What ever present tune in recent ish sets could you happily do without?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Icon
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Ahem, don’t hit me, but I never ever liked Lucretia. I could happily live without ever hearing it again.
I would really love Will I Dream, War On Drugs, Lights and Floorshow (only on the last day of the tour to let his voice recover afterwards :wink: ) to come back on. Alternatively I stand by my former wish of only new songs. ;D
ruffers
Overbomber

Lovely stoat, ten bob
Chucking another log on
satanarchist
Road Kill

Icon wrote: 22 Aug 2024, 17:16 Ahem, don’t hit me, but I never ever liked Lucretia. I could happily live without ever hearing it again.
I would really love Will I Dream, War On Drugs, Lights and Floorshow (only on the last day of the tour to let his voice recover afterwards :wink: ) to come back on. Alternatively I stand by my former wish of only new songs. ;D
I like Lucretia, but that bassline is Iconic and starting the song the way is has been does it a disservice.
Husek
Slight Overbomber

satanarchist wrote: 23 Aug 2024, 16:42
Icon wrote: 22 Aug 2024, 17:16 Ahem, don’t hit me, but I never ever liked Lucretia. I could happily live without ever hearing it again.
I like Lucretia, but that bassline is Iconic and starting the song the way is has been does it a disservice.
You know what, I agree with this take, and more over the girls do tour with a Bass, I'd advocate to lucretia being one of the few songs played with a live bass, just like romeo down.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
copper

Marian - just do Possession, already.

Dr. J/Det.Blvd, I Was Wrong, More - can even do without Something Fast

I Will Call You - Kai's parts need more work. They sound disconnected from the whole.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I utterly disagree, I think Kai's new parts give the song a much-needed complexity.

Totally agree over Possession, though. Kai could definitely pull that off on acoustic.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
ruffers
Overbomber

No Marian on a few of this tour's shows. My wish is fulfilled.

Are you watching? :von:
Chucking another log on
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 23 Sep 2024, 16:56 No Marian on a few of this tour's shows. My wish is fulfilled.

Are you watching? :von:
Von wrote: 22 Sep 2024, 22:17 I hear you calling Ruffers
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

I´ve sometimes wondered if certain live arrangements is Eldritch taking the p*ss. That bassline to Lucretia IS iconic, so let´s play an electric guitar chugga-chugga-version of it! The riff to First And Last And Always is arguably one of the most iconic guitar riffs ever, so let´s remove/change it COMPLETELY for years and years in the live set!
I kind of love it, kind of hate it. As with most things Eldritch.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
Husek
Slight Overbomber

TheGoodSon wrote: 25 Sep 2024, 10:15
I´ve sometimes wondered if certain live arrangements is Eldritch taking the p*ss. That bassline to Lucretia IS iconic, so let´s play an electric guitar chugga-chugga-version of it! The riff to First And Last And Always is arguably one of the most iconic guitar riffs ever, so let´s remove/change it COMPLETELY for years and years in the live set!
Logic was played without its riff for years too, Temple essentially didn't have the guitar riff from 98~2003, it was just the synth after the chorus with palm-muted guitars.
Body and Soul/Rock and a Hard Place got slightly different riffs, but they get a pass as it still pretty close to original.

...I actually love Floorshow 2009, but that's probably something as controversial as saying you really like YCBTO.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
mh
Above the Chemist

TheGoodSon wrote: 25 Sep 2024, 10:15
I'm going to be a contrary fecker and say that I love the stripped-down industrial-sounding modern Lucretia. And THAT bassline does kick in halfway through the song anyway. A studio version of it would be a Very Fine Thing indeed, but I just wish they'd play the full song instead of cutting it short at "NOW IT'S DONE".
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

The most recent stated position from Eldritch on this is that they play the songs with hard rock arrangements because that's what they find fun. I sort of get it - the snaky, squirming tension of Lucretia, and the way it erupts into theatrical bombast on the record rather requires the singer to perform 'in character', in a way that doesn't seem to appeal lately. Same with Corrosion. I think they're just playing certain songs in a way that emphasizes the lean, muscular riffage, because it's more fun for him to belt out some vocals over the top, in whatever register, and with whatever level of power and energy he feels he wants to. I see it less as taking the p*ss, and more about trying to decouple the songs from the record entirely.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

We need Under the Gun with Kai on Terri's vocal bits! :von:
The Chancer Corporation
Being645
Wiki Wizard

abridged wrote: 28 Sep 2024, 08:30 We need Under the Gun with Kai on Terri's vocal bits! :von:
That and War On Drugs instead of Lucretia and This Corrosion.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: 27 Sep 2024, 17:38 [

I'm going to be a contrary fecker and say that I love the stripped-down industrial-sounding modern Lucretia. And THAT bassline does kick in halfway through the song anyway. A studio version of it would be a Very Fine Thing indeed, but I just wish they'd play the full song instead of cutting it short at "NOW IT'S DONE".
That seems like the absolute best place to cut it short...
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Kutan

Lucretia is played by them as my old band used to do, guitar instead of bass, so I can't complain. I wouldn't want them to drop "This Corrosion" as they have now reached a version that is simply great without having to employ a choir. What I could do without is "When I'm On Fire". I don't get it why Andrew likes this song so much. I find this quite boring.
Fallon
Amphetamine Filth

Kutan wrote: 02 Oct 2024, 17:58 Lucretia is played by them as my old band used to do, guitar instead of bass, so I can't complain. I wouldn't want them to drop "This Corrosion" as they have now reached a version that is simply great without having to employ a choir. What I could do without is "When I'm On Fire". I don't get it why Andrew likes this song so much. I find this quite boring.
Agreed re WIOF. Feels like tossed-off ideas assembled from the cutting room floor to me. I half expect the song exists simply to justify the wonderful title; there's not much else to it, although I suppose it gives Ben a brief solo.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Wow, that’s surprising to me. WIOF is one of my favorites among the new songs. It’s got a race-you-to-the-finish-line punk rock element that really does it for me. Different strokes, etc.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.