Tekkie Quesion..

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Anyone...what is an .ape file?

I'm on soulseek browsing and have run across this type file.

Thanks

BP
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Monkey's Audio Lossless Audio Compression Format

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=APE
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Although I haven't a **** clue what that actually means ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dont think I'll be getting any of those then.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Wasn't Monkey in Tales From The Water Margin? Lang Shang Po or something? :roll:

Sorry if I lost the thread. Just thought of monkey that was all. Oh, and the bloke who could run as fast as the wind. He was cool. And probably on drugs as well but I don't think testing was around in 14th century feudal Japan so Rio would have been fine. I suppose.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
elguiri
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Its just a lossless form of music file compression as opposed to e.g MP3 , where you lose some of the sound spectrum and cant get it back once you uncompress the file.So it would make it a good choice for music files as you will always get the original sound , when restored.dont know the compression ratio to original file size though.
"Very Elderly Bastard Groovy"
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

elguiri wrote:Its just a lossless form of music file compression as opposed to e.g MP3 , where you lose some of the sound spectrum and cant get it back once you uncompress the file.So it would make it a good choice for music files as you will always get the original sound , when restored.dont know the compression ratio to original file size though.
Never use the words 'lossless' and 'compression' in the same sentence. Doesn't work....

If it DOES work, the ratio will be 1:1 ;D

But my interest got aroused, so I checked his site...
Gonna try to make a comparison between Monkey and normal MP3 encoding, just to see if Monkey's the new golden egg....

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

Black Planet wrote:Anyone...what is an .ape file?

I'm on soulseek browsing and have run across this type file.

Thanks

BP
Using the internet:

Logging in to online banking:
Display secure and non-secure items?
I f.ing well pressed Log In didn't I?

Doing property searches on primelocation:
Please enter your username and password.
Which one of us is buying, c**t?

Looking something up:
606 Error PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED
Thanks for the explanation, c**t.

Googling for anol:
Did you mean anal ?
SPOT ON MY SUN.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Never use the words 'lossless' and 'compression' in the same sentence. Doesn't work....

Not necessarily: Zip compression usually squashes things to around 50% without any loss of data.

e.g. I've just tested on a .txt file: original size 1MB (1135310 bytes) zipped file size 472K (480581 bytes). 42.3% of original size and no data lost. :P
—Bertrand Russell
Loki

markfiend wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Never use the words 'lossless' and 'compression' in the same sentence. Doesn't work....

Not necessarily: Zip compression usually squashes things to around 50% without any loss of data.

e.g. I've just tested on a .txt file: original size 1MB (1135310 bytes) zipped file size 472K (480581 bytes). 42.3% of original size and no data lost. :P
Geeks. :urff:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Johnny Boy wrote:Geeks. :urff:
Image You're only jealous :wink:
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:

Agree with ya on the TXT file, but that is because there is a lot of info in a TXT file that you can get rid of WITHOUT losing info (spaces, for instance), while with music, you can only try to compress when you have exact the same data on left and right channel...which is very rare. There are always very slight differences, and when you start compressing, you always have data loss, no matter what Monkey or others say...

Now who's calling us geeks again, mmmm? :twisted:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

Same with images/scans, you end up with what they call 'artefacts' ie. pi$h piccys.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Loki

Yes, yes, all very interesting but what was the name of the character who could run as fast as the wind? Going of topic winds me up sooo much ... :innocent: :lol:
James Blast
Banned

Billy Wizz? ;)

I dropped the 'h'.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele