What Should I cook tonight?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

What should I cook tonight?

Beef Wellington
20%
Chicken Kiev
No votes
Italian baked Chicken
10%
Cottage Pie
20%
Barbecued Spareribs
50%

Total votes: 10
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Sexygoth wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:i've managed to find an option that i could vote for ;) :innocent:

:lol:
terwat
i think it was the bit where you said:

"Quiffy, you can pretend there's no taste erm..sorry. I meant meat in em!!"

that constituted a declaration of war ;) :innocent:

and dont forget i have the heaviest artillery
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

How about no? /Dr Evil
Only a paand.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Quiff Boy wrote:
Sexygoth wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:i've managed to find an option that i could vote for ;) :innocent:

:lol:
terwat
i think it was the bit where you said:

"Quiffy, you can pretend there's no taste erm..sorry. I meant meat in em!!"

that constituted a declaration of war ;) :innocent:

and dont forget i have the heaviest artillery

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

God I'm funny LMAO
still laffing out loud
still laffin'
Calmed down a bit now but I was still very funny there.
Only a paand.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

my summer fave..

fry chicken breasts until golden. put in oven dish. squeeze lemons... four for about 6 chicken pieces i suppose. add some juice to pan to get juices and flavour. pour into dish over chicken with rest of lemon juice. cook in oven at about 200 C for 15-20 mins.

serve with the sauce spooned over. add salad and new potatoes.

yummy. and the sauce is good for dipping bread in.

can be done with quorn fillets too, i spose....
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
rian
Slight Overbomber

Tonight I will cook fresh tortellini. Half with meat and half with just cheese. And cheese sauce with it. Lots of black pepper. And a green salad.
I think someone set my soul alight
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i'm going out, so someone else will cook my dinner.
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

emilystrange wrote:i'm going out, so someone else will cook my dinner.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I'm having panfried cod loin, probably with a sauce of tomato and black olives, plus sauteed potatoes. I can have whatever I like, since it's always me that has to do the freaking cooking. But I'm not bitter. Actually, in a week or so I will enjoy cooking a lot more, since come 7:45 most weeknights there will be some football to listen to on radio 5, while I sizzle.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
randdebiel²

Tonikght it's the duck breast thingy...
400 gr duckbreast pp bake it...
add a bit of boullion(1/8th litre), 2 spoons of honey, a sliced (first boiled) lemon, a bit of water a bit of decent vinegatr (preferably Sherry-vinegar) a bit of good beer (duvel would do, but really just a little bit)
cook noodles apart (chionese mie preferably)
bake vegetables in a wok (with soyasauce and garlic oil):I'll go for shii-take shrooms, a bit of chung mee and a few baby-maïs....
damn I'm already hungry, and I just ate kebab :(
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

MrChris wrote:I'm having panfried cod loin, probably with a sauce of tomato and black olives, plus sauteed potatoes. I can have whatever I like, since it's always me that has to do the freaking cooking. But I'm not bitter. Actually, in a week or so I will enjoy cooking a lot more, since come 7:45 most weeknights there will be some football to listen to on radio 5, while I sizzle.
before we got sky, i used to make excuses to clean things like the inside of the cooker so i could listen to the footy. or have a long bath.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

I'm doing the Italian baked chicken, so it was a waste of time with the poll really...........Still, I made myself laugh at one point.
Only a paand.
randdebiel²

and I forgot, of course when the duck is baked, you have to slice it in fine slices (max 1 cm wide, and NOT in the length...)
and you place them in a circle across your plate, or in a different nice form if you preder....)
Last edited by randdebiel² on 12 Aug 2004, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
_emma_
Overbomber

All this talk about liver and fat and bones serves as great thinspiration for me. Thank you people. :kiss: :notworthy:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

randdebiel² wrote:and I forgot, of course when the duck is baked, you have to slice it in fine slices (max 1 cm wide, and NOT in the length...)
and you place them in a circle across your plate, or in a different nice form if you preder....)
That sounds quite nice.
Only a paand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

that whole substitute/fake meat thing is the main problem facing public perception of veggie food. it allows you to be very lazy with what you cook...

also, the main problem that non-aware meat-eaters face is that when they think of a veggie meal they think of something that they would normally eat, just with the meat taken out.

so if you have a meal that is some meat, two veg (usally boiled! :lol: ) and some potatoes, and then you remove the meat you are basically left with some mash and two over-cooked tasteless veg.

now i will give you that, it probably is going to be pretty tasteless. (i'd argue that it was more to do with how you cook it than what you cook - eg: steam the veg & add some black pepper, add a little english mustard to the mash, etc etc)

to do veggie food properly you need to go back to basics. start again. rethink what the meal is goign to be.

