Quick question on the bible

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I need to find out if the abbreviation (is that the word?) BrB is a book in the bible or not. It's not in the swedish translation, but I suspect it could be from the english. Trying to decipher something that looks like this: BrB 23:16 (editing a book) and it looks like a bible quote to me. I got hold of the King James' version on the net, but couldn't find anything that would correspond to BrB. Perhaps it's a misspelling. Perhaps you good godfearing people know :D Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Yeah it's when Jesus needed a wee and he was talking on Messenger to someone
Only a paand.
christophe
Overbomber

whats the quote? not that I know the bible. :)
Another Shade of You.
The Green Lantern

:lol: Yes, that actually does make sense. I just didn't know he was so much ahead of his time :D
The Green Lantern

christophe wrote:whats the quote? not that I know the bible. :)
That's what I'm trying to find out. I just have this BrB 23:16 and thought it could be a bible quote.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

It looks to me more like a timestamp.. possibly from IRC or, yes, some IM software.

I very much doubt it's biblical, though.
[repeat x40]
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

sure it's not B&B sounds resonable for a room. ensuite?
Goths have feelings too
The Green Lantern

Thank you. I'm leaning towards that it's not biblical as well. Will look into both your suggestions.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

what's the context?
Dan
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:what's the context?
Yeh, what he said. Give us a few more lines of the text.

Did it perhaps look anything like this?

[23:10] *** Now talking in #last_supper
[23:10] *** Topic is 'waiting for Jesus to arrive'
[23:10] *** Set by Matthew on Thu Apr 15 22:44:05
[23:11] <Matthew> can we start yet
[23:11] <Luke> no, not until the lord gets here
[23:11] <Matthew> oh, bugger
[23:14] *** Jesus (thelord@=e5ENFT166W.ipt.aol.com) has joined #last_supper
[23:14] <Jesus> hi, dudes
[23:14] <Matthew> hi Jees. I'm starving
[23:14] *** Jesus changes topic to 'grub's up'
[23:14] <Jesus> tuck in lads
[23:15] * Jesus turns some water into wine
[23:15] <Jesus> anyone for wine
[23:15] <Judas> yeh, I'll have some
[23:15] * Jesus pours Judas a glass of wine
[23:15] <Jesus> i need a slash
[23:16] <Jesus> BRB
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

:notworthy:

damn I just soaked my keyboard with beer
hallucienate
Overbomber

That was rather good :notworthy:
christophe
Overbomber

don't make fun of the good lord.

no just joking. :) :D
Another Shade of You.
The Green Lantern

:lol: Dan, you're going to hell for that .... j/k

Oh, it's a long story and it won't make sense, but to cut a long story short there's this old man on a bus wearing a baseball cap with the abbreviation (if that's the word) BrB 23:16 printed in white on black and I promised I'd try to see if it means something. The book have a sort of a religious/moral/ethical theme going, hence my assumption. The writer didn't know himself, just something that caught the eye in real life I guess. Maybe it actually was something else. We'll probably change it or cut it altogether. It's no big deal. But thanks for the input, and the laugh. :notworthy:
Dan
Overbomber

The Green Lantern wrote::lol: Dan, you're going to hell for that .... j/k
Yes, maybe it was a bit much to say that Jesus uses AOL. :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Serious answer:
The only books with chapter 23 verse 16 are:

Genesis: And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant.

Exodus: And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou hast sown in the field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field

Leviticus: Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.

Numbers: And the LORD met Balaam, and put a word in his mouth, and said, Go again unto Balak, and say thus.

Deuteronomy: He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him.

Joshua: When ye have transgressed the covenant of the LORD your God, which he commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them; then shall the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and ye shall perish quickly from off the good land which he hath given unto you.

1 Samuel: And Jonathan Saul's son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God.

2 Samuel: And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the LORD.

2 Kings: And as Josiah turned himself, he spied the sepulchres that were there in the mount, and sent, and took the bones out of the sepulchres, and burned them upon the altar, and polluted it, according to the word of the LORD which the man of God proclaimed, who proclaimed these words.

1 Chronicles: Of the sons of Gershom, Shebuel was the chief.

2 Chronicles: And Jehoiada made a covenant between him, and between all the people, and between the king, that they should be the LORD's people.

Job: For God maketh my heart soft, and the Almighty troubleth me:

Proverbs: Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things.

Isaiah: Take an harp, go about the city, thou harlot that hast been forgotten; make sweet melody, sing many songs, that thou mayest be remembered.

