What are the English good at?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

Sexual deviancy under a facade of propriety.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Black Horizon wrote:
flowersdie wrote:Blaming foreigners, in my experience.
Asylum Seekers can F*CK OFF!!!
The English are good at a wonderfully compassionate comments such as this. :roll:

Undoubtedly there are a few asylum seekers who are here thinking that Britain is a soft touch. However the vast majority are here fleeing from persecution and torture in their home countries. I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end BH.

The press (especially the Daily Mail) said the same things in the 1930s about Jewish refugees from the Nazis as they are saying now about asylum seekers. And look what happened then.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Black Horizon wrote:
flowersdie wrote:Blaming foreigners, in my experience.
Asylum Seekers can F*CK OFF!!!
The English are good at a wonderfully compassionate comments such as this. :roll:

Undoubtedly there are a few asylum seekers who are here thinking that Britain is a soft touch. However the vast majority are here fleeing from persecution and torture in their home countries. I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end BH.

The press (especially the Daily Mail) said the same things in the 1930s about Jewish refugees from the Nazis as they are saying now about asylum seekers. And look what happened then.
Thanks Mark. I was sort of hoping this was a cumbersome piece of irony from BH but it's never easy to tell on line.

I think a large part of the problem remains lack of information. I'd be interested in where you get your "vast majority" from, for example. I don't doubt you, but there is a real shortage of verifiable fact available around this issue, which clouds the debate.

A couple of queries for our Daily Mail reading chums: which country takes in the most refugees in Europe? And which worldwide? (usual caveats regarding availability of information apply, of course).
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

andymackem wrote: A couple of queries for our Daily Mail reading chums: which country takes in the most refugees in Europe? And which worldwide? (usual caveats regarding availability of information apply, of course).
i suspect "our Daily Mail reading chums" wouldn't know this sort of information, due to it not being the sort of thing that gets published in their morning toilet paper.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

andymackem wrote:I'd be interested in where you get your "vast majority" from, for example.
Oops. Correct that to "I would imagine that the vast majority..." etc. :lol:

Certainly every asylum seeker to whom Mrs markfiend has spoken (there are quite a large number of them studying at the college where she teaches) has appalling stories from the countries they have come from. Most of them want to go home but are simply terrified that they will be killed if they do.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

This thread is dead
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well pardon me for having an opinion.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
andymackem wrote:I'd be interested in where you get your "vast majority" from, for example.
Oops. Correct that to "I would imagine that the vast majority..." etc. :lol:

Certainly every asylum seeker to whom Mrs markfiend has spoken (there are quite a large number of them studying at the college where she teaches) has appalling stories from the countries they have come from. Most of them want to go home but are simply terrified that they will be killed if they do.
That largely matches my (fairly limited) experience. A few stories with the refugee council in Hounslow gave me a bit of an insight. Ironically we got the tip off about that place from an outraged little-Englander who was appalled that "taxpayers' money" was being "given" to these foreigners. So I went along and did a few pieces with the management about who they were dealing with and why and we ended up with a broadly supportive feature. Then we had a week of orchestrated complaints that the paper was "betraying the community" and "cared more about greedy pakis"!

Sometimes people ask me why I gave up news reporting and scuttled off to the sports desk :roll:
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

Light hearted messin' turns into another liberal bleat in which posts clamour over each other for which can give the wettest, most pc, right-est on opinions supplemented by depressingly predictable and mundane "real-life" insights.

The thread died.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well I'm sorry if people being killed seems to you to be a "liberal bleat".
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Tuscan Chimaera wrote:Light hearted messin' turns into another liberal bleat in which posts clamour over each other for which can give the wettest, most pc, right-est on opinions supplemented by depressingly predictable and mundane "real-life" insights.

The thread died.
Don't patronise me. Thanks. :kiss:
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

karin wrote:It's probably just me but I rarely have the vaguest idea what Thrash is talkin about.
All you have to do is ask. I'm really a nice person. Allegedly.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Irony

A friend of mine reckons we have the best sense of humour in the world. That's all us Brits.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

andymackem wrote:
Tuscan Chimaera wrote:Light hearted messin' turns into another liberal bleat in which posts clamour over each other for which can give the wettest, most pc, right-est on opinions supplemented by depressingly predictable and mundane "real-life" insights.

The thread died.
Don't patronise me. Thanks. :kiss:
You make me laugh!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

and with that. he was gone

as an outsider, s**t stirring at all levels, the brits are good at that :P
Goths have feelings too
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

..oh and thinking they're smarter than they actually are. yes you TC :twisted:
Goths have feelings too