Warning about the new Zonealarm Update

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Don't install it if you are on Win2000/XP!

It causes the system to seize up after a few mins and then needs to be rebooted. Stick with the old version 4.5 until they've sorted it out.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
elguiri
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

If only you had mentioned it 2 days earlier , Jesus it felt like i had re installed Windows Millenium..........more lockups in 2 days than 8 months on XP!
"Very Elderly Bastard Groovy"
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

so thats why my local "development" webserver stopped working! :urff:

pile of sh*te!

everything seemed ok, the pc was stable and everything, but then when i tried to look at any webpages running of my localhost server, all the images, embedded flash files and external javascript files failed to load :o :roll:

uninstalled ZA v5 and they were fine again. re-installed ZA v5 and it broke it again.

pish.

so, i currently have no firewall installed as i cannot find a copy of ZA v4.5 to install... stoopid me did a fresh install, not un upgrade so i have nothing to roll back to :urff:

anyone got a link to download v4.5? :?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Cheers Cellthree... id popped it on my desktop but not actually installed ity yet!

:)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
hallucienate
Overbomber

I've got my own dedicated machine for a firewall, mailserver etc. works a charm :innocent:
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Thanks C3--I'd had a reminder for the update a couple of days ago but was luckily too lazy at the time to download it.
hallucienate
Overbomber

hallucienate wrote:I've got my own dedicated machine for a firewall, mailserver etc. works a charm :innocent:
And while we're on the topic, my boss just said he'd pay for me to have a wireless internet connection to my house

woo and hoo :!:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Hey C3, have you heard any news about the update yet?
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Nothing new yet...

Seems that it only seems to be affecting WinXP though.

Looks as though Win9x and ME are ok.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
DomConway
Filth

The version currently on their download page seems to work OK for me on XP... Surely they would've fixed such a major problem as this ASAP? Or is the problem just with the update and not the full download version which I've got?
the only thing to fear is fear itself
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

DomConway wrote:The version currently on their download page seems to work OK for me on XP... Surely they would've fixed such a major problem as this ASAP? Or is the problem just with the update and not the full download version which I've got?
You're one of the lucky ones then!

The current Zone Alarm release is version 5.0.590.015. The update file you download is the full version. You just have a choice to upgrade over a previous version or uninstall the previous version and install the new one clean. If you do start getting problems, then unstall Ver 5 and reinstall ver 4.5.594.000.

As for them not updating it to sort out the problems, I remember there was a problem with a previous version that caused problem with Win9x/ME a couple of years back. It took them 3 months to sort that one out.

It's possible you're not running any software that is causing Zone Alarm to seize up your PC. Seems that various McAfee applications are doing it. In my case Soulseek caused it to seize up and it seems other file sharing programs are causing crashes as well.

The current FAQ has the information on it:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/s ... alFAQs.jsp

Current Free version and older versions can be downloaded from:
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/i ... story.html
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

I PASSED
Only a paand.
DomConway
Filth

3 months to fix it - that's shocking! I'm running it on a brand spanking new machine that I haven't even got round to installing SoulSeek on yet, maybe I'll downgrade my ZA before I do that then...
the only thing to fear is fear itself
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

if you want to try some alternatives:

Outpost Firewall - http://www.agnitum.com/download/

I've used this before and it is very good, but did crash a lot. I was using their first release version though so hopefully they put some updates into it by now. It has all the features that most of the Firewalls you'd have to pay for have.

Sygate Personal Firewall - http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

This is pretty good, but more comlicated to use than Zone Alarm. Apart from that, it does the job!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

There's a new update available now y'all.

So far so good 8)
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

snubnoseuk wrote:There's a new update available now y'all.

So far so good 8)

Version 5.0.590.043

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1 ... 90_043.exe

I'm gonna give it a go in a bit...
24.24.2.489 Deceased
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

...Seems to be working ok. Had it in for 24hrs and no problems yet!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Seems to be causing some sort of issues with Soulseek. Can't see other peoples userfiles. I'm gonna have to have a proper look at this...
24.24.2.489 Deceased
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Ok, given up with the new version. Seems to have issues with Soulseek and stuff.

I'm now using Sygate Personal Firewall instead. This works just as well and there is no problem with Soulseek!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Yep. ZA freezes my 'puter up. Bye bye baby.
Debaser
Overbomber

HO HUM......if only Ness would read stuff like this.....

Been offline now fer a couple of days, seems that it might be the ZA causing it but old 'FidleFingers Gaz' might not have helped by trying to solve the problem himself!

Writing and reading from school is a 'mare due to the nannyNet

be back soon folks.

Love Ness
x
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else