attack of the clone

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

attack of the clone

good thing, we need progress at all costs
83%
bad thing, what would god think?
8%
too serious a subject for me matey boy
8%

Total votes: 12
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

:? not too keen meself
Goths have feelings too
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I think it is mainly a good thing but it will need to be regulated. How? I dunno. I think this kind of thing is important to help find cures for things like cancer, HIV etc... I know I would support cloning if I was terminally ill. I do understand the arguments against though and there are some very valid points, but I think this is the only way forward....scary though innit? It's the kind of thing you read about in 70's sci-fi comics and you think "nah, that'll never happen!"
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

My votes in & I agree with everything Bride said. Spot on.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Dave R
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

growing up reading ANY sci-fi around, i kind of developed the attitude "if you can imagine it, write about it, talk about it - someone, somewhere has DONE IT"

why even question the what ifs...we should be worried more about the "Who is????"

paranoid, moi?

The truth is out there..........diddle de dee de dee de dee, diddle de dee de dee de deee....

:wink:
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

The jury is still out on that one! It's a good idea on one level but not on another!!! I really don't know, but God has feck all to do with my answer!!!!!
Only a paand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Good thing. People were asking the same questions about in-vitro fertilisation ("test-tube" babies) twenty-odd years ago. Now it's every-day and common-place.

The "against God" brigade annoy me. It's a case of neo-Luddite behaviour as far as I'm concerned; it's the sort of attitude that stops evolutionary biology being taught in American schools. I want to see just how committed these people are to their premise: "Oh I'm sorry, Doctor, I can't have antibiotics for my septicaemia because medical research is against God's Will." *

It's pathetic. People like this would have us still living in the Dark Ages. I fail to see how any technology in and of itself can be moral or immoral; it is solely the uses to which this technology is put about which we should make ethical judgements.

As an aside, if these people are so sure that cloning is immoral, what is their opinion on identical twins?

[/rant]

*To be fair, one example: Jehova's Witnesses are supposed to refuse blood transfusions, but I suspect it's a rule more honoured in the breach than in the observance. [/cynic]
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Neutral thing. But it will happen. The technology exists, or can be developed. Somebody will do it, deliberately or as an unintended side-effect; with approval or without.

It always amuses me to think of what current health & safety-related handwringing would do if the car was invented today:

"Look! It's brilliant! It can travel at up to 120mph, and carry four or five people!"

"But how will we stop it crashing?"

"Well, how about we paint a white line down the middle of the road? And maybe tell people not to drive it as fast as we are boasting it can go. That should cover it?"

"And when people want to go in different directions?"

"That's fine. They can cross the white lines that are keeping them apart. And we'll shine some lights to tell them when. White lines and red lights ... it's totally safe."

"Hmmmm. Not sure this going to be safe. Can't we just stick with walking and riding horses?"

"Well, you can take 60% of the fuel costs in tax ... and charge another £150 a year from every car-owner. And you can prop up the insurance industry at the same time ... and tax them! All for a few tins of white paint and a flashing light!"

"OK, that sounds much safer. Let's do it!".

Or maybe I'm too cynical ...
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Dave R
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Mackem Sir, you are a Comedy GOD!!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
_emma_
Overbomber

Will it ever be possible to clone a human being? If it will, I want a clone of :von: in my bedroom, please! :P But not just the looks and the talent, no, I want it all, with all the things that happened and all the cares lost in the drift. Now, when will THAT be possible? Oh well, us cats live more than once so maybe, someday...
Ooops. I should've chosen the third option methinks.
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

But you have touched on an important point Emma- that thankfully we are all more than just the sum of our genes and so a lot of the scare stories about cloning really are just stories.

As for those who wish to cling to medieval superstitions, that is of course their right and they may choose if they wish not to benefit from scientific research. But they should never be allowed to dictate to the rest of us.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

straylight wrote:As for those who wish to cling to medieval superstitions, that is of course their right and they may choose if they wish not to benefit from scientific research. But they should never be allowed to dictate to the rest of us
Aye and there's the rub. Because their mediaeval superstitions dictate that a certain kind of research is "against God" then they feel completely justified in trying to stop the rest of us benefitting from it as well. :evil: Image

Edit for spelling
Last edited by markfiend on 17 Jun 2004, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Lynchfanatic
Fire Walking Owl

:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: @ andymackem :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
myspace.com/lynchfanatic
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: Image
My feelings exactly, although as a good humanist I really shouldn't.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

On the cloning debate, a few months back there was a story about the possibility of cloning racehorses.

The horse-racing and betting industries were appalled at the idea, arguing that if you have a field of 10 Red Rums you'd never be able to pick a winner.

No-one seemed to think that sticking 10 different jockeys on the back would have any bearing on the race. Arguably it would improve the sport because it would become a test for the rider to get the best from identical horses (similar to the reasons why Formula Ford motor racing is more interesting than F1). On the other hand, how about 10 Frankie Dettoris riding 10 Red Rums? I think I'll back the hare!

One thing a cloning programme might do is clear up the whole nature/nurture argument more effectively. Could be interesting.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
_emma_
Overbomber

straylight wrote:But you have touched on an important point Emma- that thankfully we are all more than just the sum of our genes and so a lot of the scare stories about cloning really are just stories.
That's right. I just can't understand what's the "against God's will" part that some people see in it. Even if it was possible to clone people, each clone would have different experiences that would make them different people in the end. And after all, creating brand new, totally individual human beings seems an ability much more impressive and God-like. This powerful, mysteriuos ability we've had ever since the beghining of mankind, so what's all the fuss about. :lol: