Goth - the making of.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

*hands up*

I'll do the Questionnaire, but i won't bore everyone with my sorry tale (again).
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PM me the questions though please, not a Word doc!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Thanks to Angelchild and Red Sunsets for their answers. Winners all!
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
James Blast
Banned

Nae probs snub sorry for the late delivery.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Angelchild wrote:
Carrie wrote: How I came into Gothworld sounds pretty similar to Carrie,but also what ATG said about an alternative to the masses.
Thank god gothism never reached the masses or else we would see shops in shopping centers selling your basic goth-in-a-minute kit, plastic fangs included, cheap jewelry with bat and skull motives and so-called goth singers on MTV.

Phew, thank goth.
Last edited by zigeunerweisen on 07 Feb 2004, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
zigeunerweisen

snubnoseuk wrote:Thanks everyone, this is all good stuff. Another question is - why black and purple? Apart from it looking good. Is there some sort of statement being made by people who wear these colours?

BTW I mostly wear black, I can't help it.
Black makes fat goth girls look, well, not as fat.

And why are goths so glum? They are poor. Being poor they can't afford much so they own only a pair of black pants and a black shirt and they can wear it for weeks. Noone will notice it's the same two pieces. Besides, because black doesn't get as dirty as other colours the usage of said pieces can be maintained for much longer.

They could do something about the smell though, especially in the summer. Wearing black boots, black pants, black shirt and black long coat under a 32ºC sun makes you in need of soap.
zigeunerweisen

Heartless wrote:Now is there a way of living for goths ... personally I think it's pretty much like the early punk movement: Bored teenagers looking for a light at the end of their sorry little tunnel and continously failing finding it.
Yes
Oh, and never ever in a million lightyears forget the sunglasses at night, long black leather coats, tons of cayal, very weird make up in general and some borderline-syndrome or other psychological malfunctions. That's 75% of the German Goth Scene.
And if you replaced German by Portuguese you would still be right.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Thanks to Gripper for his thoughtful and very useful answers. :D
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Gripper

snubnoseuk wrote:Thanks to Gripper for his thoughtful and very useful answers. :D
No probs, Snub. I enjoyed doing it! Good luck with the essay.

Gripper
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Just to let people know I got 70% for my essay. Many thanks to all who helped, I got a better grade than my last one. :D

Thanks all.
James Blast
Banned

Nice one snub now go get ratar$ed for three days like most students do. :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Red Sunsets wrote:Nice one snub now go get ratar$ed for three days like most students do. :D
And then try skateboarding down the stairs like those next door to my Father-in-law. Clothes optional. Rosary beads de rigeur.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Andy TG
Overbomber

snubnoseuk wrote:Just to let people know I got 70% for my essay. Many thanks to all who helped, I got a better grade than my last one. :D

Thanks all.
@ Snub :-)

Did I miss something? - I appear to have missed the questionnaire :eek:

Well done getting 70% thats Fab!
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

hey i didnt get a questionnaire, i've just realised
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Gripper

Nice one Snubby.
70% is rather cool and groovy. Hope the rest of the course goes well.

I occasionally used to score about that in my student days, but often used to lose 10-15% in the '5% off for every day late' rule. The bastards. Mind you, I was on 'minimum grant' and tuition fees were what a private education bought you. So student life was comparatively soft when today's undergrads are looking the wrong way up the £15k (and more) debt barrel.
I had 6 hours of lectures every week and 3 essays per term. And...err...that's it. Mind you, it used to snow in those days. And an Ian McCulloch-style greatcoat could set you back anything up to 50p in the local Oxfam. No- really, it's true. Some of us were there....

In the words of the rather fine Redskins, Keep on Keepin' On.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
James Blast
Banned

Gripper wrote:I had 6 hours of lectures every week and 3 essays per term. And...err...that's it.
Old Phart!

There were't only 65 of us livin' in our matchbox in't middle t'road. Ya bastids dun't know thee's livin.
Ger a job and coot tha's 'air!
~ Peter Steele
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Gripper wrote:And an Ian McCulloch-style greatcoat could set you back anything up to 50p in the local Oxfam.
Which reminds me, a ham for all reasons:

During that first year, N, S, PS and I became a group, while J and P knocked about with some hipper cats – M1 and M2. M1 liked to think he was Jo Strummer but, coming from Leicester, came across more like Gary Lineker. M2 modelled himself on the lead singer from Echo And The Bunnymen. Green mac. Hair. The lot. He even looked and affected like him. It was reassuring to find someone who was so obviously more screwed up than me.

I splashed out on a donkey jacket to ward of the northern chill. My Left Foot for Prime Minister.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:
Gripper wrote:I had 6 hours of lectures every week and 3 essays per term. And...err...that's it.
Old Phart!

There were't only 65 of us livin' in our matchbox in't middle t'road.
Oh! I used to dream of living in a corridor !
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
James Blast
Banned

Thrash Harry wrote:
Gripper wrote:And an Ian McCulloch-style greatcoat could set you back anything up to 50p in the local Oxfam.
Which reminds me, a ham for all reasons:

During that first year, N, S, PS and I became a group, while J and P knocked about with some hipper cats – M1 and M2. M1 liked to think he was Jo Strummer but, coming from Leicester, came across more like Gary Lineker. M2 modelled himself on the lead singer from Echo And The Bunnymen. Green mac. Hair. The lot. He even looked and affected like him. It was reassuring to find someone who was so obviously more screwed up than me.

I splashed out on a donkey jacket to ward of the northern chill. My Left Foot for Prime Minister.
2:10 am Saturday, 3rd April, 2004
You are well pished Thrash?!
~ Peter Steele
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

AndyTheGoth wrote:@ Snub :-)

Did I miss something? - I appear to have missed the questionnaire :eek:

Well done getting 70% thats Fab!
Thanks. I sent it to you, but don't worry about it mate. :D