march violets- miss amanda jones?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

what happened here then...are we positive this is the march violets? wheres the edge of it? it just sounds like a rocky madonna tune :? :urff:
Dan
Overbomber

I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

EDIT: I googled and apparently it's a Rolling Stones tune the Violets are supposed to have covered. I've never heard of it, although some of my tapes do have several tracks with "?" as the title.

http://www.coversproject.com/artist/March+Violets
Children of Therevolution originally by T Rex
Miss Amanda Jones ? originally by Rolling Stones
Rollin Along originally by 5th Dimension

3 songs I weren't aware they'd covered. (Or maybe if I dig the tapes out some of them might be there, I don't recall them though.)
Last edited by Dan on 17 Apr 2004, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.
ryan

whoops..sorry

the song 'miss amanda jones' on the soundtrack 'some kind of wonderful'

ive just heard it..its quite a clear difference to every other march violet tune ive heard...

i.e- doesnt sound at all like a march violets tune :?
Dan
Overbomber

I found the album on Amazon-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 4?v=glance
It's track 8 on the album.

It gives a release date of 1986. My most recent Violets recording is 1985, and I assume they split up not long after, so I'm guessing it must be one of their last recordings.
Hojyuu-obi

If I remember correctly the Miss Amanda Jones song is played during the closing credits of the movie (i.e. 'Some Kind Of Wonderful' as mentioned above see http://imdb.com/title/tt0094006/ for more info).
The Violets also appear in the movie while playing the song Turn To The Sky in a club during a scene where 2 of the lead characters meet ...

Everything the Violets released in post- Simon and Rosie days sounds different than the early day tunes, especially when compared to MR songs. :D
ryan

ah well...that explains why its so....ugh....i can see why they split up afterwards really :urff:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yup, a shocking track :urff:

its not actually that different in sound to the "turn to the sky" era stuff, its probably for the best that they split soon after that :roll:

http://www.marchviolets.co.uk/discograp ... ations.php
their contribution to the soundtrack to John Hughes' 1986 teen-flick Some Kind Of Wonderful, where they covered the Rolling Stones' "Miss Amanda Jones" (along with one of their own compositions "Turn To The Sky"), appearing alongside The Jesus & Mary Chain, Flesh For Lulu, Furniture and Steven Duffy on the movie's soundtrack album.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

ryan_w_0000 wrote:whoops..sorry

the song 'miss amanda jones' on the soundtrack 'some kind of wonderful'

ive just heard it..its quite a clear difference to every other march violet tune ive heard...

i.e- doesnt sound at all like a march violets tune :?
I have that on cassette, and it's in my car!!! Ryan you have good taste in music. That's an awesome soundtrak and great film too.

How's down under mate? :wink:
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Just to boost my post count

fav trak -- the song that goes..

What have I done today...I go crazy when I'm without you!

Very Very LOUD!!!

:D
biggy

Don't mind it myself . Like Quiff says it's similar to turn to the sky etc .

Fits in well with the film , which is the point of doing a song for a soundtrack .
When band members change/leave the band will obviously sound different but I always quite liked the Cleo era stuff as well as the earlier stuff.
ryan

hmmm..ive just heard 'turn to the sky' :urff:

i think ill stick to snakedance extended thank you very much
Andie
Overbomber

ryan_w_0000 wrote:hmmm..ive just heard 'turn to the sky' :urff:

agreed 8)

Snakedance is undoubtably their best moment...although i still have a soft spot for crow baby
ryan

Burn wrote:
ryan_w_0000 wrote:hmmm..ive just heard 'turn to the sky' :urff:

agreed 8)

Snakedance is undoubtably their best moment...although i still have a soft spot for crow baby
ah yes, crowbaby is slowly getting worn out on my record player 8) :roll:
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

The US Copyright Office website gives a release date of 16 February 1987 for the soundtrack album. Both songs sound more like Blondie than the Violets.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I actually quite enjoy Turn To The Sky. Different band, different time.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Anything after Simon left in early 85 doesn't count as real Violets IMHO.
Spiggy's hat

biggy wrote:Don't mind it myself . Like Quiff says it's similar to turn to the sky etc .

Fits in well with the film , which is the point of doing a song for a soundtrack .
When band members change/leave the band will obviously sound different but I always quite liked the Cleo era stuff as well as the earlier stuff.
Aye, TTTS was ok'sh but IMO Miss Amanda Jones was the worst release under the Violets name.

That said, some of those demos knocking about the web, when the post Simon line up were trying to score a record deal are shocking! The bad rock version of Snake Dance in particular. :eek:
Give me one good reason