RSD BBC Sessions release

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

...and our own Tim Sinister's (The Blogging Goth) review video from YooToob
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
mh
Above the Chemist

According to amazon.co.uk this is now at #2 in their "CDs and Vinyl" best sellers, and #1 in "Pop".

I think there may be some wires crossed with a Jimi Hendrix sessions disc, but hey - a #1 disc for the Sisters, even if by accident, is quite an achievement in 2021. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

So, how do these things sound? I see some talk of remastering... are the any different to the available bootlegs, or to the stuff on the streaming services?
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

alanm wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 15:50 So, how do these things sound? I see some talk of remastering... are the any different to the available bootlegs, or to the stuff on the streaming services?
Very good sound quality; better than any bootlegs I've heard. Which makes sense as presumably these have been mastered directly from the BBC's original tapes rather than from someone's sh!tty recording from the radio.

I've not listened to the streaming versions.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 09:09
alanm wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 15:50 So, how do these things sound? I see some talk of remastering... are the any different to the available bootlegs, or to the stuff on the streaming services?
Very good sound quality; better than any bootlegs I've heard. Which makes sense as presumably these have been mastered directly from the BBC's original tapes rather than from someone's sh!tty recording from the radio.

Thank heavens, so many years of crappy bootlegs. My favorite track here remains No Time To Cry in early form. I always wondered about the vocals...for the verses, did they have echo/delay effects on Andrew, and then Andrew and Wayne do the chorus (with more effects)?
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm not 100% sure who does the vox on NTTC - there's been a lot of debate around that on Farcebook.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Are the mixes any different to the ones on the recent digital versions that were for sale?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Moderate Mick
Road Kill

I wonder who will update Wikipedia and other sites now there is an actual new album?
mh
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 16:13 Are the mixes any different to the ones on the recent digital versions that were for sale?
I haven't heard them, but I have heard from reliable sources that stuff like the glitch at the start of Floorshow, and the missing high frequencies on the 84 session, are all fixed.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Moderate Mick wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 18:37 I wonder who will update Wikipedia and other sites now there is an actual new album?
No worries, it's already @discogs and I'll update the SistersWiki in the coming days ...
https://www.discogs.com/The-Sisters-Of- ... er/2218273
https://sisterswiki.org/Albums#Record_Company_Releases
Swinnow
Overbomber

mh wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 18:52 I haven't heard them, but I have heard from reliable sources that stuff like the glitch at the start of Floorshow, and the missing high frequencies on the 84 session, are all fixed.
Good news, thank you.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Moderate Mick
Road Kill

Thank you and presumably Good Things can come off the extensive list of unreleased tracks?

No worries, it's already @discogs and I'll update the SistersWiki in the coming days ...
https://www.discogs.com/The-Sisters-Of- ... er/2218273
https://sisterswiki.org/Albums#Record_Company_Releases
[/quote]
Pista
Cureboi

mh wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 18:52
Pista wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 16:13 Are the mixes any different to the ones on the recent digital versions that were for sale?
I haven't heard them, but I have heard from reliable sources that stuff like the glitch at the start of Floorshow, and the missing high frequencies on the 84 session, are all fixed.
Wow.
Thanks for the tip. :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Electrochrome wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 14:52
markfiend wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 09:09

Thank heavens, so many years of crappy bootlegs. My favorite track here remains No Time To Cry in early form. I always wondered about the vocals...for the verses, did they have echo/delay effects on Andrew, and then Andrew and Wayne do the chorus (with more effects)?
Quite good actually…you can hear that it‘s not a weeklong remastered digital studio recording, but the difference to the taped broadcastings is absolutely obvious. My personal highlights are Good Things and Jolene as the only ones never available before in such a quality.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Pre-ordered the CD yesterday, just under $20 to Florida. I'll take it...spent way more than that on bootlegs and happy to have some kind of actual real product...!

In terms of material, would have preferred this anyway over the (fictional) Sisterhood release.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I noticed yesterday:

Why is Floorshow billed as "Floor Show"?
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

This one comes straight from the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/s ... rsofmercy/
TRACKLIST

Alice
Good Things
Floor Show
I assume that the original error is on the part of the BBC, and not that the band themselves had temporarily renamed it "Floor Show", as the 1981 demo tape had "Floorshow". One should tut disapprovingly.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

All bootlegs have at least one typo, but this is the only one I own which is so shoddy the bootlegger missed off an entire side of the record
Goths have feelings too
Pista
Cureboi

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

"COMING SOON: NATIONAL HOME-FURNISHINGS EXPO '82 !!
featuring
EXTENSIVE FLOOR SHOW
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Finally got hold of my copy of the BBC Sessions double vinyl.

Well, without wanting to be the voice of doom and gloom, I’ve got to say that I don’t think the issues with the 1984 Peel session have been fixed. I’m pretty sure these are the same versions that are available for download and streaming. I haven’t listened on headphones yet, so maybe someone could say I’m wrong, but I think the audio is still lacking the higher frequencies. Take Emma for example - the hi-hats are barely audible.

I can’t imagine the new CD version will be any different - and it’s so disappointing after all this time. I don’t know what’s happened with the transfer of this session, I’m sure some more hi-fi savvy members of the forum will be able to explain...

Also the first note of No Time to Cry is chopped off, exactly the same as the downloads.

If you listen to the versions available on YouTube, or the recordings that I think were shared here, the difference is night and day.
paint it black

I don’t bother much now however perhaps it’s a clone of the JP session as broadcast rather than the session itself? I have an unedited recording and JP spoke over the first few notes (which you can hear in the background. I think he also talked over the end of Emma
Goths have feelings too
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Don't know, I think it's more likely to be good old fashioned shoddiness and a lack of care.

The two earlier sessions sound great by the way!
paint it black

Well KJ deffo spoke over the start of HL . Got the record and CD not got around to listening to either as yet
Goths have feelings too
mh
Above the Chemist

Von did mention that one of the original masters had been destroyed, so maybe that was the 1984 session. It would certainly explain the ongoing issues with it.