Who are the best Sisters substitute?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
susky
Road Kill

This post has me dragging out lots of early 90's goth stuff that was coming out on Cleopatra, etc. Still have all the cds here. Man, Cleopatra was churning it out back then, eh? Wonder what happened with that label? Anyway, lots of this stuff VERY inspired by the Sisters. I was gobbling this stuff up in 1993, 1994. Cool to hear it again tonight....

The Wake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPgLSwJuqk

Rosetta Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CtDErVTsoA

Nosferatu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRr28BV_ckk

The Rosetta Stone vid took me back in time. Man, they're all decked out in that vid, eh? I remember Rosetta Stone played nyc in 1994 as part of the "Procession" tour. I couldn't get a ride from way out here in bumblefuck but some friends of mine made it out. Upon return from the show my friends were all sorts of upset cuz the Rosetta Stone guys came out on stage (as my friends described it) "in f**king velvet sweatpants and sneakers". :lol: They were expecting something like the vid! The Adrenalized LP (which the track above was taken from) was good, but I always preferred the Foundation Stones thing that Cleopatra put out which was a collection of their demos from 1988, 1989. I think I bought that Tyranny of Inaction CD but can't remember anything about it at the moment. Never heard anything else after that.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

susky wrote:This post has me dragging out lots of early 90's goth stuff that was coming out on Cleopatra, etc. Still have all the cds here. Man, Cleopatra was churning it out back then, eh? Wonder what happened with that label? Anyway, lots of this stuff VERY inspired by the Sisters. I was gobbling this stuff up in 1993, 1994. Cool to hear it again tonight....

The Wake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPgLSwJuqk

Rosetta Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CtDErVTsoA

Nosferatu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRr28BV_ckk

The Rosetta Stone vid took me back in time. Man, they're all decked out in that vid, eh? I remember Rosetta Stone played nyc in 1994 as part of the "Procession" tour. I couldn't get a ride from way out here in bumblefuck but some friends of mine made it out. Upon return from the show my friends were all sorts of upset cuz the Rosetta Stone guys came out on stage (as my friends described it) "in f**king velvet sweatpants and sneakers". :lol: They were expecting something like the vid! The Adrenalized LP (which the track above was taken from) was good, but I always preferred the Foundation Stones thing that Cleopatra put out which was a collection of their demos from 1988, 1989. I think I bought that Tyranny of Inaction CD but can't remember anything about it at the moment. Never heard anything else after that.
My favorite track on Tyranny of Inaction is "Spoiler" which I believe the lyrics can be applied to many of the threads in Sisters chat.

miserylab is Porl's solo output since about 2007 and his latest from miserylab is called "From Which No Light Escapes" a d is seriously worth the purchase and you would probably like it bunches. :)
"... because we're that kind of people."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Whenever I saw Rosetta Stone they were always dressed exactly as in that video! :lol:

Gosh Porl was pretty back then, eh! Mind, he still brushes up quite well IMO.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Sita

Back in the 90s some friends in the US had their CD out on Cleopatra. Or, quite a few, actually. I still have them somewhere. I didn't know the label was famous, or infamous :wink: But I'm not gonna recommend that band as Sisters substitutes - or maybe they are - I should go and have a listen again :lol:
paul
Overbomber

Nosferatu are cool !!!
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Whenever I saw Rosetta Stone they were always dressed exactly as in that video! :lol:

Same here! I saw them a few times,often by accident,including the time they played The Mish fanclub gig in Sheffield,and once supporting Danielle Dax at Rock City,despite being a big fan,the first I knew they were playing was when I saw their t shirts on the merch stand.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Dan
Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote:Same here! I saw them a few times,often by accident,including the time they played The Mish fanclub gig in Sheffield
You managed to see their whole set? Security was so strict on the way in which slowed everyone down and so I only saw their last 3 songs. :lol:

Umm, why is everyone looking for a Sisters substitute anyway. If you want to listen to the Sisters, listen to the Sisters, if you want to listen to something else then listen to something else (it's what I've been doing for years!) :lol:
Years ago someone once gave me a tape with 2 bands on it, one each side of the tape, with the comment "Listen to this, (band on side a) sound *JUST* like the Sisters, and (band on side b) sound *JUST* like Fields Of The Nephilim". I listened to side a and it was utter pish, and I think I managed to stomach 1 song from side b before turning it off. Poor derivative trash. I didn't understand then why you'd want a poor copy when you could listen to the original.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Dan wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:Same here! I saw them a few times,often by accident,including the time they played The Mish fanclub gig in Sheffield
You managed to see their whole set? Security was so strict on the way in which slowed everyone down and so I only saw their last 3 songs. :lol:

Aye,saw the whole set,they were much better than a couple of other bands on the bill,Claytown Troupe were s**t,and my t shirt from the gig mentions The Vaynes but I cannot recall them at all :lol:
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Dan
Overbomber

The Vaynes were on after The m*****n's 1st set and before Claytown Troupe.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Prescott wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:
Prescott wrote: "And some might say I'm growing cold,
Or maybe I've been sold to a dream,
Some might trust you what you've told,
But anyway to me you're too, serene."

"This is the time of tension, between dying and birth,
While blood is sowing the sandy earth.
This is the time of tension, when you starve
While you eat - this is the time of the heat."
That's... pretty terrible, actually. Really.
Sita wrote:I didn't even know bands like that existed. You all made me curious so I searched them on youtube. Good grief :lol: I'm not even judging the lyrics, but come on, the song starts with a First and Last and Always riff ripoff, then a pseudo Eldritch voice kicks in, and you see an insect and a zombie or something on a chain. It's hard to define quality, but I know crap when I see it.
That just about nails it. It's derivative to the point of being horrifying; it's imitation without anything else being brought to the party. On the other hand, at least no one is trying to claim that they're actually the Sisters in disguise...
The stupid video on YouTube was not made by the band!

You dismissed those lyrics out of hand without so much as the most basic critical analysis.

You have always had an agenda and your last comment proves it. Why are you going out of your way to dissuade people from checking out The Merry Thoughts? Got a bone to pick?
An "agenda"? Simmer down. I have an opinion you disagree with, and I have expressed it. That qualifies as an agenda? I happen to think that such blatant artistic imitation is contemptible. It's crap. Some people like crap. That's their prerogative. Some people don't like crap. That's their prerogative too. Some people express opinions about crap. Some people can't recognize crap. It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round.

And why should I waste my time on critical analysis of garbage? It's not like this is the first time I've ever heard the band. The lyrics are largely a shallow recycling of tropes from Von's own work.

Influence is one thing. Imitation is another. Rosetta Stone, I think, was too heavily influenced by TSOM, but they rise above mere imitation, which makes them vastly better than this other band.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Prescott

sultan2075 wrote:
Prescott wrote:
sultan2075 wrote: That's... pretty terrible, actually. Really.
That just about nails it. It's derivative to the point of being horrifying; it's imitation without anything else being brought to the party. On the other hand, at least no one is trying to claim that they're actually the Sisters in disguise...
The stupid video on YouTube was not made by the band!

You dismissed those lyrics out of hand without so much as the most basic critical analysis.

You have always had an agenda and your last comment proves it. Why are you going out of your way to dissuade people from checking out The Merry Thoughts? Got a bone to pick?
An "agenda"? Simmer down. I have an opinion you disagree with, and I have expressed it. That qualifies as an agenda? I happen to think that such blatant artistic imitation is contemptible. It's crap. Some people like crap. That's their prerogative. Some people don't like crap. That's their prerogative too. Some people express opinions about crap. Some people can't recognize crap. It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round.

And why should I waste my time on critical analysis of garbage? It's not like this is the first time I've ever heard the band. The lyrics are largely a shallow recycling of tropes from Von's own work.

Influence is one thing. Imitation is another. Rosetta Stone, I think, was too heavily influenced by TSOM, but they rise above mere imitation, which makes them vastly better than this other band.
I love people who pretend that exclaiming that something is "crap" is less a waste of time than giving solid reasons for thinking so. Obviously a constructive conversation about The Merry Thoughts is impossible with you.
Convictions are worth more than opinions. Opinions do not require reasons while beliefs and convictions do.

The rift. The rift between family and it's influence on the musicians and lyricists at hand. The use of extrapolation, the use of mimicry to expose and renounce. The ideological differences between people that have grown so far apart. The unveiling of true personages through assumed characters and false identities.

A war. Of words and borrowed bits of old poetry used against one another.

The use of another's vocation that hides their true vocation from the public against them.

I'm talking about songs wielded like swords and guns and finally ICMBs.