Jeremiah: Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.

Ezekiel: And as soon as she saw them with her eyes, she doted upon them, and sent messengers unto them into Chaldea.

Matthew: Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

Luke: I will therefore chastise him, and release him.

Acts: And when Paul's sister's son heard of their lying in wait, he went and entered into the castle, and told Paul.

All from the King James Version at the Bible Gateway

None of them look like candidates do they! :lol: Although I like 1 Chronicles.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
cyn

I was acutally a Sunday School teacher for five years.
As far as I know there is no book in the bible that starts with B.
However this does not mean that it could not be one of the books found on the dead sea scrolls that was not put in the bible.
Ever wonder why the bible wasn't alphabetized...
ah well
Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square
Was fashion the reason why they were there?
They disguise it, hypnotize it
Television made you buy it
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

markfiend wrote:Serious answer:
The only books with chapter 23 verse 16 are:

Genesis: And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant.

Exodus: And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou hast sown in the field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field

Leviticus: Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.

Numbers: And the LORD met Balaam, and put a word in his mouth, and said, Go again unto Balak, and say thus.

Deuteronomy: He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him.

Joshua: When ye have transgressed the covenant of the LORD your God, which he commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them; then shall the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and ye shall perish quickly from off the good land which he hath given unto you.

1 Samuel: And Jonathan Saul's son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God.

2 Samuel: And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the LORD.

2 Kings: And as Josiah turned himself, he spied the sepulchres that were there in the mount, and sent, and took the bones out of the sepulchres, and burned them upon the altar, and polluted it, according to the word of the LORD which the man of God proclaimed, who proclaimed these words.

1 Chronicles: Of the sons of Gershom, Shebuel was the chief.

2 Chronicles: And Jehoiada made a covenant between him, and between all the people, and between the king, that they should be the LORD's people.

Job: For God maketh my heart soft, and the Almighty troubleth me:

Proverbs: Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things.

Isaiah: Take an harp, go about the city, thou harlot that hast been forgotten; make sweet melody, sing many songs, that thou mayest be remembered.

Jeremiah: Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.

Ezekiel: And as soon as she saw them with her eyes, she doted upon them, and sent messengers unto them into Chaldea.

Matthew: Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

Luke: I will therefore chastise him, and release him.

Acts: And when Paul's sister's son heard of their lying in wait, he went and entered into the castle, and told Paul.

All from the King James Version at the Bible Gateway

None of them look like candidates do they! :lol: Although I like 1 Chronicles.

You bloody god botherer :lol: :lol:
Only a paand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sexygoth wrote:You bloody god botherer :lol: :lol:
I'd like to think that, if there were a god, he would be quite bothered by me. ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
The Green Lantern

@markfiend. Thank you for your effort, you've been a tremendous help. And thanks for the link. :notworthy:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Dan wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:what's the context?
Yeh, what he said. Give us a few more lines of the text.

Did it perhaps look anything like this?

[23:10] *** Now talking in #last_supper
[23:10] *** Topic is 'waiting for Jesus to arrive'
[23:10] *** Set by Matthew on Thu Apr 15 22:44:05
[23:11] <Matthew> can we start yet
[23:11] <Luke> no, not until the lord gets here
[23:11] <Matthew> oh, bugger
[23:14] *** Jesus (thelord@=e5ENFT166W.ipt.aol.com) has joined #last_supper
[23:14] <Jesus> hi, dudes
[23:14] <Matthew> hi Jees. I'm starving
[23:14] *** Jesus changes topic to 'grub's up'
[23:14] <Jesus> tuck in lads
[23:15] * Jesus turns some water into wine
[23:15] <Jesus> anyone for wine
[23:15] <Judas> yeh, I'll have some
[23:15] * Jesus pours Judas a glass of wine
[23:15] <Jesus> i need a slash
[23:16] <Jesus> BRB
OI!! That was my bloody joke, you Ben Elton you!
Only a paand.
Dan
Overbomber

Sexygoth wrote:OI!! That was my bloody joke, you Ben Elton you!
I thought of the idea before I saw your reply.

You know what they say, 'Great minds think alike'.

:D :D :lol: :lol:
hallucienate
Overbomber

Dan wrote:
Sexygoth wrote:OI!! That was my bloody joke, you Ben Elton you!
I thought of the idea before I saw your reply.

You know what they say, 'Great minds think alike'.

:D :D :lol: :lol:
but in this case it was pure coincidence :wink: