Euro 2004 predictions

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Way?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Padstar wrote:Best of luck to Greece.... but i cant think they will have enough to pull of an upset.

Paddy.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Im English.... what the F00k do i know about football!

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
dead stars
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

andymackem wrote:
dead inside wrote:
andymackem wrote: Portugal? Past it. If they weren't hosting they'd be home by now.
Oh, come on, you're not being fair.
(Yes, Portuguese here. Nevertheless, it was hard enough to qualify, I give you that.)
I'm being perfectly fair ... the so-called "Golden Generation" is past its sell-by date, too many players are underperforming and they seem short of useful replacements.

Luckily, as I said before, England are natural born quarter-finalists, so you'll be alright tonight. Not good enough to win it, though. France, Czechs, Holland are all better.
Well, after today, what can I say without sounding "I told you so"?
Spain's gone, England's gone, Germany's gone, even France is gone. Basically all the favourites.
That's the beauty of football. If we were to know the results beforehand it wouldn't be this intriguing.
dead stars

But trying my best to make a fool of myself, I'd advance that Portugal will manage to win the next game (Holland or Sweden). After that the nervousness may ruin the team. And still, it may not.
Our team has severe ups and downs - big ups and deep downs - and has become so umpredictable one truly cannopt bet on anything. The word here is "when they really want it, they do it". That's all we have seen.
If only Portugal would always play like they did with Spain... But they didn't play as good with England, and no one really knows why. It's an umpredictable team. Count on the umpredictable.
I am, myself, bewildered at the brilliancy they can come up with sometimes - seems out of nowhere.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

dead inside wrote:
andymackem wrote:
dead inside wrote: Oh, come on, you're not being fair.
(Yes, Portuguese here. Nevertheless, it was hard enough to qualify, I give you that.)
I'm being perfectly fair ... the so-called "Golden Generation" is past its sell-by date, too many players are underperforming and they seem short of useful replacements.

Luckily, as I said before, England are natural born quarter-finalists, so you'll be alright tonight. Not good enough to win it, though. France, Czechs, Holland are all better.
Well, after today, what can I say without sounding "I told you so"?
Spain's gone, England's gone, Germany's gone, even France is gone. Basically all the favourites.
That's the beauty of football. If we were to know the results beforehand it wouldn't be this intriguing.
Apart from France going out (which was a total surprise to me, I confess), why has anything changed? As I said, England are natural quarter-finalists (and guess what, they lost in the quarter finals). Holland and Czech Republic are still better than Portugal, and still more likely to win, IMHO.

I was very disappointed with the lack of chances for Portugal, given they had 87 minutes to throw everything at a fairly ordinary English side. A better defensive unit (maybe even a Greek one :wink: ) could shut them out, and I don't think home advantage can overcome a struggle to score goals.

It's not the first time we've seen this either. In the second half against a poor, ten-man Russian side they looked second best, then in the first half against Spain they looked to be some way short of top gear. I genuinely don't think this is a champion side, but best of luck for the rest of the tournament.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
dead stars

And I forgot to mention Italy! :wink:
andymackem wrote: Apart from France going out (which was a total surprise to me, I confess), why has anything changed? As I said, England are natural quarter-finalists (and guess what, they lost in the quarter finals). Holland and Czech Republic are still better than Portugal, and still more likely to win, IMHO.
I still don't believe very much in Czech Republic. I may be wrong. But it looks to me one man show, and it's Nedved. (And Poborski, who has playd in Portugal (Benfica) for many years.)

As for Holland, yes, I am afraid of Holland. It's another tricky and umpredictable team with a very messy (confusing) kind of playing, and that resembles Portugal a lot. Both teams can make each other's hell. I predict it will be another one of those intense highly emotional game of nerves.
A lot more suffering, I mean. Now isn't that nice that you English are rid of it by now? :lol:

andymackem wrote: I was very disappointed with the lack of chances for Portugal, given they had 87 minutes to throw everything at a fairly ordinary English side.
Agreed! It was a shame it had to go all the way to penalties. And today's Sweden/Holand was also very disppointing. It's not a good way to solve a match. Might as well toss a coin and see where it lands. Very unfair.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Agree entirely about penalties. Since there are rest days, why can't we have replays?

Surely in the 21st century it's not impossible to arrange a football match at two days notice, especially in the middle of a football tournament?

Yes, players would be more tired, but that's an extra incentive to pull their fingers out and win it first time through instead of defending slender leads for almost the whole game. The prospect of a replay should make for fewer conservative tactical decisions.

