What do you think really changed in Andrew's handling of the band/brand?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 16:30
mh wrote: 31 Jul 2024, 17:09
sultan2075 wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 19:32

Am I imagining it or wasn't there talk of a 'But Genevieve' single right before the Covid disaster? I thought someone said Davey had spilled the beans on a planned (and now, presumably, long-scuttled) release?
This happened in Bristol in 2020, so I guess statute of limitations is now passed. Davey told a few of us in the pub, after the gig. What I specifically remember from my own chat with him is that he was very interested in getting people's opinion of the song, and that it was going to be the "first single" that summer.

That was obviously immediately pre-Covid and was only the 2nd date of the tour. Nobody knew what was going to happen just a couple of weeks later, and my own assumption is that the various Covid restrictions everywhere, together with cancellation of the tour after the first 4 dates, changed whatever plans the band might have had.

Assuming Davey wasn't just being a wag and having us all on, of course.

I can still get to say there was a Sisters tour I went to every single date of, by way of consolation for not having a single. :lol:
I vaguely remember hearing somewhere on this forum that the sisters have some rudimentary recordings of all the songs, mainly for rehearsal purposes.
Maybe, maybe not. I believe in a recent interview Kai has said that he had to learn the songs from live versions on Youtube when he first joined the band.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Untitled
Road Kill

First of all, altough I'm registered in this forum for many years, I only wrote very few words because of my weak level in english language, so please apologize the poor vocabulary (although enhanced by Google trad) and all the mistakes in the following lines.

For as much as I can understand what I read on this topic, I tend to believe in the Occam razor theory : since the middle of the 90's, there has been/will never be another Sisters album because Eldritch doesn't need to record one... and doesn't want to. But I think that, in this refusal, there's an artistical issue that hadn't been explicitly mentioned here recently (or perhaps I missed it).

Retrospectively, one might consider something that's almost obvious : each of the 3 albums were significant standards in the little world of rock music or, at least, marked an important evolution/innovation in the sound of the band.
- FALAA not only shows an evolution from the first suicidesque-post-punk singles with the inclusion of WH's guitars, but it also ultimately cristallized the definition of what would be called "gothic rock" in the canonic way (even if Eldritch denies the G*** word).
- Floodland was a shift towards a more synthetic sound with a rock opera feel that was rather unique at that time.
- Vision Thing was another shift towards a guitar oriented sound, not a return to FALAA, but something more straightfoward in the MTV style of the late 80's, objectively not as innovative as the two previous LP but a drastic evolution in the sound of the band (and in commercial ambitions).

After that, since the middle of the 90's, we've got new live songs, some of which are very good/excellent (whether they reach the level of the past songs is somehow a matter of taste) but eventually none of them shows something that really step outside the perimeter delimited by the three above-mentioned milestones. So a fourth SOM album could be an excellent synthesis of what has been already done before but, even perhaps with the better songs that had been produced under that name, it couldn't be as surprising/outstanding/influential as its predecessors, it would only be a "best of" compilation of new songs. Eldritch has certainly enough hindsight to understand that, since the early 90's, he had no really innovative artistical direction/vision that would suit to the Sisters and would justify to be engraved as an album ; so he knows that it would probably be a step too far in this artistical dead end that would break the cult status he managed to build and maintain over the years.

Beside all the pecuniary considerations that made irrelevant to record a fourth album, one must admit that there was/will be none because, artistically, for a long time Eldritch knows he got nothing to say he ain't said before.
ruffers
Overbomber

:idea: Now that makes a lot of sense to me
Chucking another log on
Fallon
Road Kill

Untitled wrote: 11 Aug 2024, 23:46 First of all, altough I'm registered in this forum for many years, I only wrote very few words because of my weak level in english language, so please apologize the poor vocabulary (although enhanced by Google trad) and all the mistakes in the following lines.

For as much as I can understand what I read on this topic, I tend to believe in the Occam razor theory : since the middle of the 90's, there has been/will never be another Sisters album because Eldritch doesn't need to record one... and doesn't want to. But I think that, in this refusal, there's an artistical issue that hadn't been explicitly mentioned here recently (or perhaps I missed it).

