Never Land (A Fragment?) [Reissue] - Comments, etc

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

Since I got the trhee albums, I stuck them all on my mp3 player. I've had this new version of Neverland on more than any of the other tracks. Sounds best through a decent set of headphones with nothing else to distract you from it. Maximum volume of course!
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

Love the 12 minute Neverland, particularly the lyrics.

Just wanted to raise something if it hasn't already been covered...

Emma is listed as being recorded 1/88. Previously, I think, people here had been suggesting it was an 84/85 era track that was only released in 88 (Dominion B-side). But... The Docktor sounds more like the Floodland Doktor to me, and Andrew's voice is a little different to 1984/5. Same goes for the bass, although the guitar sounds rather like Gary Marx! Any clues?
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

I didn't like that particular version of Emma, I thought the bass sounded awful (was it Patricia or Andrew playing bass? I seem to recall the vocals were done on a stage with no-one else there so it will be a backing track). Personally, I would have played the bass a lot better than what was officially released - and I suspect many other members of this forum would as well.

I much prefered the bootlrgged studio version that many other fellow members will have heard via the weedind section with what some call the 'classic' line up from 1984/85.
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
mh
Above the Chemist

They originally started covering Emma in 83, did a few studio recordings (Peel session and demo) in 84, and covered it throughout all 84/85 concerts. This actual recording belongs to 88, but the song itself really belongs to the 83/84/85 lineups.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Big Si
School Bully

RetroGoth wrote:I didn't like that particular version of Emma, I thought the bass sounded awful (was it Patricia or Andrew playing bass? I seem to recall the vocals were done on a stage with no-one else there so it will be a backing track). Personally, I would have played the bass a lot better than what was officially released - and I suspect many other members of this forum would as well.
I've always thought it was ok, and it would have been :von: on bass (he sang the vocals live on stage at the electric ballroom with lights and smoke but no audience).
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

Big Si wrote:
RetroGoth wrote:I didn't like that particular version of Emma, I thought the bass sounded awful (was it Patricia or Andrew playing bass? I seem to recall the vocals were done on a stage with no-one else there so it will be a backing track). Personally, I would have played the bass a lot better than what was officially released - and I suspect many other members of this forum would as well.
I've always thought it was ok, and it would have been :von: on bass (he sang the vocals live on stage at the electric ballroom with lights and smoke but no audience).
Sounds like my living room before I started boxing things up to move house! Many a night spent with the dry ice machine, the coloured lights, guitar or bass slung over me shoulder and copious amounts of beer. Those were the days!

I've heard worse than that version of Emma though but I think you know the version I mean. Was :von: the guitarist on the Floodland version as well?

Is it just me or are the drums on Torch a lot like that on Neverland (fragment version). Then I wondered if Neverland was a development of Torch, which may have come from the Gift era? I suppose that's what happens when you overdose on Jaffa Cakes - you have strange thoughts!
Big Si
School Bully

RetroGoth wrote:
Big Si wrote:
Sounds like my living room before I started boxing things up to move house! Many a night spent with the dry ice machine, the coloured lights, guitar or bass slung over me shoulder and copious amounts of beer. Those were the days!

I've heard worse than that version of Emma though but I think you know the version I mean. Was :von: the guitarist on the Floodland version as well?

Is it just me or are the drums on Torch a lot like that on Neverland (fragment version). Then I wondered if Neverland was a development of Torch, which may have come from the Gift era? I suppose that's what happens when you overdose on Jaffa Cakes - you have strange thoughts!
Whilst looking for Steinman's More vid for Mr Blast :wink: I found this -
http://members.fortunecity.com/xaviert/jimsteinman/artists/sisters.htm wrote:In 1987, Jim Steinman worked with Andrew Eldritch on the Floodland project, co-producing "Dominion/Mother Russia" with Larry Alexander and Andrew Eldritch. He also produced "This Corrosion", on the same album. Among the other artists involved with Floodland were Stein/Loaf regulars, Steven Margoshes, Eddie Martinez, Jimmy Bralower, Jeff Bova, Holly Sherwood, Gina Taylor and Eric Troyer.
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

I see nae Never Land (a fragment)/(full length) mentions, Big Yin?

Please, stay on topic people!!! ;D :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

RetroGoth wrote:Is it just me or are the drums on Torch a lot like that on Neverland (fragment version). Then I wondered if Neverland was a development of Torch, which may have come from the Gift era? I suppose that's what happens when you overdose on Jaffa Cakes - you have strange thoughts!
I believe that Torch was the song that Craig refused to play bass on, prompting his walk out.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:Please, stay on topic people!!! ;D :lol:
You serious? :eek: :wink: ;D :lol:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:
Whaur Never Land is concerned, yes. :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:
Big Si wrote:
Whaur Never Land is concerned, yes. :|
:oops:

Jawohl, Herr Blast! :von:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

I have spoken, my people hear me. :twisted:
~ Peter Steele
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:
RetroGoth wrote:Is it just me or are the drums on Torch a lot like that on Neverland (fragment version). Then I wondered if Neverland was a development of Torch, which may have come from the Gift era? I suppose that's what happens when you overdose on Jaffa Cakes - you have strange thoughts!
I believe that Torch was the song that Craig refused to play bass on, prompting his walk out.
Craig Adams seems to like walking out on bands, doesn't he?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

RetroGoth wrote:
mh wrote:
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll take my bass home ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

weebleswobble wrote:
RetroGoth wrote:
mh wrote: I believe that Torch was the song that Craig refused to play bass on, prompting his walk out.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll take my bass home ;D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was trying to remember how many times he quite the m*****n but I dobt that Adams himself could recall :twisted:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

5 minutes into Never Land (full)...

Oh My God I think I've just come...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:5 minutes into Never Land (full)...

:eek: :roll:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
James Blast
Banned

That'll be the Never Land (full length) effect, Sir! :D
~ Peter Steele
Pat
Slight Overbomber

5 minutes :eek: that'll be twice then :twisted:
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

Just a wee thought (still not heard it... waiting for Christmas :innocent: )
but if we accept that the lineage of this song is:
1. Neverland - Demo version as heard on Kill the Lights, et al
2. Neverland - Full lengh version
3. Neverland (a fragment)

It means one of two things happened:
New lyrics were added after the demo then taken away again.
The lyrics were trimmed from the demo version upon its 'leak' to the public to more closely resemble the finished product. There's surely enough instrumental bits in the demo to accommodate all the words...

Option 1 is hardly earth-shattering but option 2 might shed some light upon the age old bootleg provenance question.

(OK, so I said it was a wee thought...)
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Well, it's like some of the other stuff:

Body Electric had different vocals in the early demos.
Driver lyrics turned up on Heartland.
FALAA music to the Marian/Red Skies Disappear lyrics
Black Planet music to Dance On Glass lyrics
Burn (Burn It Down) demo lyrics appear in the released version of Burn in the backwards bits.

It's just evolution of the songs.

I wouldn't mind finding out when the Untitled demo from Acoustics From The Beehive was made as well. I'm thinking a Floodland Demo.

Anyway, sorry James, went a little off-topic.

Never Land (full length) is ace.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Body Electric had a different line in the chorus, which omitted the words "Body Electric", and said something mumbled and completely different.
Driver was a f**king immense track, and should have been released.
Gary Marx actually said that the Red Skies Disappear version of FALAA was an "early version" (as the line "only you can say the words I need to hear" was later used in the Ghost Dance song When I Call)
Black Planet/Dance On Glass was pretty good. Burn It Down was also good.

I wonder what the Floodland-era Untitled demo is, as well.. aside from "pretty damn good"
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

Dark wrote:"pretty damn good"
You're not wrong. Listened to that again yesterday. One of AE's prettiest things.

I know I heard the track Untitled on the Dominion CD single many years ago, but don't remember what it sounded like. I have a vague recollection of being less-than-impressed. It's not related to this Untitled is it? Anybody?
James Blast
Banned

what Untitled, am there two? :cry:
~ Peter Steele