Explain your name

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

a bad habbit. keep fprgetting to wash the brush out
Goths have feelings too
shambeko
Road Kill

F--kwit wrote:Basically I'm a f u c kwit. I have a few real life friends on here and chose not to use my real name as when I first joined I thought it would be a laugh to pretend it wasn't me. It quite clearly is though. I use my real name (not necessarily the one I was born with...) on most forums, or occasionally my other alter ego of Blackout (because I do... ask Debaser... it's also a British Sea Power song but so are lots of other things and none of them quite as appropriate... thud!)
Cath - you don't half get around!
Are there any messageboards you don't post on? :lol:

As for my username - got it from Pete Wylie :wink:
It's a song by Wah! (on the Wah! The Maverick Years album) and Pete used the name Shambeko Say Wah! for the release of the single "Remember".
Don't make me a leader, I'll lead you all wrong.
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

A Black Shuck is a huge phantom Black Dog said to haunt the lonely country lanes of East Anglia.

to see one is an omen of death.

weather vane depicting a BS from the town of Bungay.

here is a description from an epic peom called 'Black Shuck' by Martin Newell:

"As big as a calf,
with eyes like burning coals,
he pads silently beside the traveller on lonely country roads.
Always keeping pace,
he never drops back but simply seems to melt away.
In some parts of the region,
they believe that if you see old Shuck,
then you or someone in your family will die.
But best not to see him."

I chose the name as I own one as a pet, and also cos it's a bit like my real name, Charles Shuckworth.
Last edited by Black Shuck on 12 Oct 2004, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
Gazza for England manager
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Black Shuck wrote:A Black Shuck is a huge phantom Black Dog said to haunt the lonely country lanes of East Anglia.
I knew that. ;D

Reading Fortean Times every month does have its uses after all :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Mine's obvious :roll:
Only a paand.
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

markfiend wrote:
Reading Fortean Times every month does have its uses after all :lol:
Hey, I read that as well!

I read my monthly copy at Picadilly station, Manchester, over a period of a few days, while waiting for trains to arrive.

I do the same with 'Record Collector'.

sneaky, eh?
Gazza for England manager
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

paint it black: should be paint in black, but hey..

khepri II: 'he who changes form'

ez: english zloty

??:
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

paint it black wrote:paint it black: should be paint in black, but hey..

khepri II: 'he who changes form'

ez: english zloty

??:
Wot? They're all you? ???
Sexygothâ„¢ wrote:Mine's obvious :roll:
Is it? :innocent: *Ducks*
Black Shuck wrote:I read my monthly copy at Picadilly station, Manchester, over a period of a few days, while waiting for trains to arrive.
I actually buy mine :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Bastard
Only a paand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, what would Richey do if other men went around calling his beloved bride-to-be Sexy? :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

markfiend wrote:Well, what would Richey do if other men went around calling his beloved bride-to-be Sexy? :innocent:
he'd commend them on their excellent taste whilst reminding them of her soon-to-be-married status.
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ah well then. I retract. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
christophe
Overbomber

RicheyJames wrote:
markfiend wrote:Well, what would Richey do if other men went around calling his beloved bride-to-be Sexy? :innocent:
he'd commend them on their excellent taste whilst reminding them of her soon-to-be-married status.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Another Shade of You.
shambeko
Road Kill

[quote="shambeko
As for my username - got it from Pete Wylie :wink:
It's a song by Wah! (on the Wah! The Maverick Years album) and Pete used the name Shambeko Say Wah! for the release of the single "Remember".[/quote]

Just dug out my copy of the Maverick Years and found this in the sleeve notes:

"From first Warner demos. We were getting into our stride, loving Frank Sinatra and getting confident. When we hear about Nazi Germany and Nazi Europe we assume everyone was in the Hitler Youth and goose-stepping. Well they weren't. Although it was a scary thing to do, part of the rebellion was to dress up Sinatra's zoot suit style and go dancing. It was underground and secret, their 'f**k you equivalent of the leather jacket. Then, they used to go out and jump stormtroopers. They were called 'Shambeko' in Germany, Zazu in France. The catalogue number of "Remember" is Zazu 1."
Don't make me a leader, I'll lead you all wrong.
Petseri
Overbomber

shambeko wrote:Just dug out my copy of the Maverick Years and found this in the sleeve notes:

"From first Warner demos. We were getting into our stride, loving Frank Sinatra and getting confident. When we hear about Nazi Germany and Nazi Europe we assume everyone was in the Hitler Youth and goose-stepping. Well they weren't. Although it was a scary thing to do, part of the rebellion was to dress up Sinatra's zoot suit style and go dancing. It was underground and secret, their 'f**k you equivalent of the leather jacket. Then, they used to go out and jump stormtroopers. They were called 'Shambeko' in Germany, Zazu in France. The catalogue number of "Remember" is Zazu 1."
Anyone interested in the topic may want to check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 99-8589240 (in the U.K.) or http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846 (in the U.S.) or http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... 23-0632059 (in Germany). I guess that it could be elsewhere than Amazon; I am not plugging any aprticualr vendor. :roll:

Martin
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

saw this thread whilst trawling through the stats board (yes,i know, i really should get a life-however,in the meantime...)and thought it might be worth resurrecting for all us "newbies"(see how easily one slips into "forum speak").

oh yeah;where i'm from,why i cant sleep and 'cause i was born yesterday(actually my original user name was "body dyslexic" but i forgot the password before i'ld stopped laughing at my own wit.or not.)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Owh, I did not explain mine yet, so if you didn't know yet, it's from a comic, Non Sequitur (great site with a daily comic), I saw a Obviousman comic on the net once, and I immidiately loved it and therefore chose Obviousman to be my nick...
You can see his legend here
And just the other day, I discovered: Obviousman, the movie
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
canon docre
Overbomber

ask Spartacus Mills for mine.... He is an erudite man.... 8)
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Thanks for resurrecting this thread - most informative :lol:

I think I have already explained my name - its my Dads nickname for me. He gave it to me years ago. I had got into the sisters, dyed my hair black and completely changed my clothes whilst away from home at college, without telling my parents - they got a bit of a shock :urff: In fact Dad got quite upset - especially when I had my nose pierced.

But that was all a very long time ago and now he gets really protective when people stare at me in the local pub (my parents live in a very small village in a very conservative part of Kent - not that I can think of any part which is not conservative!).
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Just to update for the newbies, I was originally Johhny Boy (typo :oops: ) but then corrected to Johnny Boy. After awhile, to avoid duplication with the other 'Boy' on here I abbreviated to JB. At the same time Red Sunsets changed to James Blast. We both started getting referred to as JB. :?

So to end the confusion, I did a straw poll amongst those nearest and dearest to me and on the day of the infamous 'Spiggy asks for the non-existent TC demos' ** thread, markfiend :notworthy: suggested Loki.

As name-changes are strictly 'one-off' I sent QB the following rational, coherrent arguement for a further name change:
JB wrote:Loki... is the creature who transgresses all boundaries; even more significant, Loki represents the boundary itself... Loki may most properly be seen as representative of more than either the boundary or the boundary crosser; in the character and role of Loki, the boundary, difference itself, has collapsed. But to say that it 'has collapsed' implies its prior existence, and this does not adequately describe Loki. In Loki that opposition has never been created; what is elsewhere, two is one in Loki.
Understandably, that weirded him out so much he agreed. Hence Loki. :D

Though those Black October kids stuck in the same 84 time-warp as me, still refer to me by any of the 'J' names. :von:

** I have looked for this thread but as you appreciate, on HL all topics are derailed by 5 posts so maybe it never started as a TC demo post so maybe another anorak can find it?. It was funny. :lol:

Or maybe it was another victim of the hack. :roll:

Or Spiggy bribed Quiffy to delete it ... :innocent: :lol:

@ QB - Appears the "sticky" 'One-off user name change thread' in Announcemets disappeared in the hack also. :|
Last edited by Loki on 15 May 2005, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
filthyrikky
Road Kill

Blame Kaleidoscope Magazine who started the "rikky filth" (a riff on the teeny tiny nutcase singer of cradle of filth who at that time I apparantly resembled aside from being several feet taller) thing. It soon Mutated.

Attention seeking singer of a noisey metal band ? Moi ?

Oh the blessed irony.
http://killingmiranda.com

bum raping the goth scene since 1998
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

filthyrikky wrote:Blame Kaleidoscope Magazine who started the "rikky filth" (a riff on the teeny tiny nutcase singer of cradle of filth who at that time I apparantly resembled aside from being several feet taller) thing. It soon Mutated.

Attention seeking singer of a noisey metal band ? Moi ?

Oh the blessed irony.
Please tell me that you don't really resemble twit filth :eek: - I need to sleep tonight :urff:
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
pikkrong
Overbomber

There are two things you should know about pikkrong...

Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

pikkrong wrote:There are two things you should know about pikkrong...
Indrek,

Stop showing off ... :innocent:

In true Baldrick style ...

"Is one a train ..?"

...hang on I've got it " ... a lovely big turnip train?" :P
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Andy TG

Used to be Andy The Goth

AKA The Smiling Goth to some - as it is known that I am NICE and have a dark / sick sense of humour.

I have been known as Andy The Goth or simply The Goth to quite a few old friends/fiends i know from my home town (and i still want to leave and NEVER return!)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M