England v France

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Red Sunsets wrote:
Padstar wrote:
Red Sunsets wrote:you still got beat, Paddy :P
True, but not by the Pharoe Islands.... ;)

Paddy.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
did scotland lose to egypt as well :twisted:

at the risk of stating the obvious

http://www.sirc.org/publik/fvtheory.html#_VPID_25 is a great read
Goths have feelings too
James Blast
Banned

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Just back to the match for a moment... as heartbreaking as the result was old (sorry, young) Mr Light was very happy the day after as I had Lampard as first scorer & 2-1 to France! 135-1!!!!!

Obviously wasn't thinking of that when the thieving scouse plank Gerrard decided to do that thing he did but hey, every cloud etc etc. :D
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
James Blast
Banned

Larsson!

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Red Sunsets wrote:Larsson!
Off to a flyer!!!!!

My other half is Danish... shes furious ;)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
James Blast
Banned

Padstar wrote:My other half is Danish... shes furious ;)

Paddy.
I always manage to upset someone, without even trying.
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

Gary Lineker, Winston Churchill, Maggie Thatcher, vos garçons a pris
un enfer d'un battement !
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

AVEZ pris
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
James Blast
Banned

:oops:
Gary Lineker, Winston Churchill, Maggie Thatcher, vos garçons avez pris un enfer d'un battement!
~ Peter Steele
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Nazareth wrote:Less of the British please! Its the English who have the worst behaviour abroad.
Yes, it's good of the Scots to keep their hooliganism for their own domestic encounters. I seem to recall when I was in Glasgow being told that on the night of an Old Firm game Monklands Hospital would have the busiest casualty department in Europe.

But they are the best fans in the world, lest we forget.

While I'm on the subject of hooliganism and football-related disorder, what about the Serbs? IIRC the fans of Crvena Zvedza Beograd are intent on upholding the memory of the charming Mr Arkan. This might make for an "interesting" atmosphere at their games. In addition, the Balkans and much of the former USSR are notorious for racial abuse of black players.

Then we have the Dutch - try inserting yourself into the PSV-Ajax-Feyenoord rivalries. We don't pay attention to that though, because they are "colourful" and wear orange so they must be alright. Just ask that policeman who was battered into a coma in Lens when Holland played Germany.

Turkey? Another well-known hotbed of footballing tolerance. Somewhere in my extensive collection of ancient football-related material I've a detailed account of Greek football hooliganism from the early 1960s (written in appropriately patronising tones, it should be noted).

And don't even start on Latin America: El Salvador v Honduras, anyone?

But of course, it's only the English who cause football-related trouble ... and make any sort of effort to deal with this rather than point the finger at someone else.

Rant over ....
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Anton Albrecht
Road Kill

Red Sunsets wrote:Gary Lineker, Winston Churchill, Maggie Thatcher, vos garçons a pris
un enfer d'un battement !
:?: :?: :?:
Hojyuu-obi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

emilystrange wrote:AVEZ pris
Don't want to nitpick but it should be: ONT pris ...
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
James Blast
Banned

andymackem wrote:Yes, it's good of the Scots to keep their hooliganism for their own domestic encounters. I seem to recall when I was in Glasgow being told that on the night of an Old Firm game Monklands Hospital would have the busiest casualty department in Europe.
Monklands Hospital is about 15-18 miles outside Glasgow.
The Buckfast Zone, they are always chibbing each other.
~ Peter Steele
Nazareth
Amphetamine Filth

andymackem wrote:

Yes, it's good of the Scots to keep their hooliganism for their own domestic encounters. I seem to recall when I was in Glasgow being told that on the night of an Old Firm game Monklands Hospital would have the busiest casualty department in Europe.
Well that is the difference, the scottish fans are one of the best in the world, when they go abroad they usually behave well. The rangers-celtic thing, well i am continually repulsed by it. But you have also got to bear in mind that there is a lot of ireland in glasgow.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
emilystrange wrote:AVEZ pris
Don't want to nitpick but it should be: ONT pris ...
Avoir: to have

J'ai
Tu as
Il a
Elle a
Nous avons
Vous avez
Ils ont

The second French verb English first year high school students learn to conjugate. The first being etre: to be.

