Isn't Floodland one of the best albums ever?!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
psichonaut
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:
Gimme_The_Ring wrote:
nickyspecial wrote:It isn't even in the top miilion.
Just read your other replies, i see you're a bit of a troll on the side? :innocent:
Aye, G_T_R, this nickyspecial needs some special treatment me thinks. :roll:
Madame let 's spank him :innocent:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

psichonaut wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:
Gimme_The_Ring wrote: Just read your other replies, i see you're a bit of a troll on the side? :innocent:
Aye, G_T_R, this nickyspecial needs some special treatment me thinks. :roll:
Madame let 's spank him :innocent:
Let's leave it to Marky! :wink: :innocent:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

It's definitely one of the best, but I like to think more of it as a double album than anything else since it's like the perfect continuation of what got started with the inception of its more techno-vibe counterpart Gift. I think these two should be played together to have a much clearer perception of the sheer awesomeness that still remains a bit veiled behind this masterpiece. Bottom line the equation breaks into something like this:
Image + Image + SCRATCHING YOUR BALLS = BALLGASM & CLAPS ALL OVER YOUR DICK!!!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

OK...

Ballgasm? Really? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

WOW, I remember starting this topic nearly 3 years ago. :D My opinion of Floodland remains the same though. :notworthy:
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Gimme_The_Ring wrote:WOW, I remember starting this topic nearly 3 years ago. :D My opinion of Floodland remains the same though. :notworthy:
Haha, old thread but still true, and I also agree to demolitionsisters, Floodland and Gift are my favourite Eldritches! :D
circle

I still think that the best TSOM period is 1983, and the best album from them is a DIY tape of Reptile House EP, Alice, Anaconda and Temple of Love 7''s put together. :innocent:
darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com
iesus
Overbomber

i think Floodland is the best concept album made ever ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
moses

I think 'Driven Like The Snow' & '1959' really let Floodland down as a complete album
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Sita

You are kidding :eek: those are amongst my favourites
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

circle wrote:I still think that the best TSOM period is 1983, and the best album from them is a DIY tape of Reptile House EP, Alice, Anaconda and Temple of Love 7''s put together. :innocent:
That'll be Some Girls Wander By Mistake then. Just skip tracks 14-18. Or count them as bonus tracks.
circle

stufarq wrote:
circle wrote:I still think that the best TSOM period is 1983, and the best album from them is a DIY tape of Reptile House EP, Alice, Anaconda and Temple of Love 7''s put together. :innocent:
That'll be Some Girls Wander By Mistake then. Just skip tracks 14-18. Or count them as bonus tracks.
Yes. That is actuallly the band's best album and the one I keep going back to on a weekly basis. :twisted:
circle

moses wrote:I think 'Driven Like The Snow' & '1959' really let Floodland down as a complete album
You're kidding right?

Are we not talking about an album that has a 10 minutes plus remix version in the middle... That version of This Corrosion lets Floodland down as a complete album. I don't know why they didn't put the single version there... Might have saved some more time for Neverland.

Driven by the Snow and 1959 are probably the best songs on the entire album along with Lucretia.
damagedone

The most atmospheric album ever,can't really see a weak spot in it.
Keep Music Evil
Headingly
Road Kill

As far as track 8 on your list it is a masterpiece... tracks 9 and 10 are an afterthought.
Q: Is space curved?
A: It is in Leeds
splintered thing

Floodland is the most wonderful album and has remained a constant for me since it was released.

Lucretia is a work of genius.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

circle wrote:Driven by the Snow and 1959 are probably the best songs on the entire album
:notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
moses

circle wrote:
moses wrote:I think 'Driven Like The Snow' & '1959' really let Floodland down as a complete album
You're kidding right?

Driven by the Snow and 1959 are probably the best songs on the entire album along with Lucretia.
Obviously an album for everyman
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
mh
Above the Chemist

circle wrote:
You're kidding right?