The consolation for the English (apart from the demise of Germany and France :lol:) is that it's a fascinating tournament, and a difficult one to predict. I've not placed a bet yet - I'm confident of my opinions, but not confident enough to risk money on it!
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
randdebiel²

euh, dead inside, for the most part I agree, but the czechs a one man show? :eek:
when you see what their b-team is capable of? to me it seems the trainer has an answer to any type of football :o
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Czech's look lethal. But I'd say the Dutch have a good chance against the Portuguese. Certainly after winnen the penalty shoot-out - does wonders for the team spirit.
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

Reflections on large sporting tournaments

You spend weeks if not months looking forward to them, following the gossip, watching the trailers, keeping an eye on form.

Then they come and you find the games a bit too long and often somewhat boring.

Then your team loses and within half an hour the months-long process comes to an end. No counselling, no left overs, not even memories worth taking away for future delectation.

More fun to be a disinterested spectator - when something exceptional happens, cool. And when a disaster occurs...

hehe uncle cvnt.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Tuscan Chimaera wrote:Reflections on large sporting tournaments

You spend weeks if not months looking forward to them, following the gossip, watching the trailers, keeping an eye on form.

Then they come and you find the games a bit too long and often somewhat boring.

Then your team loses and within half an hour the months-long process comes to an end. No counselling, no left overs, not even memories worth taking away for future delectation.
Maybe you'd get on better if you followed something you had a genuine interest in, rather than leaping on the bienniel populist football bandwagon?

I found most of the games lasted the same length as the 80+ football matches I attended last season, and generally I was interested in them. But then, I actually like the sport.
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

andymackem wrote: Maybe you'd get on better if you followed something you had a genuine interest in, rather than leaping on the bienniel populist football bandwagon?
I think you'll find I leap on all things I have an interest in, fish face.
dead stars

andymackem wrote:Agree entirely about penalties. Since there are rest days, why can't we have replays?

Surely in the 21st century it's not impossible to arrange a football match at two days notice, especially in the middle of a football tournament?

Yes, players would be more tired, but that's an extra incentive to pull their fingers out and win it first time through instead of defending slender leads for almost the whole game. The prospect of a replay should make for fewer conservative tactical decisions.
Replays? No, I believe we can't have replays. Don't forget the amount of money each game involve: broadcast rights, stadium preparation, secutity force involved, players' fees, merchandising, and everything else I can't even imagine.
It is a big business, these days.
dead stars

randdebiel² wrote:euh, dead inside, for the most part I agree, but the czechs a one man show? :eek:
when you see what their b-team is capable of? to me it seems the trainer has an answer to any type of football :o
Yes, now I believe you are right. My prediction is they'll win tonight and go to the final with Portugal.
randdebiel²

dead inside wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:euh, dead inside, for the most part I agree, but the czechs a one man show? :eek:
Yes, now I believe you are right. My prediction is they'll win tonight and go to the final with Portugal.
mine too, it will be a very interesting final between my two faves :)

but I really can't decide who will win....definitely the two best teams around, and probably very close too :)
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
dead stars

dead inside wrote:But trying my best to make a fool of myself, I'd advance that Portugal will manage to win the next game (Holland or Sweden). After that the nervousness may ruin the team. And still, it may not.
OK, since I did not make a complete fool of myself, I'll add that Portugal will be champion, either against Greece or Czech Republic.

*wishful thinking*

GO, PORTUGAL, GO!

*fingers crossed till Sunday*
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

dead inside wrote:
andymackem wrote:Agree entirely about penalties. Since there are rest days, why can't we have replays?

Replays? No, I believe we can't have replays. Don't forget the amount of money each game involve: broadcast rights, stadium preparation, secutity force involved, players' fees, merchandising, and everything else I can't even imagine.
It is a big business, these days.
Yes, it's big business. And business is about making things happen, and making them happen quickly. Don't forget the amount of money each game makes, and the fact that if the prospect of replays is known before you start you can insert the relevant conditions into broadcast contracts, players fees etc before the tournament starts. Then, when games are drawn those clauses are activated.

Broadcast rights can be dealt with quickly: in Britain our two main channels divided up the quarter-final ties despite them following immediately on from the groups.

Stadium preparation? How hard can that be? If a stadium was ready to host a game yesterday, and there are staff available, how can it not be ready to host a game tomorrow? Again, clauses can be put into stadium staff contracts arranging extra pay etc in the event of a replay and ensuring they will be available to work.

Security? Same again. Provisional arrangements can be sorted out well in advance, and activated if required.

None of these obstacles are insurmountable, especially when the event happens in a compressed timescale. It can be done, so why shouldn't it be!