Je suis
Tu es
Il est
Elle est
Nous sommes
Vous etes
Ils sont

Britain. Doing its bit to promote European integration. :roll:
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Go to sleep now, Francis.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Bloody hell Thrash. I can't even speak English properly!!!
Only a paand.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

andymackem wrote:Then we have the Dutch - try inserting yourself into the PSV-Ajax-Feyenoord rivalries. We don't pay attention to that though, because they are "colourful" and wear orange so they must be alright. Just ask that policeman who was battered into a coma in Lens when Holland played Germany.
Don't think the Dutch team played the Germans at the 1998 World Cup tournament. Think it was Yugoslavia. Not to say that there isn't a problem with hooliganism when it concerns Dutch teams. However, it seldom spills over to the national team. Still, last April there were some nasty scenes at the Young Ajax - Young Feyenoord match. Clubs were fined and Ajax stepped away from using the supplementary stadium they were using for this. The trainer Ronald Koeman also publically apologised for the behaviour of the fans.

The unfortunate fact remains the it is mostly the English fans who cause problems even now - although I suspect they have little to nothing to do with the game itself.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Nazareth wrote:
andymackem wrote:

Well that is the difference, the scottish fans are one of the best in the world, when they go abroad they usually behave well. The rangers-celtic thing, well i am continually repulsed by it. But you have also got to bear in mind that there is a lot of ireland in glasgow.
So all Scots support St Mirren and Albion Rovers apart from the Scottish squad, do they? And the Old Firm's quadrenniel outpouring of hatred is simply an Irish dispute shifted a few miles east? This is the kind of woolly, one-size-fits-all thinking that ensures anyone from England wearing a football shirt is treated with wary suspicion whenever they cross the channel. Can I get away with saying that I'm constantly repulsed by English fans' behaviour abroad, but shrug and say there's a lot of people from Essex over there? Blame some other bunch of c**t?

Karst: quite right about the France 1998 game. I stand corrected. :oops: But it does underscore my point that hooliganism is not, and should not be seen as an exclusively English problem - it is as widespread as football.

RS: I've had the pleasure of work experience in Airdrie. The casualty department looked like one of the more desirable venues in town, to be fair. Horrid place, and Coatbridge looked no better. I scuttled happily back to Glasgow at the first opportunity, and started looking for jobs down south!

One other point that hasn't yet been raised is the role the English media plays in stoking the hooligan fires. First of all, it would be a fantastic story if England were hoyed out of the Euros because of their fans. The press could fill pages on it: outrage at being told what to do by Europe; hand-wringing at the state of young Englishmen abroad; defiance and reports of provocation; moaning that everyone else is just as bad (hey, I just wrote that thesis myself!); self-worshipping accounts of the violence with good close-ups of the baton charges and the meetings of fist and face. It's great stuff and it sells papers by the bucketload.

So, every scuffle become a fight, every fight a riot and suddenly every Englishman on the continent is swept up into an orgy of destruction and violence. Meanwhile our pressmen and TV crews are there to record every juicy detail. And if it doesn't happen "naturally", they will start to distort things.

Don't believe me? In 2000 I went to Charleroi to see England beat Germany. You may recall TV footage of the town square, and the ensuing riot. Watch it closely, and you'll see the same cafe table complete a 360-degree swing round after being hurled into the fray. The footage was taken from four fixed CCTV cameras in each corner of the square, and spliced together to make a short skirmish resemble a protracted brawl.

Reports as we were travelling to the game led us to expect a war zone. On arrival in the town we mingled happily in bars, drinking with German fans, chanting and singing in rowdy but hardly aggressive fashion. This was after the alleged riot, when you might have expected things to be a bit more tense.