the reason i took exception to SG's remark about it being tasteless is that since going vegan i have discovered some of the most wonderful, tasty dishes i've ever eaten in my life. fact.

in your average meat-oriented dish the meat is the centre-piece, the only bit that you really pay attention to is the flavour of the meat. you tenderise it, baste it, coat it in herbs and breadcrumbs etc etc etc

everything else on the plate is essentially just decoration, or to bulk out the dish.

but when you make veggie stuff you pay attention to ALL of it. every single fresh vegetable, every different type of bean you use, etc etc

the majority of stuff i eat has so many different things in it, each with their own subtle flavour that each mouthful has a slightly different flavour "composition" - it makes eating very exciting and very stimulating.

in short, i thought SG's comment about tastless veggie food was bullshit, betraying a lack of understanding of the fundamental nature of food, taste, and what/how we eat ;) :D

ahem :innocent:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

_emma_ wrote: thinspiration
Did the artist formally known as Thrash Harry teach you that? :roll:
Only a paand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

obviously mrchris is the exception to that rule ;)

randdebiel² doesnt count because he comes from a more culnery-adventurous (sp?) country anyway ;)
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
that whole substitute/fake meat thing is the main problem facing public perception of veggie food. it allows you to be very lazy with what you cook...

also, the main problem that non-aware meat-eaters face is that when they think of a veggie meal they think of something that they would normally eat, just with the meat taken out.

so if you have a meal that is some meat, two veg (usally boiled! :lol: ) and some potatoes, and then you remove the meat you are basically left with some mash and two over-cooked tasteless veg.

now i will give you that, it probably is going to be pretty tasteless. (i'd argue that it was more to do with how you cook it than what you cook - eg: steam the veg & add some black pepper, add a little english mustard to the mash, etc etc)

to do veggie food properly you need to go back to basics. start again. rethink what the meal is goign to be.

the reason i took exception to SG's remark about it being tasteless is that since going vegan i have discovered some of the most wonderful, tasty dishes i've ever eaten in my life. fact.

in your average meat-oriented dish the meat is the centre-piece, the only bit that you really pay attention to is the flavour of the meat. you tenderise it, baste it, coat it in herbs and breadcrumbs etc etc etc

everything else on the plate is essentially just decoration, or to bulk out the dish.

but when you make veggie stuff you pay attention to ALL of it. every single fresh vegetable, every different type of bean you use, etc etc

the majority of stuff i eat has so many different things in it, each with their own subtle flavour that each mouthful has a slightly different flavour "composition" - it makes eating very exciting and very stimulating.

in short, i thought SG's comment about tastless veggie food was bullshit, betraying a lack of understanding of the fundamental nature of food, taste, and what/how we eat ;) :D

ahem :innocent:
I've made many many veggie and vegan dishes. I don't just mean nut roast. :lol: The reason I said it was tasteless is because I like taking the pi$$ out of you :lol:
Only a paand.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

yes quiff i know. it was just in case anyone was interested.
randdebiel²

Sexygoth wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:and I forgot, of course when the duck is baked, you have to slice it in fine slices (max 1 cm wide, and NOT in the length...)
That sounds quite nice.
Last edited by randdebiel² on 12 Aug 2004, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:obviously mrchris is the exception to that rule ;)

randdebiel² doesnt count because he comes from a more culnery-adventurous (sp?) country anyway ;)
Why is everyone else exempt? :evil: And how do you do that little 2 at the end of randdebiel's name?
Only a paand.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:yes quiff i know. it was just in case anyone was interested.
not really. Now i'd remove that nose............
Only a paand.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

My favourite vegan meal is veg biryani, swiftly followed by a few pints of beer and a cigarette.

After 10 years of being vegan you'd have thought that I'd have worked out how to cook it myself...

(and I'm really missing the top quality Indian restaurants of Nottingham and Leicester - these southern ones just aren't up to standard).
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Quiffy: nice rant.

Trouble is, having experimented quite widely with cooking non-meat-based food I'm forced to conclude that I don't really enjoy the taste of many vegetables. Specifically the green ones.

I can do fantastic things with potatoes (right with you about seasoning mash, but I'd rather set up a gratin, pop in the oven at gas mark 2 before I go to work and dive into the creamy remains on my return). I've even produced some tolerable stuff involving mushrooms, and can do a rather splendid pasta veggie bake when pushed. Carrots are OK, but anything leafy turns me right off.

Half the veg I eat comes raw, fresh peas (no icy green globules for me, thanks) especially, but I enjoy my meat and use that to give my meals substance.

As for tonight, I think roast duck leg with a red wine and chorizo gravy on a bed of creamy seasoned mash. And chocolate choux buns to follow.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

randdebiel² wrote:
Sexygoth wrote:
That sounds quite nice.
I'm 'avin that cute little purple thing.......
Only a paand.