But I guess either you just don't understand, or you do and don't want anyone else to.
Sita

Dan wrote:

Umm, why is everyone looking for a Sisters substitute anyway. If you want to listen to the Sisters, listen to the Sisters, if you want to listen to something else then listen to something else (it's what I've been doing for years!) :lol:
Years ago someone once gave me a tape with 2 bands on it, one each side of the tape, with the comment "Listen to this, (band on side a) sound *JUST* like the Sisters, and (band on side b) sound *JUST* like Fields Of The Nephilim". I listened to side a and it was utter pish, and I think I managed to stomach 1 song from side b before turning it off. Poor derivative trash. I didn't understand then why you'd want a poor copy when you could listen to the original.
Now this is in a different field of music, but among other musicians I also love Madonna :oops: very much and so does a colleague of mine. But the funny thing is, she always plays obscure versions of Madonna songs to me, by some studio singers I don't even know, and says "listen! Isn't this version of Holiday much better than the original? She sings so much better than Madonna!" It just mystifies me. Of course she is right, Madonna can't sing (and so can't Eldritch, technically). But still :eek:
The only explanation I have is... none to be honest :lol: :wink: ;D
sultan2075
Overbomber

Prescott wrote:
I love people who pretend that exclaiming that something is "crap" is less a waste of time than giving solid reasons for thinking so. Obviously a constructive conversation about The Merry Thoughts is impossible with you.
Convictions are worth more than opinions. Opinions do not require reasons while beliefs and convictions do.

The rift. The rift between family and it's influence on the musicians and lyricists at hand. The use of extrapolation, the use of mimicry to expose and renounce. The ideological differences between people that have grown so far apart. The unveiling of true personages through assumed characters and false identities.

The use of another's vocation that hides their true vocation from the public against them.

But I guess either you just don't understand, or you do and don't want anyone else to.
Look, I just don't think they're very good. There're a million-and-one bands who do straight Ramones rip-off too. I don't think they're very good either. I like originality--either stylistically or in terms of just writing good songs. You're asking me to make a moral case for originality, I guess?

But you seem to have a lot invested in this. Sorry if my comments bothered you.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Prescott

sultan2075 wrote:
Prescott wrote:

Look, I just don't think they're very good. There're a million-and-one bands who do straight Ramones rip-off too. I don't think they're very good either. I like originality--either stylistically or in terms of just writing good songs. You're asking me to make a moral case for originality, I guess?

But you seem to have a lot invested in this. Sorry if my comments bothered you.
Okay then.
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2UMoSinfVw

More of a FOTN substitute I suppose ("In ecstaSEEH"?), but still....great tune. No idea what the hell he's singing about, and everything else I heard by them I thought was s**t, but this one track is tearin'. Brilliant propulsive bass and textural guitars in the "TRUE DARK" style
UtterlyBastardGroovy
Road Kill

I always rather liked Suspiria for giving me something Sistersish but different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRuaoF-WqhU
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

UtterlyBastardGroovy wrote:I always rather liked Suspiria for giving me something Sistersish but different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRuaoF-WqhU
Not that different - I assume :von: gets royalties for the direct Walk Away chord sequence in the chorus.
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Same here! I saw them a few times,often by accident,including the time they played The Mish fanclub gig in Sheffield,and once supporting Danielle Dax at Rock City,despite being a big fan,the first I knew they were playing was when I saw their t shirts on the merch stand.
Aaah Danielle Dax, there is a talent surely missed. She had some great songs, was awesome live and had a wit to boot.. I hope she is happy designing gardens :)
Sita

Danielle Dax is designing gardens? :eek:
I loved her back then, too. Watched Time of the Wolves just to see her :D
Dan
Overbomber

mandrake wrote:Aaah Danielle Dax, there is a talent surely missed. She had some great songs, was awesome live and had a wit to boot.. I hope she is happy designing gardens :)
Oh, does she not do music any more, that's a shame. I first heard her music when I went to a Salvation gig and she was the headliner, went on to buy several of her albums.
elevation

Motor, motor, motor, motor, motorhead :D

Yeah, Nosferatu are pretty cool.

I like the 'There is no substitute for Sisters of Mercy' post. Very true.
Prescott

Prescott wrote:The Merry Thoughts. Whose lyrics, I'm afraid, are far from one dimensional. Also, it is true that their back catalog is out of print, yet Psychocult is very very available on iTunes.

tMt are easily the next best thing.

For something more current, I would have to say

miserylab
Update: The Merry Thoughts "Second Generation" EP, long out-of-print, has been mysteriously put up on iTunes as of June 7,2011. Which is really strange, as I assumed that Dion Fortune records was defunct?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maybe tMt has someone watching here?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Prescott

markfiend wrote:Maybe tMt has someone watching here?
Yes! Looks like someone is active again and recently updated their website!

http://themerrythoughts.com/
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Bloody hell, people. Try to listen to something a little contemporary, eh? And a little... good?

How about The National, or, at a pinch, Editors?

Or, Disappears are doing the Suicide thing pretty well, right now...

G
[repeat x40]