What got you into the Sisters then?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
gudge
Road Kill

It was York Racecourse that got me involved in the live experience and this continued until the NEC gigs supported by Murder Inc.I missed out until Glasgow ABC last year.
Before York I had heard them but not bought anything.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

My older cousin was into Madness, Ultra Vox and a bunch of other stuff in the early 1980s. She always said I was a bit weird and (when I was about 10-11) she gave me a tape with a few songs on it and said it suited my 'bookish" :eek: style. A couple of years later she called me a goth.

I was utterly gobsmacked by the songs I heard - for the record my real name is Emma and she thought it was hilarious that the gothiest song Von did was a cover of Emma. Add to this my sisters name is Marian (no i am not making this up) and the fun just never stopped.

When I bought Floodland and heard it in its entirity for the first time I think I cried :oops:

At art school I had it on permenant rotation with FALAA in my studio and loved every second! Still do.
Bless!
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
keith's dad
Road Kill

heard them on john peel then saw them live but itwas shagging a fit goth (hard to believe but true) while reptile house was playing months later that really got me into them a result of this reptile house is still my fave
Bradford Massive
WolfLover
Road Kill

I was in a Virgin Megastore (yeah I know they suck :evil: ) in 2005 and I was looking for an old style gothic band similar to FoTN and I came across 'Greatest Hits & First & Last & Always :D and the rest is history. Although I do still regard FoTN as the superior band. :D
Veda
Road Kill

Absolutely when I saw them when I was a mere 12 in '85 with my older sister and her friends when we were living in SF.
psichonaut
Overbomber

when i was 14 old, in high school i knew a boy, 2 years older than me...i knew yet the cult and always listened to love and dreamtime.
sometimes we talked about goth music...in italy we called it DARK...he always dress dark too (goth), but not extreme...just like the sisters in FALA, and i was fascinated from him.
he took me to dark he gives me FALA and unknown pleasurs...and all started in search of new bands new albums...and in a part of my life really dark...dressing like wayne too
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
DJ Nephilimbabe
Road Kill

Like so many other people, Temple Of Love (82)really hit the spot with me.

I then went out and purchased The Reptile House Ep, which I hated at first, but would have to say is now my most played Ep to date.

I purchased vaious bootlegs before I ever purchased First & Last And Always, still the best one to this day, Disguised In Black together with a copy of Crypic Flowers, then immediately purchased Wake:Choruses From Under The Rock, then F&L&A!
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Veda wrote:Absolutely when I saw them when I was a mere 12 in '85 with my older sister and her friends when we were living in SF.
:notworthy: to your older sister and her friends.
DrG

My Sisters introduction...

This goes back to high school for me. My friends and I were into the alternative rock and club stuff around 1990 and so forth... especially the post-punk-emo-rock. Oddly enough, I loved the Cure and Pink Floyd back then... still do! Anyway... my buddy taped the show "120 Minutes" from MTV which played the More video. I hated it... he thought they were rather funny.

One night... chopping the branches off of a tree which had fallen in the back yard... I was listening to the local alternative radio station 90.5 WBER on my lovely little portable Panasonic. They played Ribbons... music sounds so incredible outside... I was hooked. :eek:

After seeing the Detonation Boulevard video, I had no choice but to buy Vision Thing and fall in love with the Sisters. You know the rest of the story... it is rather simple from there... they had a history and (at that young age) I ate it up!

CDs official and otherwise (good record shows in Buffalo NY!) now lost to time... sadly missed the nearby gig with Public Enemy... joined Heartland in 2005 (I think) after renewed interest via the 2005 Tour recordings released here and on dimeadozen.

I finally saw the Sisters in 2006 at the Kool Haus in Toronto... met fellow Heartlander Karst... had a blast! I'm still here... :wink:

Sorry so d*** long! ;D

DrG
Last edited by DrG on 15 Jun 2007, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
Edski
Road Kill

First heard them on John Peel Show on the radio playing Bodyelectric one fine evening back in '82 and had to go out and buy the single the next day!

First gig was at the Gallery in Manchester in '83 - me and Gripper and a "crowd" of about 60. Eldritch knew a guy I knew so we got to talk for 20 minutes before the show - I bought him drinks and he let me smoke his Marlboro - he autographed that packet which I kept for many years.

The conversation ended when I asked if he'd sell me the backdrop they had on stage... [the one you can see behind him in the Agent Orange pic in the imagebank]
Last edited by Edski on 15 Jun 2007, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Spiggy's hat

gudge wrote:It was York Racecourse that got me involved in the live experience Before York I had heard them but not bought anything.
Ditto, I suppose that I got into them at York by accident.

