have the sisters turned s**t

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

Just gonna jump in here and say that of course the new songs are not the best that they can be.

There are a number of reasons for this.

For a very large part, we are comparing songs that exist in fully realised studio versions with songs that have only ever been heard live. This is definitely not an "apples with apples" scenario.

With the FALAA songs, most of them were not played live before they were finalised in the studio. Of those that were, or at least were reasonably contemporary in both incarnations, the studio versions are remarkably similar to the live versions. But check the live versions of tracks like Stranger, Nine While Nine, Possession, etc vs their live incarnations.

With Floodland, check TC studio vs TC live - biiiiiig difference. Dominion and Lucretia are less so, but it's still there and still very noticeable.

Also, it's always been a part of the Sisters manifesto that live and studio are 2 completely different mediums (media?), so this is only to be expected.

So I don't really think it's fair to judge the new songs until such a time as we can hear fully realised studio versions of them.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

mh wrote:So I don't really think it's fair to judge the new songs until such a time as we can hear fully realised studio versions of them.
Do you think that's ever likely to happen?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

PipoTheClown wrote:Just out of curiosity: you think the new songs are the best they can be?
Hard to tell until you've heard properly produced studio versions. Some of them have huge potential : We are the same, Susanne, Crash and burn, War on drugs...
I won't be silly and say it's the best Sisters songs ever, but there is potential there.

Edit : Mark, we may have an issue there. :lol:

Edit (bis) : Maybe the problem is that the Sisters are now more potential than actual achievement. :?
Last edited by Badlander on 30 May 2007, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:
mh wrote:So I don't really think it's fair to judge the new songs until such a time as we can hear fully realised studio versions of them.
Do you think that's ever likely to happen?
Maybe someday, about 10 years after they finally knock it on the head and the "great unreleased tapes" or something like that surface.

Otherwise, nope.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
nitestorm
Road Kill

If you can get three people on stage, to sound like a 128+ channel recording studio, then show me that band...... because i am working on some music that i wrote with friends years ago, so for this argument, one channel is the same as one band member, i have to sing (one channel), do backing (two channels) Play bass (three channels) Play lead (four channels) Play rythem <-bad spelling (five channels) Program drums (one channel for each drum) Play keys (32nd channel) oops, i ran outta band members... the polyphonic spree got their sound with lots of members..... I know why they sound like a three piece.
Not as good as Motorhead, but better than The Birthday Party, which makes us pretty damn good.
James Blast
Banned

no, just some bad whitebread gospel choir
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nitestorm
Road Kill

but whet i was getting at was, if you want a big noise, have a big group/band/popular beat combo.
listen to the mi55ion, they still sound bad, worse than they ever did, and they got loadsa members.
Pink floyd have tapes, drummer, another drummer, guitarist, another guitarist, keyboards, another keyboard(ist), three 'backing' singers, and a bassist, just to make them sound like a record.
Not as good as Motorhead, but better than The Birthday Party, which makes us pretty damn good.
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Motorhead have three members. They have a big sound and sound as good live if not better than on record.

The Kills have two members, they sound better live than on record.

Guy Davis is solo. He's a blues player and sounds better live than on record. He sings, plays lead and bass at the same time on his guitar, uses taps on his feet and plays harmonica. His sound is huge live.

There are loads of examples of bands sounding as good/ better live with few members.

The Sisters Of Mercy now have some of the sound on tape to help them when they play live, yet they're still a terrible live band these days.

That's what happens when:
a/ your voice is f**ked
b/ you hire the cheapest band possible

Number of band members has nothing to do with it.
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
robertzombie
Overbomber

nitestorm wrote:listen to the mi55ion, they still sound bad, worse than they ever did, and they got loadsa members.
Sorry but The Mission were rocking my socks off about four hours ago, they have four people in the band and they sound fantastic live.

Wayne: "Can you hear us?"
:lol:
hellboy69

amen to that zombie, they sounded fantastic last night, especially that there bass geetar.
doctoravalanche

biggy wrote:The Sisters Of Mercy now have some of the sound on tape to help them when they play live, yet they're still a terrible live band these days.
That's what happens when:
a/ your voice is f**ked
b/ you hire the cheapest band possible
I would rather say that their sound engineer is crap and that's the biggest problem for the Sisters nowadays when they play live ...
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: So I don't really think it's fair to judge the new songs until such a time as we can hear fully realised studio versions of them.
Ok, that might be true. Me thinks that mr. E had had PLENTY of time
creating at least one fully realised studio version and releasing that
on the official web site. I suspect that he lacks creativity, or creative
compagnions or he is just lazy. BTW: I suspect both!
Axe FX - Fractal Adidio
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

i totally love the sisters.. their singels periode 81-85 was their best.. the other cd's have some nice material, but i miss a lot of the originality of their unreleased stuff in it.. it seemed that as of 85 they stopped making demo's, which is a shame..