After the match there was a problem with the trains back to Brussels. While we waited, on a hot, crowded and poorly ventilated old train British press crews on the platform did everything they could to persuade us that we were being badly treated by the Belgians and we should "stand up for ourselves". Thankfully no-one took them up on that offer, but it was obvious where the next day's headlines might have come from.

I'm guessing that other countries' media don't make such deliberate efforts to present their nations in such a poor light, which contributes to the idea of the English disease.

It's sad that this always happens, and it's sadder when I start reading about England fans being urged not to travel away (Macedonia, Turkey) or seeing supposedly intelligent comment pieces urging that we don't get involved in competitive sport any more. Personally I've watched a fair amount of football on the continent, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. A shared love of the game is a great way of overcoming a language barrier, as I found last week discussing the Euros with various Russians I met on my travels. Don't destroy that because of some other arseholes who can't behave themselves.
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

once again a beautifully written defence of the beautiful game and riposte to those who aim to tar us all with a very large brush to justify their own lack of understanding. :notworthy:

your talents are clearly wasted on whatever two-bit local rag it is that's currently (under-)utilising your talents. have you ever considered contributing to when saturday comes? i think you'd be right at home there...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

@ Andy

Nice, that's exactly the point is was making on the other thread :notworthy: :notworthy:

if you have time, read the link i put up earlier in this thread, it considers not just the role of the media..but also socio-politics and all that s**t. great read, takes a while

btw - I ALSO PASSED ;D
Goths have feelings too
Nazareth
Amphetamine Filth

andymackem wrote:
So all Scots support St Mirren and Albion Rovers apart from the Scottish squad, do they? And the Old Firm's quadrenniel outpouring of hatred is simply an Irish dispute shifted a few miles east? This is the kind of woolly, one-size-fits-all thinking that ensures anyone from England wearing a football shirt is treated with wary suspicion whenever they cross the channel. Can I get away with saying that I'm constantly repulsed by English fans' behaviour abroad, but shrug and say there's a lot of people from Essex over there? Blame some other bunch of ****?

RS: I've had the pleasure of work experience in Airdrie. The casualty department looked like one of the more desirable venues in town, to be fair. Horrid place, and Coatbridge looked no better. I scuttled happily back to Glasgow at the first opportunity, and started looking for jobs down south!
Well i don't support either of the old firm, but they do seem to attack each other rather than fans from other countries. They will be leaving us soon to set up a mini-european league hopefully. Noone would be wary seeing a fan with a scottish shirt on, but they would maybe be wary seeing a fan with an old firm shirt on. Everyone realises that the hooligan element is a small minority, the english do have a bad reputation for it, but so do other countries.

I agree with you about coatbridge, it is a dump...but you cant really judge scotland by what you see in glasgow and its surrounding areas. Everything you see there is the worst it gets in scotland.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Nazareth wrote:
Well i don't support either of the old firm, but they do seem to attack each other rather than fans from other countries. They will be leaving us soon to set up a mini-european league hopefully. Noone would be wary seeing a fan with a scottish shirt on, but they would maybe be wary seeing a fan with an old firm shirt on. Everyone realises that the hooligan element is a small minority, the english do have a bad reputation for it, but so do other countries.

I agree with you about coatbridge, it is a dump...but you cant really judge scotland by what you see in glasgow and its surrounding areas. Everything you see there is the worst it gets in scotland.
Except maybe an England fan :lol:

Don't get me wrong about Scotland - I had a terrific year studying in Glasgow and have a lot of affection for the place. Always thoroughly enjoyed the city and encountered the same amount of trouble there as I do everywhere else I've lived: next to none. The main reason I headed back down south was an unnecessarily clingy girlfriend who needed a fairly drastic hint. Moving to Devon seemed to make my point for me :oops:

Some time I'd love to get up North for a few weeks and clowly pickle myself in single malts before falling off a mountain somewhere ... if I ever get time and money in the same place again!
Nazareth
Amphetamine Filth

i shared a flat with a guy who wore an england shirt, apart from being an attention seeker and slightly crazy, he was fine!

Sorry to hear you had to leave us like that!