I was 14 and went to the York festival with my older brother & some of his friends. We were all fans of Echo & The Bunnymen & Spear of Destiny and that's who we were there to see.
As it happened I was blown away by The Chameleons & The Sisters, both of whom I had never heard of prior to that day. 23 years later and those two bands are probably my favorite bands of all time. A lucky accident. :D
Give me one good reason
Veda
Road Kill

Edski wrote:The conversation ended when I asked if he'd sell me the backdrop they had on stage... [the one you can see behind him in the Agent Orange pic in the imagebank]
What happened, did he get abrupt or what? I've met him and overall he was surprisingly thoughtful and pleasant and unlike his public persona.
Edski
Road Kill

Veda wrote:
Edski wrote:The conversation ended when I asked if he'd sell me the backdrop they had on stage... [the one you can see behind him in the Agent Orange pic in the imagebank]
What happened, did he get abrupt or what? I've met him and overall he was surprisingly thoughtful and pleasant and unlike his public persona.
No - I think he was just amused at the audacity of the question - he went "Hah!", shook his head, then walked away. I thought it was a really cool response at the time. To be honest, he'd already been called to go on stage so it was kind of a parting shot from me.

I didn't expect him to say yes and Lord only knows how I'd have (a) paid for it, and (b) got the darn thing home anyway, it was about 10 foot wide and rolled around what looked like a scaffolding pipe!

I agree with your description of him - on the odd occasion I've spoken to him he was always thoughtful and kind - I guess his attitude depends on his mood that day - and how you approach him...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Twas watching them support the Psychedelic Furs in the Riley Smith Hall in early October 1982 during my Freshers Week at Leeds Uni, followed by twenty-several nights in the Fav.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Veda
Road Kill

Edski wrote:
Veda wrote:
No - I think he was just amused at the audacity of the question - he went "Hah!", shook his head, then walked away. I thought it was a really cool response at the time. To be honest, he'd already been called to go on stage so it was kind of a parting shot from me.

I didn't expect him to say yes and Lord only knows how I'd have (a) paid for it, and (b) got the darn thing home anyway, it was about 10 foot wide and rolled around what looked like a scaffolding pipe!

I agree with your description of him - on the odd occasion I've spoken to him he was always thoughtful and kind - I guess his attitude depends on his mood that day - and how you approach him...
Yup, that would likely account for those who had a sour opinion of him. Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting much because of his image and reputation and the things I had heard but he was one of my favorite musicians who fortunately did not live up to that.
taylor
Slight Overbomber

past week , after listening home of hitmen to the barber shop radio
samisister
Road Kill

When everybody loved Nirvana, i went for Sisters.

Saw Temple of Love video from MTV Europe when i was 25. And immediately hooked up. Thanks Ofra and Andrew.
Veda
Road Kill

DrG wrote:My Sisters introduction...

This goes back to high school for me. My friends and I were into the alternative rock and club stuff around 1990 and so forth... es
ohhhhhh ahhhhhh lots great times at alterna rock clubs from mid 80's on when I started going clubs(yup thing were lax then), sometimes me and my girlfriends would hang round outside or wander round thevicinity and ask dudes if we could join them or they wanted to club with us so we didn't have to pay nothing for nothing and if he they wasn't hot or we didn't feel like doing nothing we would do the ditcheroo and sometimes things got awkward got messy but it was a helluva time and the Sis and lots other alterna music provided the fine soundtrack of those mad wonderful heady years.

I'ma bit tipsy so forgive me I wrong could've sworn there was more pages here they disappear
home of the hitmen
Road Kill

on highschool some 21 years ago I was given a tape which contained all the 12" and First & Last & Always..........so started with the best of them, and since then..................sold!!
Nienna
Road Kill

My friend told me about the Sisters so I borrowed SGWBM and loved it! The first song I listened to was Alice and I remember that I was really impressed by Eldritch's voice and the bass line... :lol:

When I got the DVD with some videos and bought FALAA, I realised that the Sisters are one of the best bands ever and that I really like them... so I bought Floodland... and Vision Thing... A Slight Case of Overbombing... basically everything they've ever released. I also armed myself with dozens of pics and interviews and that's it - the Sisters are the band of my life, they're taking up most of the space on my mp3 player and shelves with CDs... ;D
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

It's an affy long thread, anyone mentioned drugs yet?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's in the dim and distant past, but I'm pretty sure I discovered The Sisters and drugs independently of one another. I would guess that I probably would have sampled various recreational pharmaceuticals with or without any "input" from (for example) Amphetamine Logic ;)

The usual disclaimer: As a moderator of Heartland, I must make it clear that HL staff in no way condone the taking of illegal substances. Any fun you have is entirely at your own risk. :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I was talking lemsip

Honestly, some people.... :innocent: :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Of course you were.

Actually, I can say from experience that snorting a couple of lines of Lemsip is quite a trip. If you define a trip a "waking up 12 hours later having p!ssed yourself" :lol:

I hasten to add that I didn't know it was Lemsip until the "chemist" concerned confessed. ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock