Doom 3

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

can anyone recommend any good pc benchmarking software to tell me if i'll be able to play any of this current crop of FPS games?

my pc is a p4 1.6 with 1gb of ram, and the grafx card is a geforce2 mx400 64mb

its built more for audio to be honest, and i think the grafx card is pretty ordinary, but you never know :D :?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:can anyone recommend any good pc benchmarking software to tell me if i'll be able to play any of this current crop of FPS games?

its built more for audio to be honest, and i think the grafx card is pretty ordinary, but you never know :D :?:
I don't really use benchmarking software, but from your specs I can say that you will need a new graphics card to play Doom 3 or Far Cry as they don't support yours at all.

Your CPU is getting towards the bottom of the pile too, minimum spec for Doom 3 is a 1.5 gig P4. A gig of RAM is well above the minimum spec though.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:can anyone recommend any good pc benchmarking software to tell me if i'll be able to play any of this current crop of FPS games?

I don't really use benchmarking software, but from your specs I can say that you will need a new graphics card to play Doom 3 or Far Cry as they don't support yours at all.

Your CPU is getting towards the bottom of the pile too, minimum spec for Doom 3 is a 1.5 gig P4. A gig of RAM is well above the minimum spec though.
bugger. thought about as much :roll:

whats decent (and cheapish) grafx cards are doing the rounds at the mo then?
hallucienate
Overbomber

My friend gave me an ATI Radeon 9600 pro over the weekend, which seems to do the job very nively :) I think they're getting cheaper too.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:My friend gave me an ATI Radeon 9600 pro over the weekend, which seems to do the job very nively :) I think they're getting cheaper too.
one of these?

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/compone ... milyid=186
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
hallucienate wrote:My friend gave me an ATI Radeon 9600 pro over the weekend, which seems to do the job very nively :) I think they're getting cheaper too.
one of these?

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/compone ... milyid=186
the XT is better than the pro:
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9600/ ... mpare.html
so, yes, it'll do the job nicely
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ta ;)

http://www.cclcomputers.biz/cgi-bin/sh0 ... 9#aVGA0039
256Mb ATI Radeon 9600XT (Sapphire)
Ref: VGA0039
with DVI + TV OUT. NB Lite Version

Online Price £91.30
£107.28 Including VAT at 17.5%
:o
hallucienate
Overbomber

does that "lite" part refer to the actual card or just the supplied software? worth checking out...
hallucienate
Overbomber

hallucienate wrote:does that "lite" part refer to the actual card or just the supplied software? worth checking out...
http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600-xt.asp wrote: Full retail indicates that the package contains the entire bundle including the Game software bundle and utilities. The Lite retail versions do not come bundled with the software bundle and are packaged with the neccessities needed to enjoy the pinnacle in performance from Sapphire alone.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:does that "lite" part refer to the actual card or just the supplied software? worth checking out...
yep, had a read & its the supplied sopftware. no bundled dvd software. not a problem ;)
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

So I just went and bought Doom3. Been playing it the last couple of hours so far. So far so good. It's very pretty, but unfortunately running on an XP1600+ and a GF Ti4600 it is kinda slow. Lots of fun so far though!

I knew I should have spent my money on a new PC rather than a spiffy Dig Cam. Ah well, the new PC will have to wait a few months!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
EraserHead
Road Kill

Its all on the back of the DOOM3 jewel case,
3D Hardware accelerator hardware- 100% Directx v9 compatible 64mb Hardware accelerated video card + latest drivers
Ms Win 2000/XP
Pentium 4/Athlon XP 1500+ processor or higher
384mb RAM
8xspeed CD ROM drive (1200kb/transfer rate) + latest drivers

2.2GB uncompressed hard drive space + 400 mb for windows swap file
100% directX 9b compatible sound card+latest drivers
100% Ms Win 2000/XP keyboard/ mouse + latest drivers

Not all chipsets are supported, but most of the Radeon/nVidia Geforce seem to be ok, Best to check.
These spec. are quoted as minimum requirements
Hope that helps?

Or you could try the Silent Hill series on the PS 2! If you feel really patient.
Eh!
hallucienate
Overbomber

If you get have radeon ATI card it is critical that you get the latest drivers from www.ati.com. Doom 3 was unstable until I installed these, now everything runs perfectly. :)
sisxbeforedawn
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

got my copy at the weekend, but had to ditch my old ATI 7200 64meg for a 9800 pro 128meg 256bit card and now Doom3 is happy. Although it's one scary game :eek: :eek: :eek: playing it alone with the lights off and the cat asleep is well spooky, :lol: I had to wake the cat up before I could go to sleep :twisted:
I met a devil woman, she took my heart away