Are we not talking about an album that has a 10 minutes plus remix version in the middle... That version of This Corrosion lets Floodland down as a complete album. I don't know why they didn't put the single version there... Might have saved some more time for Neverland.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aye, this. Especially regarding Corrosion. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

I bought Floodland in good old Our Price on the day of its release and remember it being played in the shop at that particular moment. Driven Like The Snow was on while I was at the counter. I remember this because two “old school� Sisters fans were hanging around, commenting on how crap it was and sneering in particular at the lyrics. The line “lipstick on my cigarette� caused them to be particularly derisive – presumably they didn’t see it as a deliberate reference to Nine While Nine; more a case of Von having run out of ideas. All I know is that it still represents my favourite Sisters era and I’ve never tired of playing it in the 24 years since (24 years... I don’t like how that looks written down!).
And, personally, I wouldn’t have anything less than a 10 minute This Corrosion as the centrepiece of the album. It’s a song about excess and bombast – it works so much better in its longer form. Glorious tune!

I was always intrigued by the attitude of those fans (ex-fans, I suppose?) in Our Price that day, though. I’d only been into the Sisters for a couple of years (with immaculate timing, I got into them properly just as they’d broken up so I never saw the original band live). The new more synths / less full-on guitar sound didn’t bother me so much. In fact, as a synth kid (my favourite band at the time being Depeche Mode), I welcomed it. I wonder if there was much of a dismissive attitude among the longer term fans in 1987. Did many people feel that The m*****n (touring, playing loud rock music with guitars) were more of a continuation of the spirit of the original Sisters at the time? Did anyone on here feel like that? And have you come round to Floodland since then?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: I bought Floodland on the day of its release too. (It might even have been Our Price as well -- either that or Virgin Records; the record shop underground in Manchester Arndale Centre anyway.) I also just missed out on the "classic" 84-85 line-up. And yes, I think it's my favourite Sisters era too!

I know that Floodland is only one of about three albums I've ever put straight back on as soon as it's finished... and the only album full stop that I've done it with on more than one occasion.

From your profile I see that you're roughly the same age as me metal on metal*: I don't know, I guess no music means as much as the music we listened to when we were 16/17...

* I was going to abbreviate that to mom but that would have been... weird :lol:

Edited about 7 times: BBS code fail :roll:
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

metal on metal wrote:I was always intrigued by the attitude of those fans (ex-fans, I suppose?) in Our Price that day, though.
I guess they thought they were just too cool to like the latest release. Kinda like "we're proper Sisters fans because we prefer the older stuff, not like you blow-in". They probably sneered at FALAA when that came out too. :urff:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

I didn't get into The Sisters until Temple Of Love '92. :eek:

I love pretty much everything they've done. I'm easily pleased. ;D
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I love Floodland, and it was the album that got me into the Sisters in the first place.

However, listening to it now, I can't help feeling that it is more a masterpiece of production than of songwriting. And the production is very much 'of its time' and has dated quite badly.

While the production of FALAA is also 'of its time' and arguably sounds even more dated, the album nevertheless stands the test of time better due to the greater depth of songwriting.

Of the total time I spend listening to the Sisters now, probably 60% is FALAA-era stuff, 30% pre-FALAA, and only 10% everything else.

I think one of the great "what ifs" in the Sisters' history is - what if Jim Steinman had produced an album with the Marx/Hussey lineup..?
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

Sita wrote:
Gimme_The_Ring wrote:WOW, I remember starting this topic nearly 3 years ago. :D My opinion of Floodland remains the same though. :notworthy:
Haha, old thread but still true, and I also agree to demolitionsisters, Floodland and Gift are my favourite Eldritches! :D
Add Giving ground RSV and AV, this corrosion demos and Eldritch's version of colours and you have another Gift album in your hands. Add the Portland demos to Floodland and you have a double Floodland album (with an acoustic instrumental on it). Bottom line 4 Floodland-era albums to blow your feckin' mind. ;D