music get gobbled up by vultures, I have a feeling we won't even see a posthumous live album with those songs which is a shame because War on Drugs and Arms are some of my favorite sisters songs bar none, at least we got a decent official version of Susanne
H. Blackrose

Bartek wrote: 10 Sep 2024, 17:28
How controversial!
I mean, Eldritch obviously rates "Summer" because that's a constant feature on all setlists (and of course it would/should have been the post-WEA single)

z666
Amphetamine Filth

Which songs are better is a matter of taste, obviously. To me the main diference between the 4th and the 5th album, so to say, is the development of the songs. The 93-98 songs were composed and performed with the idea of a proper recording in mind, so they sound more "finished" to me. They were written considering the studio version of the Sisters, not just the live band. The 5th album is, for obvious reasons, more live oriented and less elaborated.
satanarchist
Road Kill

z666 wrote: 11 Sep 2024, 09:16 Which songs are better is a matter of taste, obviously. To me the main diference between the 4th and the 5th album, so to say, is the development of the songs. The 93-98 songs were composed and performed with the idea of a proper recording in mind, so they sound more "finished" to me. They were written considering the studio version of the Sisters, not just the live band. The 5th album is, for obvious reasons, more live oriented and less elaborated.
Are you saying to don't like the majority of the new songs stopping at the end one beat after von says the name of the song?
sentenza
Amphetamine Filth

Hi there ! I tried to pledge on the unbound'site for several days but unfortunatly I just can't. When I click in my bag to check out , nothing happens. I tried on mozilla, edge...I accepted all the cookies, desactived Adblock etc. But it doesn't work. Do any of you have the same issues ? Mark, do you have some infos ?
"this is the revenge of the fuckwit"
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

sentenza wrote: 13 Sep 2024, 12:50 Hi there ! I tried to pledge on the unbound'site for several days but unfortunatly I just can't. When I click in my bag to check out , nothing happens. I tried on mozilla, edge...I accepted all the cookies, desactived Adblock etc. But it doesn't work. Do any of you have the same issues ? Mark, do you have some infos ?
The Unbound site is beyond my remit. Try the 'contact us' at the bottom of the page ...
Ocean Moves

Fallon wrote: 09 Sep 2024, 23:05

Get your point. I think the struggle might be trying to get anything meaningful from outsiders, during that period, given the band was 2 people for the first part and neither of them will likely talk for the book, and there was no touring.
Ocean Moves

Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 10 Sep 2024, 19:25 Im assuming since Mr. Whammy was the deciding factor on whether or not these got recorded back in the day, and now that he is A.) no longer in the band and B.) gone off the conspiracy deep end, chances are even lower for these songs to be revisited in any recorded capacity. Even if one day when Von joins the 'Great Avocados Farm in the Sky,' and the rights to his music get gobbled up by vultures, I have a feeling we won't even see a posthumous live album with those songs which is a shame because War on Drugs and Arms are some of my favorite sisters songs bar none, at least we got a decent official version of Susanne
I just hope the cellar DAT tapes come out, one way or the other.