What to do about Hollywood

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
lucretia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Okay, army of my Peers, there is this conspiracy theory brewing in my head, that Hollywood (denizen of global social consciousness and card-carrying conglomerate of the Bush administration) is pursuing a rampant, not very discreet and very global, thought-policing policy with regards to the plethora of sci-fi/fantasy/remakes/teen candyfloss movie themes released at present and I’d appreciate views to the contrary or whatever.

I am well aware that throughout movie history these themes have been more popular at certain times than at others and it may well just be a trend – but in light of current world events and the undeniable involvement of Bush party-pushers sitting in highly influential positions on the Film Boards, I wonder if this is not some kind of conditioning. There are very few films released on mainstream circuit (with the exception of Fahrenheit 9/11 and let’s remember that this was originally an “indie�) that have dared to tackle what’s really going on in the world today. For space constraints, I can’t list every bleeding title but this is just a quick overview:

Examples of very recent releases:
Spidey II
Catwoman
I, Robot
The Chronicles of Riddick
The Village
The Day After Tomorrow
AVP
Hellboy
Shrek II
Kill Bill
Van Helsing
Troy
Harry Spotter
Around the World in 80 Days
King Arthur
Thunderbirds
The Manchurian Candidate
The Bourne Supremacy
The Stepford Wives

If you look back – especially from mid to end of 2003, you can see the trend starting to develop and now it’s just complete overkill.
one day at a time
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

they're preparing us for when they reveal the alien landings :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

...Catwoman...
clicky

Although there are undoubtedly elements within Hollywood which are pro-Bush Republicans, I think a more realistic scenario is that in a time of greater uncertainty in the "world situation", many people don't want to be confronted with it; they'd rather just forget about it all and watch a no-brainer action movie.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Isn't Manchurian Candidate quite a politically relevant up-dating of an earlier film?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
lucretia

andymackem wrote:Isn't Manchurian Candidate quite a politically relevant up-dating of an earlier film?
Yes but also a remake ... so doesn't count in my book.
one day at a time
christophe
Overbomber

Actually, I think allot of the newer movies/books that are comming out are about conspiracies. Both by the authority or by other elements.
And isn’t that what you mean with it?
Another something I noticed was the fact there are a lot of Revenge movies coming out, either it’s the main plot or a subplot.
So I don’t really think there’s a conspiracy going on. I don’t have a real opinion about the whole Bush campaign. He stinks and he’s probably too stupid to be mayor of the town I live in but how far “they� will go I don’t dare to say.
Another Shade of You.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

To be honest i think are a lot of parrallels with the music industry here. I have to say, im less inclined to think thet there is some machiavelian think-tank trying to condition our minds as there is a machiavelian think-tank trying to make a lot of money. The result is a slurry of remakes and sequels which they know are bankable irrespective of being rubbish!!!!

I just yearn for more character pieces like Dogville, Lost In Translation or Whale Rider. A good film for not towing the party line.... check ot buffalo soldiers !!

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Padstar wrote:im less inclined to think thet there is some machiavelian think-tank trying to condition our minds as there is a machiavelian think-tank trying to make a lot of money
:lol: yup, on the money! :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

markfiend wrote: Although there are undoubtedly elements within Hollywood which are pro-Bush Republicans, I think a more realistic scenario is that in a time of greater uncertainty in the "world situation", many people don't want to be confronted with it; they'd rather just forget about it all and watch a no-brainer action movie.
I agree with the forgetting bit, but I'd not say we don't want to be confronted with it full stop; rather, at least in the US, it's because we are contantly being confronted--even bombarded--with the world situation: on TV, in every newspaper, and even in the general feeling with the rhythmic changing of the terror alert level. The fear culture is being kept consistently immediate. With all that, when I go to a movie, I want to see fluff so I can escape for at least two hours, you know?

Oh, and MF: As someone who obviously likes The Onion, you might wanna check out Fafblog, if you haven't already. The Medium Lobster is a genius, but Giblets is my favourite.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

lucretia wrote:
andymackem wrote:Isn't Manchurian Candidate quite a politically relevant up-dating of an earlier film?
Though it does make your list :P

Pedantry aside (I know, no-one likes a smart-arse ... but then few people like me, so there you go), is this unusual?

When has the Hollywood blockbuster ever been interested in tapping the political zeitgeist and prompting lively debate?

You get the odd political film, but they tend to stand out because of their rarity. And summer films have always been dumb. It's brain-candy season, where the popcorn is usually the most sentient item in the cinema.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
lucretia

andymackem wrote:
lucretia wrote:
Though it does make your list :P

Pedantry aside (I know, no-one likes a smart-arse ... but then few people like me, so there you go), is this unusual?

When has the Hollywood blockbuster ever been interested in tapping the political zeitgeist and prompting lively debate?

You get the odd political film, but they tend to stand out because of their rarity. And summer films have always been dumb. It's brain-candy season, where the popcorn is usually the most sentient item in the cinema.

There are several sub-issues in this thread that actually I should have taken the time and consideration to post as separate threads ... it's interesting to see all the different opinions though and I agree with just about everything so far - definitely find that Hollywood is also keeping the "fear" level up - I don't know I just got the impression that there was something sinister afoot, something just doesn't sit right to me - maybe it IS that time of the year (summer everywhere else on the goddamn planet) and that's why there is so much crap but I saw a succession of SuperHero trailers the other night at movies, the like of which I have never seen before ... it's like we are being told somehow that we will never get it right, only a super hero can. Possibly all muddled thinking here on my part ...
one day at a time
lucretia

markfiend wrote:
...Catwoman...
clicky

Although there are undoubtedly elements within Hollywood which are pro-Bush Republicans, I think a more realistic scenario is that in a time of greater uncertainty in the "world situation", many people don't want to be confronted with it; they'd rather just forget about it all and watch a no-brainer action movie.

Good point - it's also interesting I discovered that after the Great Depression in the Thirties - all people wanted to see was horror films (at that time just coming to the fore) ... you'd think they'd had enough.
one day at a time
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Basically, to sum it all up then:

Hollywood in "tries to make money" shock!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

Well, anything's better than romantic comedies...
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

Well, anything's better than romantic comedies...
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

straylight wrote:Well, anything's better than romantic comedies...
boah except if Jack nicholson plays in them :o
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....