The new Dr Who, what do you think?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

spot778 wrote:Meh he's a lobbist against same sex marriage.

Written him off
Is he? :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:
spot778 wrote:Meh he's a lobbist against same sex marriage.

Written him off
Is he? :?
Nope. Some of the touchier gays just read a few paragraphs in "Unseen Academicals" as being anti-gay. Can you seriously imagine Terry giving a damn who marries what?
My only gripe with him is he won't write any more Lancre stories. I just started to like Agnes, and I miss Nanny Ogg.:(

Curiously, some of the more recent Doctor Who outings have seemed like Pratchett but without the humour or likable characters.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote: Can you seriously imagine Terry giving a damn who marries what?
Nope.

Thought it must be bollocks, thanks for the clarification DeWinter.

(And I still haven't read Unseen Academicals...)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Europa
Amphetamine Filth

I haven't managed to get into Unseen Academicals. But some more Esme Weatherwax please..... :(
Om began to feel the acute depression that steals over every realist in the presence of an optimist.
DeWinter

Europa wrote:I haven't managed to get into Unseen Academicals. But some more Esme Weatherwax please..... :(
Someone on here told me that Pratchett believed he'd taken Esme as far as he could, so she'd be only used as a cameo. Re-reading Carpe Jugulum, her whole "Will I go dark?" storyline is kind of ended when she isn't burned by the phoenix flames, showing there's no evil in her.

As for Doctor Who..to be honest, they've played fair, and there's a reason we're on Season 5 rather than Season 30 of the series. It's a lot more a re-imagining than the same show. But for those of us who were hoping for the old show with decent special effects, it has been a bit disappointing.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
DeWinter wrote: Can you seriously imagine Terry giving a damn who marries what?
Nope.

Thought it must be bollocks, thanks for the clarification DeWinter.

(And I still haven't read Unseen Academicals...)

I have... I didn't read anything anti gay in it - where is this supposed reference.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
DeWinter

It doesn't rightly exist. As I say you need to be one of those people deliberately looking to be offended, but it's the few lines mentioning the divorce case involving Professor Macarone(sp?) that got the more hysterical queens heckles up. Implied gay/bi guy breaks up marriage/ author is implying gay men are a threat to "the family"/author favours traditional family/author is against same sex marriage/ author is bigot. :roll:
Big Si
School Bully

DeWinter wrote:
Europa wrote:I haven't managed to get into Unseen Academicals. But some more Esme Weatherwax please..... :(
Someone on here told me that Pratchett believed he'd taken Esme as far as he could, so she'd be only used as a cameo.
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
DeWinter

Big Si wrote: Image
Correction:
Big Si told me that Pratchett believed he'd taken Esme as far as he could, so she'd be only used as a cameo. :lol:
Big Si
School Bully

scotty wrote:Just read all the really very deep, articulate and extremely thought provoking posts on this thread that I started and is now on its 5th page, I must admit that the thread has gone further than I expected, I sense a really deep seated love/appreciation for the Dr Who franchise, not surprising really as it spans many generations, Ive always thought of it as just light entertainment and just let it wash over me really, but if I might take this thread back in the direction I thought it would go.
I'd still really like to shag that slutty ginger burd ;D ;D ;D , as you were. :von:
You liked my posts then :wink: ;D

http://karengillan.webs.com/apps/photos ... d=45822318
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Tonights episode was a cracker. Acting wasn't important, effects weren't important or evident, just a good story and a couple of laughs. About time too.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Pat wrote:Tonights episode was a cracker. Acting wasn't important, effects weren't important or evident, just a good story and a couple of laughs. About time too.
Aye, nicely done. :D

I thought the episode with the Dream Lord was also pretty good, and the Silurian episodes were decent enough, although Rory's death lacked the pathos of Adric's death.
The "he's never existed, so Amy need not spend the rest of the season grieving" was a bit of a cop out, if perhaps necessary to keep the story arc moving.
I just hope they have the courage to leave him dead and avoid some sort of big happy ending for the season finale.

The teaser for the next episode also looks promising...
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
DeWinter

Warming to Matt Smith quite a lot, he'll never approach Colin Baker or Jon Pertwee to me, but he's at least developed his own personality instead of "Matt Smith playing David Tennant" which I was expecting. Plus he does far less irritating emo whinging.

Still at a loss as to who the "Big Bad" is, unless it's a totally new character, which would be no bad thing. Wouldn't mind seeing Omega again.

But..

Amy Pond is frigging annoying. Yes she has nice legs, but she's a total shrew! There hasn't been a companion I havent wanted to either slap (Tegan, Ace, Peri, Captain Jackass) or has the acting talent of a wooden plank (Billy Piper, Freema Agyeman, Bonnie Langford) since Nyssa of Traken.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote: Still at a loss as to who the "Big Bad" is, unless it's a totally new character, which would be no bad thing. Wouldn't mind seeing Omega again.

Against the odds, I'm putting my money on the Valeyard.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
DeWinter

Erudite wrote: Against the odds, I'm putting my money on the Valeyard.
Might be a bit more likely than Omega, after that Dream Lord episode.. :|
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

It's a f**king ging-a invasion
:lol:

The bit at the end when they took Van the Man to the gallery was brilliant.

:notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

DeWinter wrote:
Erudite wrote: Against the odds, I'm putting my money on the Valeyard.
Might be a bit more likely than Omega, after that Dream Lord episode.. :|
Nah, that's their token gesture towards the Old Continuity. Look at the reimagining of the Silurians, the Daleks, probably the Cybermen...the Big Bad will either be a massive reinvention or something completely new.

And computer-generated.

And crap.

And ginger.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

timsinister wrote:
And ginger.
with any luck ya c**t :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
hellboy69

Ecclestone on why he left 'Who ~
Former 'Doctor Who' star Christopher Eccleston has finally spoken out about quitting his role as the ninth Time Lord.

The actor, who appeared in the long-running sci-fi show back in 2005 when it was revamped, told the Radio Times that he only starred in 'Doctor Who' for one series because he wasn't happy with the working conditions.

He said: "I was open-minded but I decided after my experience on the first series that I didn't want to do any more. I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in. I wasn't comfortable. I thought, 'If I stay in this job, I'm going to have to blind myself to certain things that I thought were wrong.'

"And I think it's more important to be your own man than be successful, so I left. But the most important thing is that I did it, not that I left. I really feel that, because it kind of broke the mould and it helped to reinvent it. I'm very proud of it."

The BBC issued an apology to Eccleston after initially announcing that his reason for quitting was that he had found the series gruelling and feared being typecast, as the Corporation hadn't spoken to the actor before releasing the statement.

The 46-year-old will soon be starring as John Lennon in a BBC Four biopic.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/news-extra/artic ... r-who.html
The last sentence explains the motivation behind this clarification :innocent:
DeWinter

timsinister wrote:
DeWinter wrote: Nah, that's their token gesture towards the Old Continuity. Look at the reimagining of the Silurians, the Daleks, probably the Cybermen...the Big Bad will either be a massive reinvention or something completely new.

And computer-generated.

And crap.

And ginger.
It's The Doctor, judging by the blub for The Pandorica Opens. "A goblin, a trickster, a warrior"? Some weird future version of him, most likely.

Read an article with John Simm saying he'll come back to film a regeneration story for his version of The Master with Matt Smith. Who would you replace him with if you got to have the choice?
sam1

Read an article with John Simm saying he'll come back to film a regeneration story for his version of The Master with Matt Smith. Who would you replace him with if you got to have the choice?
if you forget his stand up---Eddie Izzard, watch him on the remake of Day of the Triffids and you might see a good "The Master"
DeWinter

sam1 wrote: if you forget his stand up---Eddie Izzard, watch him on the remake of Day of the Triffids and you might see a good "The Master"

Hmm. Not the first name to pop into my head, I've got to say, but he can act, much to my original surprise. The names that float around in my mind tend to be Richard E Grant and Anthony Head.
theparadox2010
Amphetamine Filth

Davros could be the Master, as a regeneration can only be into a living thing!!
we're better than the birthday party, but not as good as motorhead, that makes us pretty damn good!!!!
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

DeWinter wrote:
sam1 wrote: if you forget his stand up---Eddie Izzard, watch him on the remake of Day of the Triffids and you might see a good "The Master"

Hmm. Not the first name to pop into my head, I've got to say, but he can act, much to my original surprise. The names that float around in my mind tend to be Richard E Grant and Anthony Head.
REG voiced an alternate Ninth Doctor for the Shalka animated webcast, and Anthony Head was the Headmaster in 'School Reunion' with Tennant's Tenth. It's rare for actors to play two separate characters (but not impossible, see Colin Baker).

I'd like to get Richard Armitage in to be a new Master. I think he's young and hunky (according to Oor Lass) enough to appease the youngsters, but dark and intimidating enough to honour Delgado and Ainley...
DeWinter

I was thinking the guy who played Lord Ravensworth in the Sherlock Holmes movie/Septimus in Stardust. .

Anyway, hands up who didn't guess what was going to be in The Pandorica? Pretty obvious. But that creepy "Silence will fall.." voice I have no idea about. Dream Lord/Valeyard?