Retrospectively, one might consider something that's almost obvious : each of the 3 albums were significant standards in the little world of rock music or, at least, marked an important evolution/innovation in the sound of the band.
- FALAA not only shows an evolution from the first suicidesque-post-punk singles with the inclusion of WH's guitars, but it also ultimately cristallized the definition of what would be called "gothic rock" in the canonic way (even if Eldritch denies the G*** word).
- Floodland was a shift towards a more synthetic sound with a rock opera feel that was rather unique at that time.
- Vision Thing was another shift towards a guitar oriented sound, not a return to FALAA, but something more straightfoward in the MTV style of the late 80's, objectively not as innovative as the two previous LP but a drastic evolution in the sound of the band (and in commercial ambitions).

After that, since the middle of the 90's, we've got new live songs, some of which are very good/excellent (whether they reach the level of the past songs is somehow a matter of taste) but eventually none of them shows something that really step outside the perimeter delimited by the three above-mentioned milestones. So a fourth SOM album could be an excellent synthesis of what has been already done before but, even perhaps with the better songs that had been produced under that name, it couldn't be as surprising/outstanding/influential as its predecessors, it would only be a "best of" compilation of new songs. Eldritch has certainly enough hindsight to understand that, since the early 90's, he had no really innovative artistical direction/vision that would suit to the Sisters and would justify to be engraved as an album ; so he knows that it would probably be a step too far in this artistical dead end that would break the cult status he managed to build and maintain over the years.

Beside all the pecuniary considerations that made irrelevant to record a fourth album, one must admit that there was/will be none because, artistically, for a long time Eldritch knows he got nothing to say he ain't said before.
I've made a similar, but not identical point elsewhere on these boards, which is that quite simply, a new Sisters album serves no function besides presenting point-in-time renditions of songs. All other Sisters records were distinct projects with distinct purposes. If we assume that a new Sisters record was to contain recorded versions of the live-only songs from the last few decades, the only possible reaction, really, would be "Yessir, those sure are recorded versions of the songs I know". There would be no greater impetus than that, which would automatically make it 'less than' the previous records.

I do sometimes privately hold out hope that there's some secret masterplan to release a weird record full of strange tunes that have never seen the light of day before, totally unannounced and without fanfare. That might have the kind of impact a Sisters record should, but I dare suggest that the "New Sisters Album" most people are imagining would have no choice but to be a cheap, pointless, fart-in-a-forest. It would feel so trifling and unnecessary in the end, that we'd all go "Andrew was right, he didn't need to release this" and then he'd write a withering, cryptic "told you so" message on the website.

We don't need a new record. The songs are good. They exist in a form that allows them to be heard and understood and interpreted, and to evolve. A record is only going to trap them and make them smaller, at this point. They weren't written to be recorded.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

GC wrote: 19 Jul 2024, 19:56 Not a popular view... but I still believe that he is under contract and cant release anything.
This is not accurate. I've spoken pretty extensively to Rob Dickins, then Chairman of Warner Music UK, about accepting SSV and releasing Eldritch from his contract.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
sultan2075
Overbomber

bismarck wrote: 15 Aug 2024, 03:09
GC wrote: 19 Jul 2024, 19:56 Not a popular view... but I still believe that he is under contract and cant release anything.
This is not accurate. I've spoken pretty extensively to Rob Dickins, then Chairman of Warner Music UK, about accepting SSV and releasing Eldritch from his contract.
That’s interesting. Is there anything more you can say/worth saying? Or is that discussion earmarked for Vol. 2? (Not complaining if it is, as I loved the book).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
bismarck

sultan2075 wrote: 15 Aug 2024, 12:08 That’s interesting. Is there anything more you can say/worth saying? Or is that discussion earmarked for Vol. 2? (Not complaining if it is, as I loved the book).
The relationship had become non-productive and at some point both parties wanted out. The Sisters have been free since 1997 as widely reported.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Husek

bismarck wrote: 15 Aug 2024, 14:01
sultan2075 wrote: 15 Aug 2024, 12:08 That’s interesting. Is there anything more you can say/worth saying? Or is that discussion earmarked for Vol. 2? (Not complaining if it is, as I loved the book).
The relationship had become non-productive and at some point both parties wanted out. The Sisters have been free since 1997 as widely reported.
I remember reading an article in a Brazilian magazine back in the day, and the reporter mentioned that this was the first gig since they were set free from their contract and Von mentioned something to allure that. And yes both the article and the show are from 97, so that tracks.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
sultan2075
Overbomber

What percentage of the discussion here at HL has now been irrevocably killed? :D
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
GC
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote: 15 Aug 2024, 19:01
What percentage of the discussion here at HL has now been irrevocably killed? :D
I think I will let it go now..... But would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids! :lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeah, it comes down to what Von has always said about the current state of the band being one he enjoys as it causes him a reduced level of stress.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.