Bet!...Bet!.....Betting ends.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

If you bet a fiver on something and the odds are 10/3, how much do you win if you win?
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

you'd get a return of £16.67 plus your original stake back for a total payout of £21.67. that's if the stupid nag wins obviously...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Thanks Richey. Hardly seems worth it. I was thinking of betting on Pompey beating Man U, but it looks like the bookies are hedging.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Isn't 10/3 more commonly known as "Burlington Bertie" 100/30?

Never could understand the logic of that to be honest :?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Christ, if it involves Pompey winning it's not worth it.

And don't even think about boring me with tales of Bungpuss's great wins over Man Utd with Bournemouth and West Ham.

As a neutral and a gambler I wouldn't touch that with a 10-ft pole.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Would you have bet on Pompey beating Blackburn the other week though? I knew that was going to happen. 8)
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Looking at Blackburn's home form going into that game I might have done - if I thought the odds justified it. Instead, my most recent coup was selling West Ham on Betfair at 1.6 to beat Derby. Plenty mug punters jumped aboard and ended up giving me their money. I was a happy man. It almost made up for having to sit through that dross for 90 minutes then write about it ... but only almost.

Favourite bet of the season to date? Rotherham at 4/1 to beat West Ham early in the season, and West Ham at 11/4 to win at Wolves in the cup.

Biggest frustration? Groclin Dyskobolia getting a 0-0 draw with Man City in the UEFA Cup. Had them at 3/1 to win on the night, but the draw put them through on away goals so they defended the last 20 minutes. Not happy.

To be honest I find the lower divisions a better gambling market than the Premier. It's easy to miss a team putting together a strong run of form when it merely moves them from 20th to 13th in Division Three, and surprisingly few people pick up when a "play-off chasing" side hasn't won for two months and is scrapping away in 7th after topping the league at the start of the season.

Depends how much time you want to put into research.
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

talking of betting.......when i went to southampton a few weeks ago i met the bloke from banzai in my friends bar, the bald one that goes BBBBBBBAAAAAAANNNNNZZAIIIII!!!!!!!
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

snubnoseuk wrote:Thanks Richey. Hardly seems worth it. I was thinking of betting on Pompey beating Man U, but it looks like the bookies are hedging.
Look, if you're giving fivers away, I'll have one.
3-1 to us, I reckon. I'd like to say 3-0, but everyone (except Leicester) scores against us these days.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

I can see us being pinned back right from the start. And if we play Sheringham we're dead in the water upfront. Our best hope is to have some speed in attack and go for the break.

So that's Yakubu and Lua-Lua up front. Everyone else on the goal line.
Gripper

Whatever the result, I still think you'll stay up.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Thanks. Who do you think will go down? Wolves for sure.
Gripper

City and Leeds are on my wish-list, but it'll do if either of them join Wolves and Leicester.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

if wolves go down and norwich go up, i'm out of the family's wills again....
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Gripper wrote:City and Leeds are on my wish-list, but it'll do if either of them join Wolves and Leicester.
Absolutely god-damn right, Sir. Is it too late for the scousers to join them? (calm down Shuck, I mean the red ones).
If you were asking my opinion then I would say delete that.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

£22 is £22 :D
Gripper

Grudgingly....teeth clenched....congratulations....

a good day all round, then?
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Congrats. Even if I wouldn't have backed it myself. Quiet weekend on the bookies for me ... just a "buying money" punt on East Stirling to lose against Gretna. OK, so I was risking absurd amounts to add a tenner to the war chest, but betting against a team who've taken 5 points from 32 games isn't really betting as such, is it?

They lost 5-1, in case you were wondering.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Gripper wrote:a good day all round, then?
Kinda spooky, this is the third time I've had a hunch and it's turned out good. Must be the grey matter working in the background.

A couple more wins and we'll be justafine!
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Pompey are playing S*********n on Saturday. The odds on a Pompey win are 8/5 , which sounds crap. Can anyone tell me how you'd win if you put a tenner on it?
Gripper

Almiche V wrote:Can anyone tell me how you'd win if you put a tenner on it?
You'd win if Pompey won, if my understanding of the betting industry is correct. :twisted:

If you wanted to know how much you'd win, I reckon it's £16 + your stake.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Gripper wrote:You'd win if Pompey won, if my understanding of the betting industry is correct. :twisted:

If you wanted to know how much you'd win, I reckon it's £16 + your stake.
Get down on it, Grips.

Thanx. Hmmm, hardly seems worth it. I shall save the money for love.
Al
Road Kill

Work out your betting odds in 2 easy steps:

1. take your bottom number and add it to the top (ie - 8/5 becomes 13/5)

2. Multiply it by you stake (ie - (13/5)*5) = 13

If putting on an accumulator, you just repeat this, with your stake being the amount carried over from the previous answer.

Bettings a mugs game though :innocent: