mmmm...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

markfiend wrote:The rest (about having a free hit on the ball after a no-ball :urff: ) is to do with one dayers though.
yeah that's what i meant seeing as that seemed to be the main thrust of the article. oh, and for what it's worth, i think it's a bloody ridiculous idea too!
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

RicheyJames wrote:
markfiend wrote:The rest (about having a free hit on the ball after a no-ball :urff: ) is to do with one dayers though.
yeah that's what i meant seeing as that seemed to be the main thrust of the article. oh, and for what it's worth, i think it's a bloody ridiculous idea too!
...As is the short match slogathon. Which is where we came in. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

...except i maintian that the slogfest does have some merits. it's a bloody good laugh but it's not cricket.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Limited overs cricket is nigh-on essential for people with jobs who want to watch a cricket match.

I can't take 4/5 days off to laze around in the sun and drink moderate quantities of booze - certainly not more than once a summer.

But I can spend a Sunday afternoon doing precisely that. Thus limited overs cricket works.

Still, I'd watch most forms of the game when possible. And most forms of most other games too. Except horsey things.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

andymackem wrote:Limited overs cricket is nigh-on essential for people with jobs who want to watch a cricket match.

I can't take 4/5 days off to laze around in the sun and drink moderate quantities of booze - certainly not more than once a summer.

But I can spend a Sunday afternoon doing precisely that. Thus limited overs cricket works.

Still, I'd watch most forms of the game when possible. And most forms of most other games too. Except horsey things.
tosh and piffle sir! few,if any, of us can afford the time to watch every ball of a test but any true student of the game can appreciate both a sublime individual performance in the context of a match and the fact that all fifteen sessions of a truly great test (and i'm including that which has just graced lords) can be enjoyed in and of themselves.

although i still maintain that the fifty, forty and even twenty over forms of the game have their place. but that place is somewhere below the true splendour of the full test.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Why do I think Empire Down is fitting at this moment?
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

RicheyJames wrote:
andymackem wrote:Limited overs cricket is nigh-on essential for people with jobs who want to watch a cricket match.

tosh and piffle sir! few,if any, of us can afford the time to watch every ball of a test but any true student of the game can appreciate both a sublime individual performance in the context of a match and the fact that all fifteen sessions of a truly great test (and i'm including that which has just graced lords) can be enjoyed in and of themselves.

although i still maintain that the fifty, forty and even twenty over forms of the game have their place. but that place is somewhere below the true splendour of the full test.
Aren't we basically agreeing with one another, but trying to make it look like an argument?
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

andymackem wrote:Aren't we basically agreeing with one another, but trying to make it look like an argument?
yes. but it's such fun isn't it?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

andymackem wrote: Aren't we basically agreeing with one another, but trying to make it look like an argument?
Do you see what I've got to put up with? :lol: :lol:

Impossible......... :lol:
Only a paand.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Sexygoth wrote:
andymackem wrote: Aren't we basically agreeing with one another, but trying to make it look like an argument?
Do you see what I've got to put up with? :lol: :lol:

Impossible......... :lol:
No, I see what you choose to put up with.

Insane ........ :lol: