Happy Birthday Richard Dawkins

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dr. Moody wrote:How the f**k does he know anyway ? "oops just been on the phone to God, forgot to mention that Limbo is out this year...
ROFLMAO! :lol:

:notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:I can think of passages in Thomas's Summa where he explicitly rejects literal readings, saying that if scripture and science disagree, it's because you've not understood scripure correctly
Way back in the thread now, but this that seemed familiar to me; I've found it, and it's not Aquinas I was thinking of:
Augustine of Hippo wrote:We must be on our guard against giving interpretations which are hazardous or opposed to science, and so exposing the word of God to the ridicule of unbelievers.
Saint Augustine, De genesi ad litteram libri duodecim (The Literal Meaning of Genesis) (415), I, nos. 19, 21, 39
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

all bases covered eh?
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

...which is curious in itself since Von's particular referential writing style and sampling of lyrics, lines of poetry and "stolen guitars" could be easily described as post-modernist, despite his modernist protestations.
I wouldn't call Joyce and Eliot post-modernists, but modernists, yet they were infuriatingly obscure due to referential writing. Joyce's Ulysses can't exactly be well read without a copy of Homer's Odyssey at hand, nor can Eliot's The Waste Land without Dante's Divine Comedy, and I would say Von is simply following in their footsteps (as is evident through his allusions to Eliot in early TSOM songs, such as "Valentine").
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Indeed. In fact wouldn't Joyce and Eliot be considered the epitome of modernism?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dr. Moody

http://www.spikedhumor.com/player/vcpla ... 8/data.xml

Dawkins episode of south park, Hysterical ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dawkins' comment on that was apparently "couldn't they have got someone with a halfway-decent British accent?" :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Dr. Moody

They do it on purpose to wind people up even more.
When Sean Penn found out he was going to be on the show he rang them up and offered to do the voiceover but was turned down with "no thanks we 've got someone better " :lol: