PC Technical Help Needed! - Paint Shop Pro

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Hi All :-)

I am at the end of my own particular "Tether" in relation to a PC problem that is really "Bugging Me" :twisted:

I recently uninstalled the orginal version of Paint Shop Pro that was installed on my Windows 98 SE PC when bought it in 2000. I know its only a small(ish) program but I really needed the "space".

Since I un-installed it I have "lost" a feature that I really miss the use of!

I refer to the "generating preview" in open folders when I single click a "JPG", "BMP" or "GIF" that are stored in those folders. My current settings allow me to see "JEGS" but nothing else. The "OLD" settings allowed me to view "any" picture file type without having to open "Photo" software.

I have tried to "re-install" PSP 3.5, 4.0 4.5 etc numerous times without any success. Hence my "clutching at straws" post here.

Any help to solve this problem would be most appreciated, and there may even be a free weeded "CD" to whoever can solve this mystery.

Knew I'd Made A Mistake.......

Thanks in advance

Andt TG
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Hi Andy. Have you tried looking in Folder Options in the Control Panel?
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Andy TG
Overbomber

snubnoseuk wrote:Hi Andy. Have you tried looking in Folder Options in the Control Panel?
@ Snub :D

I have tried several times to change the "folder options" under the "View" pull down menu and I appear to be unable to get the OS to point to particular file formats

Good suggestion though, I will check the settings again.
This Is M & S S & M
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Zo zen we have successfully eliminated that possibility. It might be worth looking under File Types. I run Windows 2000 so it might be different to 98.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Dan
Overbomber

Do your other image files (.bmp, etc..) still have their correct icon or are they showing as the bogstandard windows "unknown file" icon?
Andy TG
Overbomber

Dan wrote:Do your other image files (.bmp, etc..) still have their correct icon or are they showing as the bogstandard windows "unknown file" icon?
@Dan

I have a strange feeling that as a file EG - picture.bmp is fine but other than that I am not sure.

The "Unknown File" or "Unknown Format" does appear when I try to open "JPG" using MS Photo Viewer.

I know that the orginal PSP (or Something did) allow me to view many different file types.

Another choice suggestion :-)
This Is M & S S & M
Dan
Overbomber

AndyTheGoth wrote:I have a strange feeling that as a file EG - picture.bmp is fine but other than that I am not sure.
It's just that, if the filetype has an icon (other than the default "unknown filetype" windows icon) then that should mean your pc knows what to do with the file. I assume they display when you view them in internet explorer, and I can't see how PSP has any bearing on being able to preview the files when you're just looking at files and folders.

Umm, there must be something among the many options and settings that turns it on or off maybe?
Dan
Overbomber

Erm, maybe I'm being obvious, but you do have "view - as web page" ticked?
mh
Above the Chemist

And try associating image files with Internet Explorer...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Can I just step in here to offer up my tuppenceworth?

http://www.irfanview.com/ is a lovely little picture viewer/converter that I have used for several years. More configurations than you can shake a stick at and very easy to use/integrate with the Windows shell. It's freeware too.
Andy TG
Overbomber

mh wrote:And try associating image files with Internet Explorer...
@ MH

Another great suggestion but I am trying to view "jpegs" whilst NOT online.

I have each file set up as "View As Web Page" - and if I change any settings on "View / Folder Options" I always ask the OS to apply any changes to every folder.

I guess that "something" was un-installed at some point - If I could figure out what that was then I would simply re-install that "Something"

Thanks again
This Is M & S S & M
Andy TG
Overbomber

DerekR wrote:Can I just step in here to offer up my tuppenceworth?

http://www.irfanview.com/ is a lovely little picture viewer/converter that I have used for several years. More configurations than you can shake a stick at and very easy to use/integrate with the Windows shell. It's freeware too.
@ Derek R

Another great suggestion :notworthy:

I tried "Irfanview" a few weeks back - after I had "removed" whatever allowed me to view JPGS.

I am sorry but I could not "get on" with "Irfanview" - its a good program - but I could not get it to work the way I needed it too. - Unless I missed something :eek:
This Is M & S S & M