for the new stuff.. there are some pretty sweet songs inthere (crash and burn) and some of the edited older songs they play these days have a bigger rock 'n roll feel to them imo.. (cfr. that incredibly mean version of flood they played in brussels may 2006)
if they release a cd now with all their new stuff it could be their best cd imo.. depending on how they would record the studio versions (hopefully not too clean, as i always prefered the live stuff over the clean versions)
btw: under the gun is a fine song.. they have worse :p
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
psichonaut
Overbomber

so i love SOM...BUT I PREFERE their first album,old live shows and ep...and i think they were goth...now they are lost....but never s**t
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

TSOM aren't even worthy of being called a pub band, their live shows have gotten so bad. I remember being floored when I saw a live show from 1983 on YouTube and it had to be one of the greatest performances I had ever seen. I have to agree then that TSOM hit their peak around 1983 as a live band.

When I first got Floodland, I considered it a masterwork - and I still do - but now I generally go through phases where I listen to FALAA and SBWBM or SGWBM. I seldom listen to anything from the Vision Thing era onward, although I do like 'Ribbons', 'I Was Wrong', 'Susanne' and 'Summer'.
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

weebleswobble wrote:
psichonaut wrote:
_emma_ wrote: Except YCBTO.
what's YCBTO?
A Pile of Pish :innocent:
Aye ! :notworthy:

I would argue in a way :von: had painted himself into corner all three albums are great examples of each of the genres and really can't be topped. My thoughts about VT notwithstanding you certainly can make the argument it's a decent "rock" album and better then most out there.

As to where :von: goes from here is question I can't find an answer to. He's said the record companies would love him to keep doing Floodland 2, 3, etc...

Except that's not the point in his eyes he's done the best he can at that genre and to continue in the same way is not something :von: would bother doing.

Besides if he did I think a lot of us would lose interest to be honest, but somehow too I can't help but feel like I'm the punchline to the joke "How do you keep a sister's fan in suspense"

:oops:
End of line.
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

spot778 wrote: Besides if he did I think a lot of us would lose interest to be honest
To be honest Dear Spot, you've hit the nail on the head. As as been posted on various threads ... we're all losing interest. Fab that the kiddies are discovering a 'new' band but ultimately pointless.

There's cheaper pub bands. :wink:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
James Blast
Banned

Yeah, time has come.

the joke isn't funny anymore :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Bahamas
Road Kill

I am really sorry to hear that. I have been a fan for a while. Not as long as some of you. I did see about four or five nights of the last tour. I have witnessed seeing the sisters playing to smaller and smaller venues over the years. It really hit home for me how far the sister’s stock has devalued when I went to a Muse gig last year.
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

f*ck. my opinion. I love them. Start to learn all about them about a yar ago. I was a sissi that only knew them from FALAA and the stuff befre. During the last year i got to appreciate the girls throug the years for what they are. At this moment i can even agree with the 2007 setlist from spain. What's this big issue. If you don't like them , :evil: :evil: just don't bother to go an see them. If you do like them, don't bother with what you'd like to see or hear, just be glad to be of the happy few that got to see them in 2007. A gig is only as good as you wan't it to be, says the 40 year old guy. Looking for a 1985 or 1991 or 1996 gig, get a life. it's not going to happen but in the mean time enjoy what you get or ..... go and see something else :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

no mean to harm any of with this. Just wa,ted to get get it out of my ...system :roll: :roll: :roll:
MUSICA È
James Blast
Banned

I think the cessation of calling them 'The Sissies' and/or 'The Girls' would be a start.

just my view :|
~ Peter Steele
psichonaut
Overbomber

stefan moermans wrote:f*ck. my opinion. I love them. Start to learn all about them about a yar ago. I was a sissi that only knew them from FALAA and the stuff befre. During the last year i got to appreciate the girls throug the years for what they are. At this moment i can even agree with the 2007 setlist from spain. What's this big issue. If you don't like them , :evil: :evil: just don't bother to go an see them. If you do like them, don't bother with what you'd like to see or hear, just be glad to be of the happy few that got to see them in 2007. A gig is only as good as you wan't it to be, says the 40 year old guy. Looking for a 1985 or 1991 or 1996 gig, get a life. it's not going to happen but in the mean time enjoy what you get or ..... go and see something else :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

no mean to harm any of with this. Just wa,ted to get get it out of my ...system :roll: :roll: :roll:
and there is somebody who never see them in concert....
James Blast
Banned

psichonaut wrote:and there is somebody who never see them in concert....
Oh! you should, they really are average...
~ Peter Steele
biggy

James Blast wrote:
hahahaha - on a good night.
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
psichonaut
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
then i'm lucky to have some good bootleg