It's an absolute disgrace

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Debaser
Overbomber

andymackem wrote:
Debaser wrote:
andymackem wrote:

You can't impose a more tolerant, thoughtful society on the world however much you might wish it.

But we can impose a more intolerant one? I for one will never agree to the 'lynch mob' mentality and if the general consensus is that we should bring back the death penalty, I'd seriously have to consider moving.
As a matter of interest, to where would you consider going?

Which nation, society or culture do you believe is a bastion of enlightened thought and attitude?

The reason the lynch mob exists (and it exists within every one of us somewhere, if the buttons are pressed in a certain sequence) is because we are human beings.

Vengeance, rightly or wrongly, is a fundamental part of what we are. We remain tribal, fiercely loyal to those we perceive as 'our own' and basically hostile to those we perceive as a threat to 'our way'.

I don't believe you can find a human society where this issue won't recur in some form ... but I'd love to hear of the Shangri-La you're seeking. Good luck!
After hearing that schools in Ireland get an extra four weeks holiday a year...I might pop there :lol:

Now lemme think, where could I go where everything is just sweetness and light, insipid and bland.

What about Iceland, what attrocities and human rights abuses would I have to put up with there?
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

d'ye want chips with your seal steak Ma'am? ;)
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:d'ye want chips with your seal steak Ma'am? ;)
'Least I'd be able to find a use for me red jacket ... :innocent:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

High levels of drunken-ness and suicide? Just a guess.

Animal rights.

Complicit in the exploitation of the indigenous Greenlandic population, by virtue of being an outpost of the Danish suppression of Inuit culture (read Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow if you really care).

Awful sweaters.

Brennivin.

Of course, since Iceland has no significant ethnic minorities you could view it as a homogenous paradise, or as the last place on earth capable of accepting outsiders. I wouldn't know.

Good answer, though. I hadn't thought of that one. :D
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'd just move to the Netherlands. At least there, one could just get stoned and ignore everything wrong with the place. (There must be something wrong with the place? Surely?)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:I'd just move to the Netherlands. At least there, one could just get stoned and ignore everything wrong with the place. (There must be something wrong with the place? Surely?)
If sea levels rise drastically, they'll be the first lot to know.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I can swim ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Didn't they come quite close to electing a fascist until someone shot him about three years ago? Pim Fortyne?

Amsterdam always strikes me as a hugely smug conservative city, bizarrely colonised by low-life backbackers desperately trying to live the dream of free drugs and sex on tap.

Can you swim while stoned? :wink:
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yes I'd remembered that Pim Fortyne bloke :|

I agree that there is something of the tourist-trap about Amsterdam; but it's not the only city in the country ;)

Swimming while stoned? I don't know. Never tried. Probably not an altogether good idea methinks.
—Bertrand Russell
Debaser
Overbomber

andymackem wrote:High levels of drunken-ness and suicide? Just a guess. Haven't got the money to get that drunk there (rather 'spensive by all accounts) and suicide? I'm too darned selfish to let 'em get away with not having to put up with me

Animal rights. ahem, I can hardly play that card

Complicit in the exploitation of the indigenous Greenlandic population, by virtue of being an outpost of the Danish suppression of Inuit culture (read Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow if you really care). if it means 'pastries, butter and lean back bacon' ...

Awful sweaters. flip flops, cardies and orange...need I say more?

Brennivin. got me stumped on that one

Of course, since Iceland has no significant ethnic minorities you could view it as a homogenous paradise, or as the last place on earth capable of accepting outsiders. I wouldn't know. it's got hot bubbly mud and springs, I hadn't looked further than those I'm afraid

Good answer, though. I hadn't thought of that one. :D
:D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nodubmanshouts wrote:Also, in the US hardly anyone on death row actually gets executed...
Sorry to drag this back to somewhere reminiscent of the original topic, but I dug up some figures prompted by seeing an article in the Metro newspaper in the loo in work:

According to Amnesty International, 59 people were executed in the USA in 2004, down from 65 in 2003. Not exactly "hardly anyone" :|

The 2003 figure; of the 65 executed in the US, 24 of them were executed in Texas. That well-known pro-lifer President G W Bush, as the previous Texas Governor, personally signed 152 death-warrants.

*Edit: Check facts first :roll:
—Bertrand Russell