Isn't Floodland one of the best albums ever?!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i'm not one for comparisons, but it's pretty damn good.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
sisterstekland
Slight Overbomber

NO, No and no, "Vision Thing" is the best album :von:
Silver_Owl
The Don

sisterstekland wrote:NO, No and no, "Vision Thing" is the best album :von:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Ahem. I actually think it is the best that :von: and the gals have come up with. Lyrically it's great with some damn fine toons also. :D
The Chancer Corporation
Silver_Owl
The Don

abridged wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
Ahem. I actually think it is the best that :von: and the gals have come up with. Lyrically it's great with some damn fine toons also. :D
I repeat; :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:
abridged wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I repeat; :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D
It's got 'I was Wrong' on it! Which if it was the only thing :von: ever did would merit immortality in my book. Ah it'll be re-evaluated in a few years you'll see! Mystic Greg here! ;D Floodland is a bit of ok as they say though! :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
psichonaut
Overbomber

...and i'm still selling the a never played original first edition copy of Floodland
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
James Blast
Banned

Shite! I played mine twice.

then I didn't bother
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Camy
Road Kill

Yes.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Have to say that as an "early" Sisters fan - I distinctly remember the absolute sense of anticipation and thrill at the announcement in NME of a new Sisters record - I do love Floodland as it crosses from that initial sound that we grew up on - Alice, Heartland, Body Electric and developed it into a real band sound - more rock, but also with more 'heart' to it. When VT came out I wasn't impressed (at first) - it just didn't sound like the Sisters to me any more. Obviously I came round and saw it for the natural progression it was - and it still seems more like the Sisters we see today than any of their other recordings.
Floodland has some great moments, but I'm also not a huge fan of This Corrosion - I agree that it would have made a better standalone single. I think some of the songs that the Sisters play live would have fitted well onto Floodland - 'Arms' in particular.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

For me, all the albums are sublime, I could never choose between 'em. And This Corrosion rocks, good sirs. Rocks hard.
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
halfjobbob
Road Kill

'Never Land' loud, at night, once the sun ha gone down, for me is tremendous. The long version mind, not the wee short one.
bearskin

halfjobbob wrote:'Never Land' loud, at night, once the sun ha gone down, for me is tremendous. The long version mind, not the wee short one.
Yup, an awesome tune. Why they put the short thing out is beyond me...
bearskin

Machine Regime wrote:And This Corrosion rocks, good sirs. Rocks hard.
I still think of it as a piece of pop music. Can't say it fits into my idea of 'Rock'. The whole "hey hey" bits of it get on my nerves.

Now, I was playing Temple of Love very loud the other day, for the first time in a wee while, and because it is so familiar, I had forgotten just what a riff monster it is. That rocks.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

bearskin wrote:
halfjobbob wrote:'Never Land' loud, at night, once the sun ha gone down, for me is tremendous. The long version mind, not the wee short one.
Yup, an awesome tune. Why they put the short thing out is beyond me...
It's covered somewhere else on the forum. Can't remember where but, from memory, the long version didn't exist at the time of the original release but was assembled from various demos for the remaster. Someone correct me if I've misremembered that.
circle
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

bearskin wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:And This Corrosion rocks, good sirs. Rocks hard.
I still think of it as a piece of pop music. Can't say it fits into my idea of 'Rock'. The whole "hey hey" bits of it get on my nerves.

Now, I was playing Temple of Love very loud the other day, for the first time in a wee while, and because it is so familiar, I had forgotten just what a riff monster it is. That rocks.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Couldn't have put it better!
darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com