Geek Anvil (currently geeking...)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the brother in law has got a 50" 3d tv. watched a couple of 3d films at xmas - avatar 3d, and another one i forget - along with some normal tv 3d-ified

wasn't hugely impressed tbh :|

best thing was playing mario kart on the wii in 'imposed' 3d :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

along with a couple of other guys i recently gave an industry talk on using a piece of software (called Axure RP Pro).

the slides, photos & sample project files are now online...

http://northern-user-experience.org/201 ... sentations

check out yours truly in the photos :lol: ;D
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:along with a couple of other guys i recently gave an industry talk on using a piece of software (called Axure RP Pro).

the slides, photos & sample project files are now online...

http://northern-user-experience.org/201 ... sentations

check out yours truly in the photos :lol: ;D
The audience seem, erm, captivated. Or should that be 'captive' :wink:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

they do, don't they :lol:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I wanted to set something up for recording audio (voice-overs, training narration, etc) that would stop the microphone recording the sound of the room. Figured that only the microphone needed to be shielded, so didn't need to build a complete recording booth. Found some ideas on line, but the problem was they didn't have a way of mounting the thing on a mic stand.

Started with a 14" fabric cube from the Container Store, a 2'x4' piece of acoustic foam from Sam Ash, 2 pieces of 12"x12" thin gauge steel, 2 5/8" microphone flanges, and a handful of nuts, bolts and washers. It sounds great! :D

"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

for fiendy:

jQuery tools - the missing ui library for jQuery

http://flowplayer.org/tools/demos/index.html

adds loads of commonly used ui features - tabs, carousels, lightboxes, expose areas, html5 form validation, etc etc
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oo sniny!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

this is also really nice for creating divs that you can stack, re-order, flow etc - all dynamically

http://isotope.metafizzy.co/

i've used it for the news items here:

http://maiatheband.com/#news

you can't really tell at the moment because the news divs are similar heights due to the amount of content on in each one, but if they weren't the same they'd all flow nicely like this:

http://isotope.metafizzy.co/demos/layout-modes.html

:D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

cartter wrote:Have you seen the movie yet?

I watched it last night. It's pretty good.
I think that for the people that have had that "dream" there is something in that documentary that we can all relate to in some way.
Whu?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Funny solution @ EvilBastard^^
Big Si
School Bully

markfiend wrote:
cartter wrote:Have you seen the movie yet?

I watched it last night. It's pretty good.
I think that for the people that have had that "dream" there is something in that documentary that we can all relate to in some way.
Whu?
:wink:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Need help on 'Optical' cabling from my LG telly to my Yamaha amp, I need about 35 feet or else it's total upheaval in my room. The new telly doesn't have a phono or small jack out so, I gotta go down the 'Optical' route unless I can do something with the three phono set up the red/white/yellow cables that I seem to have an abundance of.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

So waddayaneed, Blastykins? I'd guess your biggest problem is going to be finding an optical cable long enough - the longest I've seen them is 5m (15' or so), and afaik there are technical limitations that stop them from being much longer without needing a booster.

I'm really surprised your telly doesn't have a headphone jack, though - are you sure? What's the model?
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You could string a load of phono cables together with RCA couplers but 35 feet is going to be pushing it quality-wise on those too I reckon...
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

The deal is this, I have an old (but very good) 60W Kenwood amp hooked up to a coupla secondhand JVC speakers over by the telly/dvd/video/blurray/+box, I used to use a small jack to phono plugs to get the snoud out of the old telly. At the other end of the room is my gorgeous Yamaha DSP-A5 amp hooked up to a pair of stunning bass heavy 1975 Goodman Mezzos, this is used for playing the iMac/old DVD player that works as a really good CD player/tape decks. I would prefer not to swap the amps around, ultimately it's no big deal: the Yamaha has a handset so I could still control it from the other side of the room, it's just that I play music more than I watch telly. On the other hand (we have a foot) I could just buy another Yamaha amp, richer Snouds are doing one at £179 that has HDMI inputs. Trust me the model of telly I bought doesn't have an heidfoan out, it does have twa sets of these tho
is there no way some combination of these would work?
back of telly minus no. 13 honest!
ImageImage
back of Yamaha
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

What about doing it the other way around?

Put your dvd/video/bluray equipment over by the Yamaha, run the a/v outputs from them through the Yam, then have a single cable run from the Monitor Out jack on the back of the Yam (I have a similar model, it is Teh Lush!) to the telly.

PS you could also run the cable from the amp to the speakers - some nice heavy oxygen-free copper should sort you out.
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

eh... can I have a version for the old, infirm and hard of thinking :oops:
how does the image from t'devices get to telly via amp?

Is it on the trolley?
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Reet, la' - connect the video outputs of yer gubbins to the Video Signal Inputs (pages 12 and 13 of The Manual) - you've got 4 ports there (the ones in the middle, to the right of where it says Monitor Out).

Then, using short-run optical cables, connect the audio outputs to the Digital Signal ports (you've got three of them) - your video probably doesn't have an optical output, so connect the red/white audio cable from the video to the IN ports labelled VCR (down at the bottom). Just make sure that you connect the audio and video cables to the appropriate ports - if the optical cable out the bluray goes to the CBL/SAT OPTICAL input, make sure that that video cable out the bluray goes to the CBL/SAT input as well. If you're using an ol-skool co-ax cable to get telly off an aerial on the roof, run that through the video rather than directly into the back of the telly.

This makes your amp the audio and video hub for all your bits.

Now connect a bog-standard RCA cable from the Monitor Out port on the back of the amp to the AV IN 2 Video port on the back of the telly (section 14 of the Telly picture).

Connect your speakers to the back of the amp.

And Robert is your father's brother. So long as the Source on your telly is set to AV IN 2 it will display whatever video input you've selected on the amp.

Seemples! 8)
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

all chili/digit/pudenda based misdemeanours are forever expunged :notworthy:
:D

I'll take a stiff drink before I try any of what you recommend, of course :lol:
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

No worries, matey - I ran the same set up when I bought a new telly a little while back, it was only after I read the manual for the amp that I realised that I could use it for video and audio (I mean, I'd only had the thing 7 years :lol: )
Hank Moody
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Manuals, pah!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

I'm in the process of becoming a Macoid. Just thought I'd send out a general warning that I've finally gone over to the Dark Side... ;D
James Blast
Banned

We have such pleasures to show you.

~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Oi! Get your entertainment system sorted out, you! :lol:
Hank Moody
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Speedball 2 Evolution for iphone/ipad

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id402172290

59p

i used to love the original years ago ;D